ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Squealing sound till honing

king

Does anybody have this issue while doing forth-back strokes on Coticule?
Few days ago I honed my Dubl Duck Goldedege and this sound was present while I was doing back strokes (not sound when I move razor forth). Before that I had this sound just with my Iwasaki Kamisori.
So, what you think? Does this depend of steel or I maybe doing something wrong?

That's a though question without hearing it. I sometimes get a disturbing sound, when a short piece of hair ends up in the slurry after the arm hair test. Or even some other foreign particle. I have a woodworking hobby. It happens that sawdust falls out of my hair into the slurry.:rolleyes: Also that may give a disturbing sound (and feel). When if happens, I slow down, locate the source and wipe it off with a finger tip.

Should however, the disturbing noise happen at a fixed spot on the hone, you must suspect and inclusion. But that can also be gelt and heard while finishing on water, so I don't think it's the case here.

If the edge appears undamaged at magnification, I wouldn't be too worried.

Kind regards,
Bart

Bart said:
That's a though question without hearing it. I sometimes get a disturbing sound, when a short piece of hair ends up in the slurry after the arm hair test. Or even some other foreign particle. I have a woodworking hobby. It happens that sawdust falls out of my hair into the slurry.:rolleyes: Also that may give a disturbing sound (and feel). When if happens, I slow down, locate the source and wipe it off with a finger tip.
Kind regards,
Bart

I understand what you talk about but that is not that.
I will try to explain sound little bit more: so, I hope thet you know sound when you try to close doors and if there is not grease on the doors carrier (I do not know exact word in English) there is some kind of noise, or the noise when you rub with knife on the ceramic plate.
I hope thet you understand now what I talk about.
That noise is not present always but happen sometimes (doesn't matter of slurry or just water).

I know ,i know what is this.Thats hapen until spine is not enough polished. Believe me the noise is prodused from the spine.After a little usage the noise should stop.If you cant wait
you have to polish the spine touched point by a lapping compound.
Rgds
Emmanuel

Bart said:
I have a woodworking hobby. It happens that sawdust falls out of my hair into the slurry.:rolleyes:

Bart: Last spring, I lived in a room where my desk was against a brick wall with mortar "dust" that would periodically land on my desk. (Actually, I lived in two such rooms, thanks to how my former co-op's rooming lottery worked.) It drove me nuts. There really wasn't a better place to hone, though.

King: If I understand you correctly, I think I know what you're talking about. It's a squealing sound. I was talking about this with someone earlier. I think it really has to do with one's stroke but in a way I do not yet understand. He (life2short1971) tried putting a touch of dish soap in the slurry water, which he said helped. I imagine that the soap adds a touch of lubrication that prevents the rubbing from causing an audible vibration. It probably has to do with the amount of pressure and how it is applied. I sometimes have this problem, but I only recall having it with hollow razors.

I think I know what you mean.
For me it usually appears in the middle of a honing session after the bevel has been set & the slurry has been diluted a few times.
And only on hollow grinds.

I've never had anything bad coming from it & I have simply gotten used to the sound
as another "marker" that I'm now closing in on the finishing stages.

danjared said:
It's a squealing sound. It probably has to do with the amount of pressure and how it is applied. I sometimes have this problem, but I only recall having it with hollow razors.

Yes, squeal is the word.
I do not htink that' connected with pressure because it happens with more or less pressure (maybe I'm wrong).
I had this issue just with Duble Duck and Iwasaki Kamisori.

Jens said:
For me it usually appears in the middle of a honing session after the bevel has been set & the slurry has been diluted a few times.

Same here.
But I am asking myself is there any negativeness in that sound and how it can possibly affect very tip of the edge because I have unewen draw on the hone with this razor while honing.
Once more time I wish to say that sound is present only on trailing edge stroke.

I have this issue sometimes, too. Emmanuel's explanation seems very accurate to me, I am also pretty sure it comes from the spine. Any road, don't worry about the edge, I have never noticed any troubles with the razors that were giving me this squeal.

best regards,
Matt

If the sound is like fingernails on a blackboard, both Gary and I have had the same issue, we put it down to pressure, it will appear worse on a hollow ground as the blade has more flex and is less dense than a wedge, enabling it to act as a sound board. I am not sure how it effects the finished edge, but I do know my wife can't stand it! Lol

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Now I understand. I guess we all get that occasionally. Depends on the razor, but some Coticules are more prone to do it than others.
It doesn't affect the results.

Not for the faint of heart: if you take a needle and make a few very shallow lengthwise scratches in the surface of the Coticule, the squealing sound usually disappears. It is just a resonation of the razor that is "voiced" by rubbing it on the hone. Honing with a taped spine will definitely also do away with this sound.

Personally, I take i for granted whenever it happens.

Kind regards,
Bart

tat2Ralfy said:
If the sound is like fingernails on a blackboard, both Gary and I have had the same issue, we put it down to pressure, it will appear worse on a hollow ground as the blade has more flex and is less dense than a wedge, enabling it to act as a sound board. I am not sure how it effects the finished edge, but I do know my wife can't stand it! Lol

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

+1 especially for the wife, but that's reciept for send away her while I'm honing :lol:

I get this sometimes... I think it comes from the spine rubbing the edge of the coticule with a certain (probably wrong) angle and pressure.

Bart said:
If it doesn't affect the outcome, how can it be possibly wrong?

I think I just said that because it sounds like something bad is happening... it's kind of an unpleasant sound.

Drybonz said:
I get this sometimes... I think it comes from the spine rubbing the edge of the coticule with a certain (probably wrong) angle and pressure.

In my oppinion angle does nothing with this. Pressure maybe, but in that case outcoming (honing) result would not be good.
In my oppinion this sound is conected with razor "hollownes" and maybe with steel mixture from which razor is made.
As I said I hear this sound just with Duble Duck (but not last night when I honed it with tape on the spine) and with my Iwasaki Kamisori which is not so hollow as DD but it's made from two different steel types.

king said:
In my oppinion angle does nothing with this. Pressure maybe, but in that case outcoming (honing) result would not be good.

I notice it when I am doing half strokes, especially on the "return" stroke. It doesn't happen too often, but it makes a squeaking sound. By angle I meant that if there is slightly more pressure on one side of the blade the spine is touching the edge of the stone at a very slight angle. That is what I thought was causing it anyway... I could be wrong.

Sorry, do not understand what you think by the angle before but now it's little bit more clearer. Maybe your theory about angle get some point.
In every case I did not find that this sound cause something wrong to the very edge. nothing that can compromiting shaving.

king said:
In every case I did not find that this sound cause something wrong to the very edge. nothing that can compromiting shaving.

Yes, I agree with you and Bart... it has never seemed to cause any problems.

Hello King,
I get the same sound when honing my goldedge. My vintage coticule is a fast cutter and believe it is from more metal then slurry in the mix.
Might only happen with softer blades. I find it does no harm to the edge but the nerves are a different story.

Regards,
Peter B.

Back