ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Super BBW!

Karl

I recently posted some pictures of my les latneuses backed with belgium blue as danjared asked if anyone had seen one.

This is the thread:
Les Latneuses layers and BBW
http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/topic/1363.html

I love this stone even though I kind of felt abit cheated out of a hybrid layer but now I'm not so sure.

I used to prefer my la petite blanche when I used unicot method but I now use this Les Latneuses because dulicot is so easy on it but then finished on my la petite blanche with water because it was a better finish for me.

However I just finished a razor on the BBW side with plain water and the results were outstanding!
The bevel faces are polished like mirrors and the edge is much keener than that left by both my coticules!

I thoroughly washed the stone and changed the cup of water in case there were any traces of slurry still present then tried another razor on the BBW side of the les latneuse.
Just a few passes and already the bevel faces where gleaming.
Tried a hanging hair test, a very high 4 perhaps a 5 nearer the holding point, better than the edge was before and this razor was stropped before I put it on the BBW!

I have two other BBW, 1 on the back of my LPB and a 200x60 BBW. So I tried these on water. The edges were duller and less shiny. Back on the Les Latneuses BBW and that keen edge was back.

I have yet to shave with the edge produced from this Les Latneuses BBW and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm guessing the edge will be very brisk judging from the level of keeness but I will keep you all posted if interested.

Cheers,

Karl

That's a very interesting observation. Thank you for posting about this. I've been playing on and off with several BBWs for the most part of last year, and I have yet to begin to seriously unriddle them. Out of the 4 I used most, I have one that works well with water, 2 that seem to take back sharpness on water yet give wonderfullly keen finishes when used with a hint of slurry, and one that loves some sort of "slurry breakdown" approach as if it was a Japanese stone.

They were all 4 confirmed to come from different layers, and they also look slightly different. But I don't know the actual layer names.
If I have learned one thing, it's that BBW's are highly underestimated hones. Your experience doesn't really surprise me.

Kind regards,
Bart.

That is absolutely wonderful :thumbup:

And who said the BBW didnt make a great finisher? wonderful indeed

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Well I'm most impressed with the shave :)

With 2 days growth I went XTG on my chin and upper lip, ATG everywhere else.

My skin did feel shaved but in a good way, my skin felt like new. The Mrs even commented on it B)

I've refreshed my puma on the Les Lat BBW side because I think it will take well to this edge. So I'm looking forward to the next shave!
The feeling of this stone on water is great, its just like stropping, a really nice fine and even draw :love:

Glad you're pleased Ralfy, I know you've always been a fan of the BBW long before it was cool to be :D

I think you are right Bart. BBW's seem to be taken more seriously and I think there could be some very interesting results with them in the future and maybe there will be a large calling for a BBW Vault :D

Out of the 4 I used most, I have one that works well with water, 2 that seem to take back sharpness on water yet give wonderfullly keen finishes when used with a hint of slurry, and one that loves some sort of "slurry breakdown" approach as if it was a Japanese stone.

That's one seriously versatile hone!
It's interesting to hear about the slurry breakdown specimen. My 200x60 doesn't seem to take very well to duliblue, hmmm I wonder?

Cheers,

Karl

Well the 200x60 BBW didn't really show any signs of slurry breakdown. Guess its just a slower stone.

If anyone needs samples of various BBW in the future for research I'd be happy to provide some dust or slurry from my Les Lat BBW.

I know Woodash is very interested in unravelling the mystery of these stones and has the knowledge and means to do it.

Thanks,

Karl

Back