ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Stropping after a touch-up

Matt

Do you strop your razors both on canvas and then leather after touching up on plain water? It just came to me today, out of the blue, that maybe canvas would be too aggressive in this case and only leather would be enough. Ideas?

regards,
Matt

I always strop 60/60 canvas/leather after I touch up, before each shave I then do 30 on canvas and 60 leather, and then 12 on canvas after each shave to make sure the edge is clean and dry

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

If your canvas would deteriorate a freshly touched up, or freshly honed Coticule edge, than I'd say your canvas is dysfunctional for it's purpose.

I strop 60/60 when the edge has touched a hone and 20/60 in between shaves. I suspect that if I'm doing more laps than needed one of both strops, it would be the leather.

Kind regards,
Bart.

tat2Ralfy said:
I always strop 60/60 canvas/leather after I touch up, before each shave I then do 30 on canvas and 60 leather, and then 12 on canvas after each shave to make sure the edge is clean and dry

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)
Oh, yeah, well I do thirteen!

15 here!

Out of interest, seeing as the linen I use doesn't seem to advance the edge off the hone any.
I'd appreciate a canvas/linen recommendation...

DJKELLY said:
Oh, yeah, well I do thirteen!

Yeah but I am Good at it!
hahaha

RicTic said:
Out of interest, seeing as the linen I use doesn't seem to advance the edge off the hone any.
I'd appreciate a canvas/linen recommendation...

What strop are you using? you should see the hht improve by 1 clear point from coming off the stone after the stropping (if that makes any sense?)

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

What exactly is a sod, anyway. It sounds like a drunk, but I really have no idea. I like it though, and from what I can tell, you fit the bill bragging about your technique, Dr.

RT--If I had to go with a "can't miss" linen strop, it would be Dovo, V-weave. If you don't see a one point hht improvement with that one, something is wrong. I hear Tony Miller has great linen but I have not received mine yet. The only one I cannot heartily recommend is the Kanayama and that is my own fault. It feels so different from my others that I haven't given it a fair trial yet. I have been concentrating on other more interesting tests. I really believe that just about anything can make a good, maybe not great, first strop. Ask Gerritt or Chris. They have numerous examples. I use a tool belt belt half the time because that is what is in the kitchen by the tap where I hone a lot, and even it will give very noticeable hht improvement.

Hope it helps, Denny

DJKELLY said:
What exactly is a sod, anyway. It sounds like a drunk, but I really have no idea. I like it though, and from what I can tell, you fit the bill bragging about your technique, Dr.

RT--If I had to go with a "can't miss" linen strop, it would be Dovo, V-weave. If you don't see a one point hht improvement with that one, something is wrong. I hear Tony Miller has great linen but I have not received mine yet. The only one I cannot heartily recommend is the Kanayama and that is my own fault. It feels so different from my others that I haven't given it a fair trial yet. I have been concentrating on other more interesting tests. I really believe that just about anything can make a good, maybe not great, first strop. Ask Gerritt or Chris. They have numerous examples. I use a tool belt belt half the time because that is what is in the kitchen by the tap where I hone a lot, and even it will give very noticeable hht improvement.

Hope it helps, Denny

Sod.

Now then, as far as linen etc are concerned, I spent a few weeks with one of Torolf's strops. I took care not to use razors with a hammered spine on it, because I wanted to see if something would happen to the strop. And indeed, it has become a little fluffy. Which leads me to believe that there is some truth to the concept of linen "breaking the burr" (Kanten brechen) that develops when the edge hits the beard. Just a thought, though.

Regards,
Robin

Thank you all.

Not that I have noticed anything bad happening to the edges, it was just a weird idea of mine. Since my strop is a Dovo with V-weaven canvas I guess it's all fine.

