ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

To all aspiring Razor Restorers/Honers - The “Good” Razors to avoid.

Great article, It gave me a good idea what is wrong with a razor I got by "mistake" didn't notice the "sans" meaning "not" before shave ready :blush: It has a rounded point/toe, plus it is a hard, hard, razor. Had to breadknive it (wavy edge) and am on my 3+ hour doing half strokes on my coti, still a good bevel is far away. (started with a carbodium oil stone).

Toff; admire your knowledge and have gained a lot from reading your posts; can you please elaborate on weakening metal when using electrolysis for rust removal:confused: was under the impression in my ignorance that it preserved? metal....cheers;
Lou

Hello,
Thank you for the kind words!
The Wikipedia article said it well.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlement Reverse current at low amperage may work to remove some rusting and previous plating. I have seen postings elsewhere that suggest the possibility. I have not used the method myself as the witches brews I use serve me well (No! I won't tell. I had to find them on the net and read all the cautions, you will too). Any plating or de-rusting formula will contain some form of acid. The hope is that the acid will remove the oxidization without damage to the parent metal. The electrical current used in electro-plating / de-plating just speeds up the process. The electrical current, forward or backward, removes metal ions from the surface of one metal to deposit them onto another metal. Acid releases ions from the metals' surfaces and the corrosion/rust has ions more easily transferred as they are oxygen bonded as molecules.

An acid solution that has been use with copper or zinc bearing metals as holders of objects will often, without warning, put a coating of copper onto a base metal in the solution without any electrical current whatever. That is one of the cautions I spoke of. A thin plating is called a wash, and can be a booger to remove after being accidentally applied. Another caution about de-rusting solutions is that they themselves will oxidize the surface and change its color. For example: Blueing and Browning and Blackening solutions for the arms trade. The acid solutions do the job but must be monitored by personal experience to do it correctly.
I hope this answers your question?
Sincerely
~Richard

Back