ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Scale material.

torbenbp

Gents..I`m not sure where to put this thread but here goes:

I`d like to try some other kind of material for scales than wood..

I`ve been searching for ...G10 (?) material but can find any places to buy it in small quantities. Or the right thickness..

So the million dollar question is: Where the heck do you guys get it??

regards

Thanks Ray ..

Yes I heard it`s a pain to work with...But the kind of wood I have acces to is also a pain;-)
And.. is there any other material easier to work with...?

So you would not recommend trying it out? And btw...as all the measurements are in inches..Something Europeans (I) have a hard time with....what would the right thickness be in inches? Stupid question...

Asking because, previously attempts lately with wood ..all cracked..

Regards gents

torbenbp said:
Thanks Ray ..

So you would not recommend trying it out? And btw...as all the measurements are in inches..Something Europeans (I) have a hard time with....what would the right thickness be in inches? Stupid question...

I can relate to that! being a physics student I only work in metric. Imperial - what that?....

A useful relation is 1 Inch = 2.54cm. So as im sure you can work out, just divide the amount in inches by 2.54 or 25.4 to convert to cm or mm respectively.

All the best,

James

:rolleyes: Well Ray.. I like thin black scales!

It`s for a Wostenholm Celebrated Hollow Ground...
a Hennes By Peter Hennes ,Sollingen

And a couple of others......

The problem with the type of wood I have acess to,is that it cracks. Not right away,but after a few months.

Also cutting the wood in the right dimensions is a problem...all I`ve got is some very uneven pieces of scale blanks. And as I do it all at the kitchen table or sitting on the floor..it really is quite difficult. (Try holding a small piece of timber with your feets while working on it..hahahaah...)

So I figured a piece of G10 (?) would be an easier task..hmmmm...

Regards gents

Hey there !

These are what I make for some of my blades as well as for some other folks. The two top scales are about 1 to 1.5 mm thick and to date I have not had any that I have made split. I use a home made type of sealer/hardening solution that has never let me down. They are all hand made. I carve each one then hand sand them down to 1500 grit wet/dry paper. Anyway, thought I would share.

03032010001.jpg

Hey there !

These are what I make for some of my blades as well as for some other folks. The two top scales are about 1 to 1.5 mm thick and to date I have not had any that I have made split. I use a home made type of sealer/hardening solution that has never let me down. They are all hand made. I carve each one then hand sand them down to 1500 grit wet/dry paper. Anyway, thought I would share.

03032010001.jpg

Hi Steward.....did the same thing..but they always crack..Dont know `bout the W&B at Barts,but that would be the only one remaining. Tried with oak,mahogany and jobola (?)...

Guess it comes down to my poor woodworking abbilities....hmmmmmm

Regards

erhh..yes that was my plan..?
Might I ask why?

The W&B is rescaled with some sucess..well Bart can answer that better as it is at his place at the moment..the Wostenholm..ahh made scales for it the other day..and threw them away. Drilling holes for the blade went wrong...tough luck!

If you`d like the Wostenholm we can surely work it out:) One favour is worth another.
It needs some work as it shows quite some discolorration,but the blade is fine.

Regards to you Ray

Send me both of them then. I will rescale them in something more deserving to their tradition. If you don't have my address, then pm me and I will send it to you.

Ray

erhhh...thanks Ray..

Heck...Thanks!

Right... :) :thumbup:

Regards to you Ray!

15 mins. later..hmmmm..sometimes good things happend to peoble not deserving it;-)

You're one lucky dog, Torben! :thumbup:

Ray's scales, oh maaan... :)

kind regards,
Matt

Yeah...I`m really completely speechless. And very honored and gratefull and...What can one say but: Whooopieeee yes yes yes:thumbup:

Regards gents

Now..pardon my stupidity..I`ve been looking at G-10 materials for scales and decided to try it out someday. But should the thickness be 1/8 inch??
Ohhh those measurements in inches...confusing to say the least:p

Regards
Torben

Torben,

Let me introduce a new old friend to you, Uncle Google. :) Check this out: example of Google's calculation. You can do a really lot of computations this way, far more than just unit conversions. :thumbup:

So... I guess [sup]1[/sup]/[sub]8[/sub] inch is acceptable? Unless you do some heavy grinding?

kind regards,
Matt

Thanks..
And _no_ do absolutely not want any heavy grinding! ;)
This stuff should be a real pain to work with, so I`ll be going for as less grinding as posssible. And most surely avoid grinding a mm or so off the thickness.

Thanks Matt
regards

torbenbp said:
Now..pardon my stupidity..I`ve been looking at G-10 materials for scales and decided to try it out someday. But should the thickness be 1/8 inch??
Ohhh those measurements in inches...confusing to say the least:p

Regards
Torben

Torben,

G-10 is nothing more than layers of fiberglass laid up under pressure. It is somewhat difficult to work with and very toxic as well. The difficulty is mostly in the time consumed trying to maintain symatry around the scale as you expose the different layers of fiberglass. Once you inadvertently do so, you lose your smooth visual flow and may need to start all over again.

Toodles,

Ray

Back