Matt

DJKELLY said:

From Wikipedia:

The word "sod", a noun or verb (to "sod off") used as an insult, derives from sodomite. It is a general-purpose insult term for anyone the speaker dislikes or despises, without specific reference to their sexual behaviour. Sod is used as slang in the UK and Commonwealth and is mildly offensive.

As far as strops go, I couldnt agree more with our yankee friend Denny, I use the Dovo v weave and find it spot on, I have used the Miller and liked it also, and the Kanayama gave me no noticable increase in hht either.

Best Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Gawd it looks like I will have to buy the Dovo now.

Not really.
Denny, I haven't the experience on all of these strops yet, but I have played with many alternative materials when it comes to the cloth component. I have used denim, four different seat belts (vintage and new), cotton webbing, foam and now Torolf, TM and walking horse. I will attempt an opinion about all after more use, but none of what I do is testing, just opinion. I can say though that the whole talk about racing belts is something I don't recommend. I have some out of my Porsche (yes I cut them up) they were way too rough and gave some of the most awful feedback I had ever felt. I have not tried the Kanayama to compare, but I would almost bet that these are louder. The advantage to them is that they annoy the wife.

tat2Ralfy said:
What strop are you using? you should see the hht improve by 1 clear point from coming off the stone after the stropping (if that makes any sense?)

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)
Ralfy, I don't know if it's good form to mention the linen strop I'm having little success at getting an increase in hht with?
I use light strokes (as many as 60) after honing and before going to leather, but the hht after linen doesn't appear to improve. I recognise this could be down to me and my technique, but I consider myself to be pretty able at stropping due to an hht improvement after going to leather. Definitely no problems there.
Thanks to those who suggested the dovo v-weave linen. I'm onto it! :)

tat2Ralfy said:
DJKELLY said:

From Wikipedia:

The word "sod", a noun or verb (to "sod off") used as an insult, derives from sodomite. It is a general-purpose insult term for anyone the speaker dislikes or despises, without specific reference to their sexual behaviour. Sod is used as slang in the UK and Commonwealth and is mildly offensive.

As far as strops go, I couldnt agree more with our yankee friend Denny, I use the Dovo v weave and find it spot on, I have used the Miller and liked it also, and the Kanayama gave me no noticable increase in hht either.

Best Regards
Ralfson (Dr)
Ok, then. I formally retract the use of the term, for the moment. Sodomite, OMG! I was thinking more like "sodden" as in wet, lush, etc. Of course, I didn't really care too much or would have looked it up myself. It's a great word and right in line with my impression of British expressions but I haven't really matured enough to be "mildly" offended by being called a butt fucker. YYP, Denny

DJKELLY said:
What exactly is a sod, anyway.

I thought it stood for "Son Of a DE-user". One of the worst insults actually.

But still better than SOC (Son Of a Cartridge user)

I have had some difficulties with a razor. After stropping, I can't have better than HHT 3 at 1cm from the holding point on medium hair. So I have used Crox on balsa (30 laps) to improve the HHT.
It seems that it may be due to my strop Latigo/Coton so I have just bought this one http://www.revisor-solingen.de/html/zubehor_2.html which looks like the dovo/jemico but has no brand. It is just written "Kern juchten- Germany" (so russian leather), the useful leather size is 40cm*5cm, Vweave linen under (when I strop a razor it leaves some white on the edge).

After a touch up with coticule, if I can get a HHT 3 at 1-2 cm from the holding point on thick hair what kind of increase of HHT could I get after using my new strop? or should I start from dilucot with thin slury stage to hope a real increase HHT?

Regards

Laurent

Hello Laurent
If you have HHT 3 from the cottcule You ll reach at least HHT4 stroping on the strop that you bought which is an excelent tool. The white dust observing on the edge is normal for this linen
that is completely same as Dovo.
Best Regards
Ennanuel

I have the Dovo branded version of this strop, and it works wonderfully, as Emmanuel says you should see the HHT increase 1 clear point after stropping 60/60 cloth/leather, I do :thumbup:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Back