ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Some issues...

jfdupuis

Hey guys,

Well I tried to work on my wacker a bit more with the dilucot method..well i don't know if my stone is a difficult one to use with the dilucot method, but i ended up adding some tape to use the unicot. Since this is a pretty expensive razor, i think i will hold off until i get my double arrows to practuce on.

Jf

Disburden

I know some of us considering unicot as "settling" for a different method but there's nothing wrong with it. :thumbup:

jfdupuis

Hey,

That's how i feel too. I feel like a failure because i can't get my razor spot on with the dilucot

Disburden

Did you try to stretch out the dilution steps longer and maybe add some more strokes in between the drops of water? That helped me when I was figuring my stone out. Then all I had to do was adjust from there.

jfdupuis

I did. I've heard that the wacker has quite hard steel so it might not be the best razor to hone up my skills on

jfdupuis

If you're dealing with harder steel... Would you simply add a few more passes with water only? If so how many over the recommended 50 ?

Bart

How far do you get?

Does the razor shows any HHT responsiveness when you're finished (not stropped, mind you)?

Kind regards,
Bart.

jfdupuis

Hey

Razor is super sticky to the thump but shows little response to the hht test even after stropping

Paul

Nick,

Have you figured out your La Nouvelle Vein yet? I'm evaluating one for a friend, and I see how it can be kind of frustrating. :lol:

Paul

P.S. I also wanted to ask what strata the OP's coticule is, not just hijack the thread...

Disburden

richmondesi said:
Please, Log in or Register to view quote content!

I've been getting good edges off mine now. All it took was some stretching out of the dilution phases and adding a few strokes in between. Oh and the slurry I've been using is very light indeed! Keep it up!

Paul

Disburden said:

Yeah, I remember reading about that before. I did 15-ish sets of 20 half-strokes after setting the bevel (actually did 5 dulling strokes on glass because I could feel imperfections in the edge that weren't visible to me), and it took quite a while to get a passable edge (probably 30 minutes all told). Tonight's shave was pretty good, but I could feel some tugging (pain free which was weird), no blood, and bbs mellow finish... I'm certain I can squeeze some more keenness out of the stone, but it's a bit different than my others.

Disburden

richmondesi said:

You can see why, as my first coti, this stone made me think this coticule honing thing was insane lol. Ofcourse, I learned otherwise with practice. As you add water the stone gets considerably slower so I increase stroke counts as I feel is needed. For example two dilution steps ago I made 15 strokes, but now the stone is slower so I did 25 strokes and etc.

The pink Droescher coticule I posted is a lot easier to use but I love this stone still.

jfdupuis

Hey guys,

I'm not sure the kinds of coticule. I posted some pics earlier. I noticed onr thibg today, i went back to myfirst stone which would barelh create anh slurrh at first. What i did this time was to use the slurry stone i got with my second stone and wow what a difference! The stone now creates slurry with ease!

I took my red imp 132 for a spin last night and got the razor to a comfortable silent hht4 or 5 except for the heelnof the razor.