ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Some Consistency and improvement at last!

towliff

I'd just like to thank you all for helping with my honing by giving advice, pointers and of course the methods and articles written by Bart! Gary, I'd like to give you a mention as youve given a ridiculous amount of help and support. :thumbup: cheers.

The reason for this - I think ive finally cracked the coticule :p

I honed up my Dovo last night and my Thiers Izzard just now. Both used the same method - dulled on glass, good thick slurry to redo the bevel, get shaving arm hair. Then I choose a different approach and worked on a thick slurry on the blue for 40 laps. Then diluted with 5-10 drops of water so it was nice and thin - like skipping a lot of steps in the Dilucot on the coticule side. 40 - 50 laps given here. Then at this point it breezes through the arm hair. So on goes a layer of tape, a gentle rub of the slurry stone over the coticule for about 25 seconds and a good few drops of water added so it VERY watery but still a small slurry. 25 laps, rinse and 50 on water. Then rinse and rub clean the stone and hone for your hearts content :) I think I did about 100 laps each time at this stage.

As for results, before these two honing attempts, Ive never managed to POP a hair of the coticule before - infact, i could barely get a violin. This time, it was a solid #3 - catch and pop straight from the hone. I was shocked when I got this result! So I took it to the strop and after a decent stroppin session, the Dovo is sitting at a comfortable 4 across the blade, and the TI is between 4 and 5 across the blade. SUCCESS!

Im looking forward to testing them out :rolleyes:

Got a little carried away, It looks like the TI is at a comfortable 4 across the blade, not a 5 :blush:

4 is good enough :thumbup: , dont forget the HHT is a progress test really, the real test is in the shave, did you try yet?? and if not HTF can you wait...lol

I hardly ever get HHT-5...:D
It's on the scale, because you'll get their with lapping film, or diamond paste, but on a stropped Coticule edge, I don't think I ever got 5.

:thumbup: on your success, James. No doubt the shave will be fine.

Bart.

James,
I too have been experimenting with my bbw for the last two weeks. Your observation, concerning the bbw, is quite consistant with mine. I have found it to be a great setup for the coticule and will continue to use it more, as time goes on.

Great work by the way keep us posted.

Ray

Shaved this morning - :thumbup: Nice and close and barely any alum sting :p

Next step is to get down and dirty with the dilucot

towliff said:
Shaved this morning - :thumbup: Nice and close and barely any alum sting :p

Next step is to get down and dirty with the dilucot

:thumbup: :thumbup:

If you don't achieve maximum sharpness using the dilucot you can always slap an extra layer of tape on and do what you've already done to eek out that little extra bit of keenness.

Just had another good honing session :)

Got my DA upto HHT 2 of the hone, 3 after strop, then 3/4 after crox on balsa and another strop.

Also got my Dovo upto HHT 4 after stropping (no crox).

The DA has allways been much less responsive to HHT so im definately looking forward to trying it out in the morning - will compare the difference between the crox and no crox :thumbup:

It would be a more equal test if I was using two of the same razors but hey - beggars cant be choosers :lol:

towliff said:

The DA has allways been much less responsive to HHT.

Double Arrows are not the most finely grained steel, I think. They take a decent edge, but they're quick to reach a certain limit. I'm kinda glad there actually is a difference between a 12 buck DA and a Thiers Isards costing 20 times as much. :)

Best regards,
Bart.

So results are in, and it appears to be a draw! I couldnt really tell the difference, they both cut through the stubble on the chin and tash the same way - in need of slight momentum to get all the way through.

As for smoothness - had the same amount of alum sting on either side of the face (each side done with one razor). So all in all incolnclusive so far! Its probably my shaving technique as im still pretty new to it.

Shall just keep on battling through.

Allthough :)
Bart said:
towliff said:

The DA has allways been much less responsive to HHT.

Double Arrows are not the most finely grained steel, I think. They take a decent edge, but they're quick to reach a certain limit. I'm kinda glad there actually is a difference between a 12 buck DA and a Thiers Isards costing 20 times as much. :)

Best regards,
Bart.

Seeing this makes me think, if I hadnt used the crox, the shave may have been a little less comfortable with the DA than the Dovo - maybe more drag on the face or something?

To be honest, I'm over the moon - ive reached a stage where all I need is my coticule and a strop (without pastes) to get a decent shave. Also, im sure theres yet more room for improvement, so its only getting better from here :thumbup:

Sounds to me like you did well.:thumbup:

You could try CrO on the Dovo. If it improves, you know your margin for betterment.
In my personal experience, I can't improve a well honed Coticule edge with a CrO stropping.

Best regards, and thanks for sharing your results,
Bart.

Nice to see your enjoying honing and the results your getting. I just honed a dovo special and a dovo ebony both brand new. I use dilicot as i always do and they both hit easy 4/5 HHt. I just read what bart has said , that da don't respond quite as well, that is what i have found .I have been using 3 da's constantly for honing and have improved so much so i don't use any paste. the shaves have been so smooth after finishing on my coti 21 from the vault i carn't believe the differance. I have the TI silver wing which i'm using as my shaver at the moment ,finished on coticule edge its a beautiful shaver. I like the TI's there nice razors.

Back