ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Searching for my perfect Coticule

Ok, I proudly present the end of my search (well, at least for now… you never really know.):

5454579.jpg

It´s a beautiful selected No.10 Bout. It´s length is about 13cm, and it´s somewhere near 7cm wide. The first few sharpening attempts look pretty good.

Here is a scan, where you can see the surface and one side:

5454580.jpg

As you can see, it has some beautiful white lines on the surface and small coticule inclusions in the bbw layer.

Any idea, which layer I have here?

Kind regards,
Tok

A combo with white lines in the BBW... Look no further.
That, my friend, is a La Veinette.

:thumbup:
Bart.

IMHO You wont get better, I do love mine :thumbup:
Nice to use, and amazingly smooth edges
And I do mean Amazingly Smooth, so mellow one can be forgiven for thinking the razor is not sharp, until you feel the BBS face you have just shaved of course.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Score!:w00t:

I had a shave yesterday, with a full hollow Ern, sharpened on the la Veinette. Normally, I didn´t like shaving ATG with full hollow razors, but this time, it felt pretty good. I used the unicot method. I´m still learning, though. But, still: it looks like my search has come to an end. I am even thinking about selling all the other stones I have (it´s not that much, though).

In fact, another interesting thing happened when I started using coticules for finishing: I use to shave with two razors, one WTG, one ATG. Before, I did it because I felt the razor getting dull, and a fresh razor was a nice thing to have. Right now, I still do it, but I have the strong suspicion, that the Razor stays sharp much longer. Good thing and another plus on the coti side; at least for me:thumbup:

Now, I need some razors to get to know my new la Veinette:w00t:

Kind Regards,
Tok

I have just shaved for 6 days straight with the same razor, coticule honed of course, and I go wtg, xtg, and atg x2 every shave, the shaves I get are still as nice as when I honed the razor, you should most defiantly get a good few full shaves off the same edge, I believe Ray kept the same edge going for months

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Tok said:
I used to shave with two razors, one WTG, one ATG. Before, I did it because I felt the razor getting dull, and a fresh razor was a nice thing to have.
Been there, done that. :rolleyes: If I may take a guess? You relied on some serious pasted stropping to get your razor's shaving well?

Kind regards,
Bart.

Well… maybe:blush:

But it´s no longer an issue for me. Still, having so many razors, I have to find a way to use themB)

Regards,
Tok

Tok said:

But it´s no longer an issue for me. Still, having so many razors, I have to find a way to use themB)

Regards,
Tok
well if you don't find use for it there are enough volunteers who are willing to take care of them:lol:

cheers
Stijn

geruchtemoaker said:
Tok said:

Regards,
Tok
well if you don't find use for it there are enough volunteers who are willing to take care of them:lol:

cheers
Stijn

Yup. For free, even !! That's how generous & kind we are !!!

Wow, how generous you are!

Shaved with the Ern again, two passes with the Ern only: no dulling in between.
I´ve read somewhere, that some people strop between the passes…

Regards,
Tok

Stropping between passes is okay, it usually has to do with your hair type and how thick it is. If it is thick then stropping helps refine the edge a bit.

Tok said:

Regards,
Tok

You should not need to strop between passes on a well honed razor, I can do a full 3 passes on my face and 2 on my head without stropping
Hope this helps?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
Tok said:

Regards,
Tok

You should not need to strop between passes on a well honed razor, I can do a full 3 passes on my face and 2 on my head without stropping
Hope this helps?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I don´t do it, I just read about guys doing it. Two passes without stropping are no problem at all.

Another question: Is the La Veinette known to be slow on water? Yesterday, I struggled with the final step on two razors, I sharpened (Unicot). I did maybe 150-200 laps at the final stage without getting anywhere. Then, I went to the suspected to be la Grosse Blanche (The one in the very first picture), did about 100 laps on plain water and The Razors got there. This annoys me a bit. I like the idea of using one stone from the very beginnig to the end.

Regards, Tok

tat2Ralfy said:
Tok said:

Regards,
Tok

Hope this helps?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I don´t do it, I just read about guys doing it. Two passes without stropping are no problem at all.

Another question: Is the La Veinette known to be slow on water? Yesterday, I struggled with the final step on two razors, I sharpened (Unicot). I did maybe 150-200 laps at the final stage without getting anywhere. Then, I went to the suspected to be la Grosse Blanche (The one in the very first picture), did about 100 laps on plain water and The Razors got there. This annoys me a bit. I like the idea of using one stone from the very beginnig to the end.

Regards, Tok

Tok,

I have got a La Veinette too (it's my only hone:blush: )

Tok said:
Is the La Veinette known to be slow on water? Yesterday, I struggled with the final step on two razors, I sharpened (Unicot). I did maybe 150-200 laps at the final stage without getting anywhere.

I have only honed 2 razors with UNICOT and have followed strictly the standard procedure just adding maybe 10-20 X-strokes on plain water to check if I could improve the HHT (and also because I am a real beginner and thought my X-strokes were not very efficient).
The only issue I have got with UNICOT was the thickness of my tape ( Bart's procedure was given for a 0.15 mm thick tape),
mine was 0.1mm. When I used just one layer(=0.1mm), HHT was at best 2 and with 2 layers (=0.2mm) HHT was a good 3.

Laurent

Indeed. So far, there has not been one hone in the Vault that didn't perform with the Unicot procedure within the lap counts given in the article. If you have to do much more, something is definitely wrong.
Using less thick tape can be a possible cause for failure. Another often made mistake is to use a too dense slurry or too many laps during step 5.

But 150 laps during the finishing stage is definitely a sign that something went wrong.
The additional 100 on another stone probably made up for the problem, I suspect you would have done them on the same COticule as well.
That said, some difference in speed can be found between Coticules, even while working on plain water. But most La Grosse Blanches are slower that a La Veinette.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
(…) But most La Grosse Blanches are slower that a La Veinette.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Well, we don´t really know, whether it is La Grosse Blanche, do we? This stone feels and looks much coarser than my La Veinette. By looks, I mean this: When I look from the side, La Veinette shows a little shimmer, as if some parts of the surface are polished (Hard to explain…). The suspected-to-be Grosse Blanche looks gritty. It has no shimmer at all. It also feels gritty, but it leaves a nice edge.

Anyway, the hint with the tape could do the trick. I use two kinds of tape, because the tape I use at the first stage is very thick. Have to give it a try. Thank you all.

Kindest Regards,
Tok

Success!

Yes, it was the tape. Honed a Reynolds yesterday. The smile of the blade drove me crazy, middle sharp, rest wasn´t, so I went back and sharpened in Parts. Starting at the toe, then middle, then heel. Worked very well, sharpness all over the blade.

Also, I have to admit, that my statement about the look of the surfaces was incorrect.:blush: I took a closer look and I must say, that the surfaces of the two hones nearly look the same (Not the color, just the surface structure).

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind regards,
Tok

Back