ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Spalted Pecan

torbenbp

Gentlemen.

This will be a translantic and interactive :)rolleyes: )project.

Together with a generous restore of a W&B Barbers Rattler,Ray kindly supplied a set of spalted pecan scales. They were allready cut and shaped. I took the liberty of drilling holes for the blade and some additional sanding,hope you wont mind Ray. The scales just fits perfectly to a restored blade : A 288 Capitol Solingen Germany. This is surely a cheap razor but it does take a nice edge and it was actually my first good shave with a straight razor ;-)

Ray will be the chief in command but advice regarding pins,washers and wedge will be most appreciated.

The project will start when some additional backing arrives from Ray`s.

20845_1443602163016_1021973112_1310548_6864439_n.jpg

So Ray,I`m ready in you time and when the backing lands safely ;-)

Thanks gents and especially you Ray.

Kind regards

Torbs

Wow, that's the wood with character, very good-looking!

I'd grieve to see those bulleyes with it, IMHO the scales call for something that doesn't compete with their beauty.

Kudos for Ray!

regards,
Matt

I cannot wait to see what you 2 come up with, I do agree on a rather understated approach to hardware, as Matt says.
I would use "Ralfys new antique style Handmades" for the washers, and maybe a simple perspex for the wedge?
I can make you both if you desire?

BTW Torbs, package sent my friend, I hope you enjoy :thumbup:

My warmest regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Ahhh...thanks Ralfy,that would be great :thumbup:
So this a true international project then..wonderful!

And I might have another suggestion for the blade ..a..let me see..Wostenholm Celebrated Hollow Ground..wonder if it will fit though. Will check it tommorow.

And you are both right,simple hardware will be desirable in this case.

Thanks guys
Torbs

Another vote for clean, simple hardware.

That is a beautiful piece of wood. Let is be the star of this rescale project.
One frivolity if you can handle it: line the wedge with very thin sheet metal in the same color as the pins and washers. It will add luxury to the design and look like a million bucks.

But whatever you and Ray decide, I'm sure it'll look just great.

Enjoy!

Bart.

Torben,
Everyone is correct about simplicity here. Try not to detract from the lines in the scales. Lining the wedge will almost be a must as well.

If you don't plan on using some type of stain to modify the color of this wood, then you can begin to seal the outside surfaces with CA. You don't need to do the backs since you will be gluing the backing anyway. Remember to put about 12 coats of CA on each scale and sand about every 4. You only need to sand to about 320 each time until the final sanding, which should be to 2000k. The final finish can only look as good as the surface under it, so don't leave any scratches.

If you were going to stain the spalted wood, then you would very carefully add CA to only the spalted lines. These are softer than the rest of the wood and need to be sealed before staining so that they don't become darker than they already are from the stain.

Once these are ready for the backing get everything ready for gluing. Cut your backing into two rectangular strips, just the right size for each scale, have a flat surface ready, a small board to place on top of the scales, a weight of some kind, epoxy glue and something to mix with. Mix a small amount of epoxy and spread it very lightly, but completely on the back of a scale. Place the scale on the backing material and press it too the flat surface. Wipe away as much of the glue as you can that oozes out the edge of the scale. Repeat on the other scale. Place the small board on top of both scales and put a weight on top of that and walk away. When the glue is fully dry, remove the weight and board and trim the waste around the scale.

Let us know what it looks like then.

Ray

There's no set of pins that are as elegant and classy as well peened, traditional pins, IMHO. The other stuff looks out of place on a really nice set of scales to my eye. But, you do what will make you happy irrespective of our opinions :)

Thank you very much Ray...I will start to apply CA as soon as possible. As for staining..that would be very interresting to try out, never did that before,but I have to do a bit of research on that one.So will do that before messing with the CA:rolleyes:

Richmondesi.

If I didnt value your opinion on this interresting scales and the making of them, I wouldnt ask for it!:p And I also thought it could be interresting for some of you guys to "participate".

And the plan is also,in the spirit of this site,to lend participators the razor,if there might be any interrest. So its kinda "our" razor.

Thanks again Ray.

So...the scales have been gently sepparated using an old razor blade. The scales are quite fragile and have a very soft feel to them. No wonder they need additional backing.

They are now mounted with small stripes of double sided tape, on a small and crudely made stand,it works very well though. So next will be applying 2-3 layers of linen seed oild and then CA. Gave up the idea of staining as I hav`nt tried it before and wont risc spoiling the scales.
37006_1445448969185_1021973112_1316958_655864_n.jpg

37006_1445449009186_1021973112_1316959_1839134_n.jpg

Splendid, that's it. The closer I look at these, the more I fall in love with them. :) :love:

kind regards,
Matt

Ray

Now ten layers of CA have been patiently applied:rolleyes: The remaining layers will be done today. So it`s likely to have the liner/backing added tommorow..your instructions regarding this is fully understood...but how about the edges of the liner/backing? Meaning after it has been cut and fitted..Will the epoxy be enough to close the pores of the liner or should something extra be prepared?

Kind regards
Torbs

Ralfy

Thank you very much! That will surely be a treat:thumbup:

Havnt made it to the post office yet,but hope to send the DE tommorow.

And the liner/backing were glued on 5 mins ago.

So I`m awaiting further orders for tommorow:w00t:

Torbs

Torben,
The liner material I sent you is vinyl impregnated. There is no need to worry about any pores once you remove the weight from the glued pieces. After the epoxy has set for a day, remove the excess backing from around the edge with whatever means you have available to get it as close to the edge of the scale as you can. Finish with sandpaper for a nice smooth appearance.

Now you can fit and glue the wedge in place. After that is done, sand everything to 2000k starting with 320. There should be absolutely no scratches in the surface. Now you can start to apply the finish to the scales. When you begin this, let me know.

Ray

Back