ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Unicot with no.15, La Grosse Blanche

StraightRazorDave

Well-Known Member
Hey all,

So I tried my first honing with number 15 from the vault, the La Grosse Blanche stone. Since Bart's report on it, I'm a little hesitant to try dilucot with this stone since it is hard to gain enough keeness to the edge from slurry to using just water. So I just decided to try a simple unicot since it's quite straight-forward to use. ;)

The razor I used is a 5/8" Boker King Cutter, and it was shave-ready. But since I wanted to sharpen from scratch, I did the regular dulling on the edge of a glass lightly so I would no longer shave arm hair. I created a fairly heavy slurry on the stone, and did a bunch of diagonal back-and-forth strokes until it would cut my arm hair. Then I followed standard procedure for the unicot.

Well I just had my shave and it was very smooth! No complaints at all, and when I used my alum block is only on a little spot on my neck where it was previously irritated, so not caused by the shave. So a very smooth and comfortable shave!

This stone really feels different to hone on, I like it though. When used with just water, it's not at all gritty and you don't feel resistant, but at the same time can almost feel the hone cutting finely. The only way I can describe it is that it's like you can faintly feel the texture of the surfacing when honing. Bart's evaluation of this stone says that when used with water there is "a faint sensation of very fine abrasion.", so I guess that's what he was talking about. :p

Anyways, I'm really happy with this stone. With the unicot method, I turned a dull razor into a great shaver in no more than 10-15 minutes I would say.:thumbup:

Maybe I will try the dilucot method with this stone someday, but I'm not feel too ambitious lately so I'm more than happy with just using the unicot with it. :)

Dave
 

tat2Ralfy

Well-Known Member
Thats absolutely awesome, good work Dave :thumbup:

I think this highlights the beauty of this method, dont be afraid to try the dilocut the worst that can happen is you spend 30-45 mins doing it, and if your unhappy with the result add a layer of tape and finish like unicot, it will only take a few more minutes, gotta be worth a go when you feel like spending the time.
 

StraightRazorDave

Well-Known Member
tat2Ralfy said:
Thats absolutely awesome, good work Dave :thumbup:

I think this highlights the beauty of this method, dont be afraid to try the dilocut the worst that can happen is you spend 30-45 mins doing it, and if your unhappy with the result add a layer of tape and finish like unicot, it will only take a few more minutes, gotta be worth a go when you feel like spending the time.

Thanks Ralfy.

Another reason I'm hesistant to trying dilucot with this stone is that it's not very thick, so my OCD brain is worried that it'll wear out faster that way! :lol:
 

tat2Ralfy

Well-Known Member
Hahaha yeah I see where your coming from, however with dilocut you only raise slurry the once, same as unicot, after that the stone wear is absolutely microscopic
 

Matt

Well-Known Member
StraightRazorDave said:
Anyways, I'm really happy with this stone. With the unicot method, I turned a dull razor into a great shaver in no more than 10-15 minutes I would say.:thumbup:

Oh man, that sounds magic to me at my current zero level. Just like having a shave in, say, even 15 minutes. :D

regards,
Matt
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
tat2Ralfy said:
Hahaha yeah I see where your coming from, however with dilocut you only raise slurry the once, same as unicot, after that the stone wear is absolutely microscopic
My personal Dr Watson (Dr. Ralfson, actually) is spot on again.
One of these days, I'm going to give you my login credentials and take a vacation at the Bahamas. Just remember to write long complicated sentences, and no one will notice. ;)

Bart.
 

tat2Ralfy

Well-Known Member
Bart said:
tat2Ralfy said:
Hahaha yeah I see where your coming from, however with dilocut you only raise slurry the once, same as unicot, after that the stone wear is absolutely microscopic
My personal Dr Watson (Dr. Ralfson, actually) is spot on again.
One of these days, I'm going to give you my login credentials and take a vacation at the Bahamas. Just remember to write long complicated sentences, and no one will notice. ;)

Bart.

Why thank you Holmes (Sherlock Torfs), the only slight fly in the ointment as it where is that I personally tend to use a rather short and direct vernacular, whereas your fine and esteemed self, has a natural leaning toward a rather more in-depth and lengthy presentation when it comes to the written word, indeed one can almost hear the inner workings of your naturally inquisitive and analytical mind as you transcribe your thoughts for us to gratefully share.

If you see what I mean. :lol:
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
tat2Ralfy said:
Why thank you Holmes (Sherlock Torfs), the only slight fly in the ointment as it where is that I personally tend to use a rather short and direct vernacular, whereas your fine and esteemed self, has a natural leaning toward a rather more in-depth and lengthy presentation when it comes to the written word, indeed one can almost hear the inner workings of your naturally inquisitive and analytical mind as you transcribe your thoughts for us to gratefully share.

If you see what I mean. :lol:

Indeed, my friend: We, the ones who are more inclined towards linguistic incontinence, are ever so terrified to not express ourselves with every fine nuance of our eloquently flowing stream of cogitation, and by doing so submitting ourselves to the danger that our ideas will be misrepresented by the more villain representatives of our race, who seem to display great talent for other truths than the one we elaborated with such great care, that -if I may be so free to point out at this opportunity - must not be confused with paranoia, as this is a flaw that can only be found in true loonies, a part of humankind with whom we are sympathetic about, but with whom we have nothing further in common, as we are aware that you made no single allegation upon such possibly perceived mental malady on our side, because even if you would be holding suspicions in that direction, I'm sure your kind disposition would prohibit you from disclosing that, for which I sincerely thank you.

Your friend,
Bart.
 

tat2Ralfy

Well-Known Member
Never thought it for a minute bud

But I can see why some might (looks nervously away and gives a little cough) hahaha

"linguistic incontinence" Bwhahahahaha
 

Paul

Well-Known Member
Bart said:
tat2Ralfy said:
Why thank you Holmes (Sherlock Torfs), the only slight fly in the ointment as it where is that I personally tend to use a rather short and direct vernacular, whereas your fine and esteemed self, has a natural leaning toward a rather more in-depth and lengthy presentation when it comes to the written word, indeed one can almost hear the inner workings of your naturally inquisitive and analytical mind as you transcribe your thoughts for us to gratefully share.

If you see what I mean. :lol:

Indeed, my friend: We, the ones who are more inclined towards linguistic incontinence, are ever so terrified to not express ourselves with every fine nuance of our eloquently flowing stream of cogitation, and by doing so submitting ourselves to the danger that our ideas will be misrepresented by the more villain representatives of our race, who seem to display great talent for other truths than the one we elaborated with such great care, that -if I may be so free to point out at this opportunity - must not be confused with paranoia, as this is a flaw that can only be found in true loonies, a part of humankind with whom we are sympathetic about, but with whom we have nothing further in common, as we are aware that you made no single allegation upon such possibly perceived mental malady on our side, because even if you would be holding suspicions in that direction, I'm sure your kind disposition would prohibit you from disclosing that, for which I sincerely thank you.

Your friend,
Bart.

I'm reminded of Alan Greenspan: "I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said"
 
Top