ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Substitute for arm hair?

jfdupuis

Hey guys,

my gf sort of snapped at me
last night when she noticed some bald spots on my arm. Do you guys another testing method when you are setting a bevel for example?

Cheers

jf

I remember someone having mentioned ...leg hair instead, seriously ;)

Umm - I don't want to get any nosy, but... - your'e dedicated to this art, so your gf should understand it, or a least be more tolerant, shouldn't she? Well, unless you have some really odd patterns shaved out on your forearm, dunno, checkers, stripes, flowers or sth :lol:

Well my lady mentioned that we could try some straight shaving with her, that feels real nice. :rolleyes: Dunno which specific areas she meant but guess it'll be nice anyway ;) Well, a lot's been said on SRP on it, sorry for an offtop :p

regards,
Matt

JF,
I remember when I first started out, I used my left arm and both legs as test areas. Until I got in the shower one day, got totally wet and started washing my hair. When I looked down at my legs, I thought I was looking at an airplane view of the layout of a 9 hole golf course.

That's when I changed my tactics. Instead of trying to shave patches with the razor, just try to cut one hair at a time in 4 or 5 different places on the edge. You will actually get more precise feedback and still be able to let the hair grow back without notice.

Give it a try.

Ray

I have used both arms, stomach and chest, but now under protest I have promised my wife that I will stick leg hair, She hates when it starts growing back and I have stubble on my arms and front. I do as Ray suggests, a few hairs here and there and its cool, its very interesting the amount of feedback you can get from different parts of your body.

You only need to cut 4 or 5 arm hairs. One for each part of the blade from heel to toe.
No need to shave patches. :)

Best regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
You only need to cut 4 or 5 arm hairs. One for each part of the blade from heel to toe.
No need to shave patches. :)

Best regards,
Bart.
I wish someone would have told me this back in the beginning. My arms are bald starting at three inches above my wrist, so I look normal with long sleeves. And know I have to bald patches right above my knees too! I'm hairy like a gorilla so it looks really odd! :lol:

jfdupuis said:
lol!! Too funny. I think I might get a cat or something. Then I could use the cat as my tester :p

For the past couple of weeks we've been looking after my brother and his wife's 2 cats, so I really have been trying cat hair for testing!! It's not the same, and it's usually pretty fine hair....I wish my hair was long enough to use for testing again, and I just had to buzz it again....It's REALLY hard to try a HHT when you're hair is only a few mm long.

Sheeesh! I've got 3 cats @ my place, though never came up with this idea :lol:

StraightRazorDave, hair is v. fine, but the whiskers! :lol: :lol:

...just a stupid joke, don't try it at home or anywhere else, cats do need'em... :)

By the way:

you can use the HHT instead of the arm hair test. There something called a "HHT-0". Just pinch the hair real hard between thumb and index finger, and shave if off. If it doesn't shave, well... then is doens't shave. Compare this with shaving arm hair a few times.

Best regards,
Bart.

Here is my patent arm hair substitute device

1 Go to barber and aquire an amount of washed cut hair
2 get 2 pieces of sellotape
3 stick hair to one piece of tape
4 stick second piece of tape over first
5 secure this tape between heavy card or small pieces of wood
6 trim hair if required
7 test blade along the length as seen fit

pedalpowersailing said:
Here is my patent arm hair substitute device

1 Go to barber and aquire an amount of washed cut hair
2 get 2 pieces of sellotape
3 stick hair to one piece of tape
4 stick second piece of tape over first
5 secure this tape between heavy card or small pieces of wood
6 trim hair if required
7 test blade along the length as seen fit
A picture! A picture! My kingdom for a picture!

(free after Richard III)

:rolleyes:

Bart.

Back