ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Revisors

BlacknTan

I've been on the Revisor website looking for a Christmas gift for my good self. Unfortunately, I took Spanish in High School and even forgot most of that. Google translate does a servicable job, but it's not ideal.
Here's the razor I'm looking at.. Pretty plain and basic with no blade adornment, which for me is a plus.

http://www.revisor-solingen.de/html/6_8_28.html

The website lists the material as Normalstahl. Google translates that to "mild steel." Mild steel in the US is CRS, or Cold Rolled steel, a material that can only be case hardened. That cannot be right.
Does anyone have any idea of the alloy? And Bart, is this similar to the Revisors you received, and if so, what do you think of them?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Its carbon steel Bill, just like all other razors that are not stainless, or the slightly differing carbon steel that used to be called "Silver Steel" rest assured the blade is made from top notch stuff :thumbup:

Oh and it looks very nice too..lol

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

That is a beautiful blade well mounted at what I would call a pittance! If it were an old Sheffield blade it would bring a high price.
Respectfully
~Richard

Beautiful blade.

Also, I die a little inside each time I hear "carbon steel". But that's another story...

That's a seller razor...
Digital translations are never accurate, and knowing Revisor they would Never make a shaving razor from mild or cold rolled steel...

It's like looking at a new motor vehicle online and the translation says "All Terrain High Traction Dunlop plastic tires"... you know that must be wrong.

danjared said:
Beautiful blade.

Also, I die a little inside each time I hear "carbon steel". But that's another story...

? thats what its called ??

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Direct translated would probably be something like normal steel, as in not stainless
Carbon steel hmfr steel comes basicaly in steel and stainless steel
I do believe iron and carbon is requred to make steel so its kindof a wasted word

Now high carbon or lo carbon is a description that actually make sense(yet we talk of razors so its pretty much a given)

Yes, I believe "carbon steel" is a backformation from the use of "high/medium/low carbon steel". "Carbon steel" is a bit redundant, like saying "vanilla-flavored vanilla ice cream". You can't take the vanilla flavoring out of vanilla ice cream and can't take the carbon out of the steel (because then it's just iron with some non-carbon contaminents). Perhaps the term "ordinary steel", "normal steel" or "plain steel" (or HCS, which I believe all razors are made of anyway) would be more appropriate, although "carbon steel" still has a very high usage. Regardless, the usage of this abomination is high.

Back to the topic at hand, though...

Okay, brain teaser time: How many drop forges producing razor blanks are left in operation in Solingen?

Robin, you've made the point before that Herkenrath is the only remaining drop forge in Solingen, and hence delivers blanks to all the current manufacturers. But that doesn't mean they only forge one type of steel. I would imagine that they'd forge whatever formulation is ordered. I have been told that Dovo has at least 4 different steel formulations: Stainless, "silversteel", A Swedish steel (Sandvik), and a common HCS.
I don't know if Revisor places large enough orders at Herkenrath to get much of a choice, but nonetheless, I 'll take any Revisor blade over any Dovo. Maybe it's in their heat treatment, maybe in the steel, probably both.

BlacknTan said:
And Bart, is this similar to the Revisors you received, and if so, what do you think of them?
The Revisors I have purchased for experimental purposes have a common full hollow grind with a double stabilizer.
The blade you're looking at is a shoulderless grind. They're likely a bit less hollow ground, to cover for the absence of a stabilizer. The feel is slightly different for shaving. When I negotiated with Revisor (through Robin) about the purchase, I specifically asked for their highest grade steel. I've only honed one of the test blades and it took the great edge I've become to expect on Revisor razors. The razor you've linked to is both beautiful and a top notch shaver. If I was in the market for a new razor today, it would either be that one or a 6/8 Thiers Issard in rams horn scales.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thanks for the info Bart.

And, back on the subject, the designations of stainless, silver steel, High Carbon and others are relatively meaningless and leave a wide latitude to describe the steel actually used. Perhaps that is by design to prevent sourcing problems of the various alloys, but I feel the makers could be just a wee bit more forthcoming.

They used to have the specs for their steel on the page. It's still avaliable elsewhere, this dates back to 2009:

Spezialstahl Werkstoff Nr. 1.2210 (115CrV3)

1,16%C, 0,25%Si, 0,29%Mn, 0,014%P, 0,004%S, 0,65%Cr, 0,087%V

Hardening: 760-840°C (water/oil) Tempering: 180-250°C

59-64 HRc

That's very interesting. Thanks for posting that. You don't happen to know this information for other razor manufacturers as well?

Kind regards,
Bart.

I'll take a Revisor over about any other razor. They are easy to hone, hold a fantastic edge and generally things of real beauty.

@Bart: No, sorry. I've seen the treatment of friodur (440c irc) published somewhere but I'm unable to find it.

The values for tempering above look intentionally vague, the ranges seem wide and no times are given.

I'd guess that the results from hardening vary always a bit from batch to batch, knowing how close it was for the optinum of the steel of a particular blank might be more interesting than the steel itself (as long as it's usable for making razors).

That is quite a wide range for the heat treating numbers..

When we used to heat treat regular O1, we attempted to hold temps within range of 1480-1520 F. with an immediate quench in oil. Those temps vary from 1400-1550 F. The temperatures for heat treating are quite critical.

Back