ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Too Smooth?

Aquanin

ANyone ever experienced this before. If I use my La Petite Blanche, the edges are nice and engaging, very sharp and cut hair like butter. Now If I finish on the hybrid side of my Les Latneuses, the edges are more mellow. But the problem is when I have a few days growth and shave the 1st pass WTG: on the LPB edge, it just cuts right through, on the Les Latneuses edge it's a bit rough, kind of pulling. However, on the 2nd pass once the hair is reduced, the Les Latneuses edge is super smooth, no pulling at all. Is this just the effect of a mellow edge?

This is normal. Try this test over several days or weeks and see what the results are. I have found that sometimes the steel just likes one stone over the other. I have also found that my honing on one stone, as opposed to another, can very from razor to razor. Not often, but occasionally.

Ray

This is interesting! I have found just the opposite. My LPB is less smooth than my latnueses hybrid, but it seems to me that my hybrid edge always cuts a notch above all my other hones.

How do you find dilucot on your hybrid aqua? Is it very easy?

Regards,
MrMaroon

Thats what I was saying. The Les Latneuses edge feels more mellow and smooth but only once the hair is reduced enough. On a few days growth it seems that it pulls on the longer hair a bit.

I have not done a full dilucot on the Hybrid side yet. I have only finished on it (It is very hard). The regular sides edge feels pretty similar to the LPB though.

Interesting indeed and something I had a problem with a while ago

May I ask if you completely finished the edge before moving over to your Hybrid side?

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

Yes, did full dilucot on LPB and just for fun finished on the hybrid side of my LL to see what the edge felt like.

I always find these kind of comparisons difficult to draw any meaning from. Unless you can replicate the exact experience (ie, identical razors, identical honing efforts, etc.), it's hard for me to buy into this.

I used my LPB over the weekend (which is a mellow finisher as I would classify it), and shaved down 3 days' growth without any tugging whatsoever. I've experienced the same off of my Les Latneuses.

Whenever I end up with a razor that shaves smoothly ATG but with some pull WTG, my reflex has become to measure the bevel angle. Usually I find an angle that's on the steep side in such cases. Bevel angles bordering on 20 degrees require a tad more keenness than bevels that approximate a 17 degree angle. Honed on a Coticule, the edge of a razor is always a sweet compromise between being performant and being skin-friendly, and as such these edges are critical towards the bevel angle.

If your observation happens on every razor, regardless the bevel angle, then I don't know the answer. It would be interesting in that case, to see if the problem persist with Unicot edges.

Kind regards,
Bart.

it was a 5/8 dovo micarta honed with 1 layer of tape to protect the pattern on the spine. I will try it with another razor.

Update on this. It was the razor. I just honed a 11/16 hollow sheffield blade on the les latneuses and its the smoothest shaver i own know. I need to re tweak that other blade

I have a Union Cutlery Spike that I got from Smythe. It had a very nice edge but too unforgiving to use ATG. I gave it 30-50 laps (creamy then hybrid side) on my Les Latneuses bout, and now it is incredibly smooth. I did not expect such a change just from a touch-up.

Aquanin said:
Update on this. It was the razor. I just honed a 11/16 hollow sheffield blade on the les latneuses and its the smoothest shaver i own know. I need to re tweak that other blade

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Did you ever measure the bevel angle on the razor? I would be interested to know what the problem was now that you have idenified it as being something to do with the razor.

Nothing to do with the razor. I just came back to this one and tried a little experiment. Took it back to a Norton 4000 then 8000 then hybrid coti. Smooooooooooth shaver WTG now. I guess it just wasn't quite keen enough. Need to revisit my dilucot on this stainless blade.

Aquanin said:
Nothing to do with the razor. I just came back to this one and tried a little experiment. Took it back to a Norton 4000 then 8000 then hybrid coti. Smooooooooooth shaver WTG now. I guess it just wasn't quite keen enough. Need to revisit my dilucot on this stainless blade.

For some reason, it's harder for me to really dial in my stainless steel razors. I do get them there, and they shave great, but the carbon steel just seems easier for me.

Back