ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

slurry

garyhaywood

I just wanted to point out the differance in the slurry of my coticules.

What i have noticed is i can create the same thickness of slurry on both my coticules'

for example my coti nu 3 with a good slurry would never shave arm hair.
My 21 with a slurry even a thicker slurry will shave arm hair.

My nu 3 is ultra fast cutter, my nu 21 is moderate cutter.

the faster cutter seems to slurry dull where as my 21 does'nt infact i can reach keeness much easier on my nu 21.

So what i'm doing is using my Nu 3 coticule for bevel setting. I then use my coti 21 for the dilution and finishing/touch up's , the results are fantastic.

i would never of thought slurry on coticules could vary so much, i supose this is what makes them very differant to all other hones.

With nu 3 alone the same can be achieved except the shave is not quite as smooth as finishing on my 21, bart did tell me my 21 would be a better finisher and he was right.

Thats makes sense both times you said it haha

for sure the faster hone wont give you an edge as sharp as the slower one as easily, its the old garnets dulling the edge I reckon, the faster stone has more garnets so in effect its like the slow one would be with a thicker slurry, Gary did you try the fast stone with a thinner slurry? it would be interesting to see if it still dulls the edge to the same degree?

the faster one if i set bevel with slurry and it passes tpt fairly good i then dilute to more milky slurry and straight away with in 10 to 20 passes i'm shaving arm hair or tpt becomes much stickier.

Indeed gentlemen, Coticule show their biggest varieties when slurry is raised.
Most fast ones level the edge of at a less sharp stage then the slower one. But their many exceptions. Fast ones with keen slurries do exist. I think several factors are at play: average garnet size, garnet concentration, and probably some variance in the shape of the garnets as well. I really should start looking at slurry with a compound microscope. Maybe it will serve some answers, maybe not.
In any case, slurry density (the amount of water) has a large influence on the keenness barrier, but also on the honing speed.

But garnets maybe Coticules' main abrasive particles, they're not alone. Some stones definitely carry some other abrasives as well. Maybe they have an influence on the capabilities as well. I have not the slightest idea.

Best regards,
Bart.

Back