ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Variation on Dilucot, mostly circles

Recently acquired a LPB in my collection . I have to say that indeed is a difficult coticule. For example if you have a razor which has made some shaves giving an HHT 3, going directly on a PLB( water only) just to refresh the edge the HHT reduced, contrary my La Dressante improves the edge after some simple x strokes on clear water. But ........... trying a full dilucot on the LPB or a power touch up the result it is equally perfect. So i don't thing so that a Lpb is the best suited coticule for a beginner. Nevertheless gives a very meek edge for a smooth shave.
Best regards
Emmanuel

I had and for some reason a lot of guys have had hit and miss with lpb. I managed to get a great edge on my henkells and i mean great. the edge was a perfect coticule edge and very dull feel but smooth and keen. Infact marty purchased that razor of me, and he says he loves it. I sem to looe the hht with going back to misty slurry then water on the lpb also, why i just don't no. yet i went from heavy slurry to water and no dilutions and had a great hht and the shave was pritty damm good.
i agree with emanuel i don't think lpb is ideal for some one new. having said that if you master the lpb, i'm sure other coticules will be a doddle .

gary

As you all know, I use 3 terms for describing the results of perfectly finished, yet somewhat different edges from varying Coticules: "brisk", "mellow", and a kind of in-between those two: "engaging".
In my book the brisk edges shave with the least resistance. The glide through stubble with next to no effort on behalf of the user. The effect on the skin is that of a mild peeling. If you have very sensitive skin, or if your skin is already irritated by some other cause, a brisk edge might result in a burning sensation, that may last half and hour or so.
A mellow edge, feels somehow "dull" on the face, and very forgiving, as if it would be impossible to cut yourself. It's a strange sensation the first time you ever feel it, but those who have will surely recognize what I'm trying to describe. The razor shaves without any sensation of pull, but their is definitely a tad more resistance than shaving with a brisk edge. The mellow edge leaves the face as if you haven't shaved at all, with the exception that your face is smoothly shaven. If you rub with an alum block over the wetted face, it feels as if you're running an ice cube over the face, no stinging or burning sensations whatsoever.
An engaging edge fits the bill somewhere in between.

Why am I telling this?
It is my experience that among all Coticules, the "mellow" finishers are the most challenging to reach a high HHT. I have always assumed that the amazing smoothness of these edge also required exceptional keenness to perform well. The HHT is typically a performance test. It measures how well the edge can sever a given hair. If the keenness isn't spot on, the performance stays behind, and the agreeable resistance I mentioned above will turn into a pulling sensation. That is why the mellow finishers are the most challenging. But I wouldn't go as far to say that they are "new user unfriendly". Dilucot can take a bit more figuring out, but Unicot works just the same and there are other ways to up the keenness. E.g. most La Petite Blanches are bonded to an excellent BBW, that mustn't be underestimated for keenness. And, as PinkLather suggested in the thread starting post of this thread, their are other solutions for chasing keenness as well.

The brisk Cotcule are generally easier to yield promising HHT-scores. The majority of La Vertes comes to mind here. I believe that the resulting edges are slightly more jagged, which allows these edged to penetrate the shaft of a hair better. Hence they perform better at a slightly lower mathematical keenness level. But they will also be prone to remove more skin cells during the shave.

This perfectly explains why refinishing a La Verte edge with a La Petite Blanche will initially reduce the HHT score with about 1 point. You have already implied the smoothness, but not yet the keenness needed to make such an edge perform at its peak.

Kind regards,
Bart.

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me, and yes, that feeling you described is what made me switch completely to coticules (and eventually the mellow finishing LPBs) :thumbup:

Bart said:
The brisk Cotcule are generally easier to yield promising HHT-scores. The majority of La Vertes comes to mind here. I believe that the resulting edges are slightly more jagged, which allows these edged to penetrate the shaft of a hair better. Hence they perform better at a slightly lower mathematical keenness level. But they will also be prone to remove more skin cells during the shave.

This perfectly explains why refinishing a La Verte edge with a La Petite Blanche will initially reduce the HHT score with about 1 point. You have already implied the smoothness, but not yet the keenness needed to make such an edge perform at its peak.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart is right,right,right.........thousand time right.I have run experiments on my La dressante that always gives brisk edges and the recently acquired La petite blanch which for my opinion gives mellow.As Bart said some coticules give a slightly more jagged edge than others ,that's why the HHT is easily earned.When i jumped on lpb the HHT reduced 2 points clearly .Continuing after some x strokes i got back the solid HHT4 but this time the edge was mellow and not brisk. Next time before shaving i applied 20 x strokes on La dressante .The HHT not redused at all, but the edge returned to brisk.I performed again 10 x strokes on lpb .The HHT reduced 2 points.I continued counting the x strokes and i got back the reduced HHT after 60 x storkes getting back the mellow edge.
Bart the Great perfectly stated.

Best regards
Emmanuel

Exactly.

I mean, the outcome of your experiment with 2 different Coticules. :rolleyes:
I've had the same experience.

Kind regards,
Bart.

My la drassante that i sold to bill, was so easy to obtain a solid hht with ease, i did notice the edge was more brisk. bill also had an easy ride with the la drassante as i no he got a great edge. my lpb was so much harder to gain hht, i have to say i'm gad i stuck with it as the edge was some what more mellow and i realy liked it. i remeber shaving of crisses vintage it shaved with slight resistants but it was the most mellowist edge i ever shaved with. The edge was so so forgiving yet felt so dull , realy weird sensation, but one i will never forget.

gary

Does anyone notice variation with the same vein from hone to hone.
Realising that these terms are some what subjective I would describe my dresante edge as mellow:-/
But since aquiring the le veinette I would say this is mellower but harder to get good hht.
Killer edge though.:love:

La Dressante is fairly volatile layer. It delivers the entire spectrum. La Petite Blanche is pretty constant by my estimate (engaging bordering on mellow). La Veinette is also constant (engaging). La Grosse blanches seem mostly mellow, and La Vertes mostly brisk.
La Grise usually engaging or mellow, Les Latneuses mostly engaging, but with outliers in either direction. La Nouvelle Veine either mellow or brisk (strangely not often Engaging). La Grosse Jaune, I don't recall, as I didn't yet record these finishing differences the last time I ever had the chance of using one. The Hybrid side of Les Latneuses, I 'd qualify as engaging, bordering on brisk.

I would like to emphasize that even a brisk Coticule edge is still considerably smoother than a Chosera 10K edge (which is the only synthetic reference that I know well). The Nakayama I own qualifies as brisk. So does my small Escher. BBW's vary, but most center around engaging and brisk.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I believe that coticules coming from same vein generally present same characteristics but always there is a little different as natural goods.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Bart said:
La Dressante is fairly volatile layer. It delivers the entire spectrum. La Petite Blanche is pretty constant by my estimate (engaging bordering on mellow). La Veinette is also constant (engaging). La Grosse blanches seem mostly mellow, and La Vertes mostly brisk.
La Grise usually engaging or mellow, Les Latneuses mostly engaging, but with outliers in either direction. La Nouvelle Veine either mellow or brisk (strangely not often Engaging). La Grosse Jaune, I don't recall, as I didn't yet record these finishing differences the last time I ever had the chance of using one. The Hybrid side of Les Latneuses, I 'd qualify as engaging, bordering on brisk.

Bart,
I yeild to your superior knowledge,
This post is extremley useful to me and I shall accordingly re calibrate my senses.
Not that many years ago I used to shave directly from a Norton 8K + good strop and considered it a good shave (which it was to be fair), but these days I'm just spoiled.
So please consider that my starting point was a bit crude to say theleast.

Joey

Back