ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

VINTAGE COTICULE IDENTIFICATION

DJKELLY

I just received this stone from an ebay vendor and would appreciate any information you experts can impart. It is a great little size, appears to be glued up with BBW and has these neat cracks or manganese inclusions or whatever they are. It was in pretty poor shape but cleaned up well with a dmt. I haven't done a dilucot on it yet, but I think it is fast as it auto slurries well. Thanks in advance--Denny

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

I wish I knew something about the Vintage coticules but I don't, I've been trying to find info on the one I just got in the mail today and posted in the same forum and I have nothing :lol:

I guess what matters the most is testing it and showing us a lot of pictures. The best part, imo, about having old hones and razors is knowing someone a long time ago held it in their hands too and enjoyed it the way you will in the future.

Enjoy.

The thing about the old ones for me, Nick, is that they had a little different paradigm then and you just might get a diamond in the rough. This thing looked like crap on ebay and I didn't need it so got it for a song. At least I think I did. I'm going to get off my ass soon and dilucot an edge on it and see how she does. Nice feel, nice size, and more beautiful the more you look at it. Later, Denny

I think I was watching this one before you won it because I remember looking at a beat up coticule on there a few days ago, nice score:thumbup:

I did a full dilucot with this stone on a Boker I use for standardization purposes and it did an admirable job. The slurry does not darken very much, but dilution was by the book. It has a fairly coarse feel with slurry and, at times, quite a smooth feel on water. The draw is variable depending if there is steel in the slurry/water. The shave was very forgiving so I guess that is mellow, but it was also easy to push through the beard. A nice coticule, indeed. Denny

Oh thank goodness... for a moment I thought you were about to have the thing for lunch.
Can't tell you much info on that stone, but it's a real beauty.

I can't believe it--I'm getting more interest in the fork!! Maybe I should list it on the bay.

Smythe said:
Oh thank goodness... for a moment I thought you were about to have the thing for lunch.

hahah I thought: WTH, he's sharpening his fork?!?!?

I'll have you know, Chris, that that fork was in my very first posted image for scale and as such is very special to me. Actually, as a bachelor I haven't moved it since that first post a couple years ago. Need to find a housekeeping forum! Denny

IMG_0114.jpg

There you go. Notice how even the tines line up and point toward the front of the fork. Tines are slightly rounded for comfort but still effective on even the toughest meat. Obviously, the handle can be described as nothing less than understated elegance. It is a real prize I will cherish forever.

Dennis,

As much as I regret it, I can't offer any information about that Coticule. Vintage Coticules can come from any former mine. There are 3 main Coticule deposits: The Ottré-Regne" deposit (Ardennes owns a mine at Ragné, but currently does no extraction over there), the Salmchateau-Ol'Preu deposit (Ardennes currently quarries at Ol'Preu), and the Sart deposit. Thee deposits are several km long. There were many mines in the past, all tapping into one of these 3 deposits. I only have information about the morphology of the stones that come from Ol'Preu location. Possibly, that information is more or less valid for that entire deposit, although some old source suggest that their was variation alongside one deposit. Anyway: without being able to even tell a mining location, I can't possible make any layer determination, even if I know what to look for in currently not mined layers like L'Allemande, Les Dados, Les Petas, La Rouge, etc...

In other words, your vintage Coticule could be one of many unknown possibilities. It's a dream of mine to start with a Coticule Gallery, more or less similar to the Vault, where we could line up as many vintage Coticules as possible, together with a test report (a standardized test needs to be developed, so every owner can run it on his specimen). It's the only way I see to allow for a possible future classification of vintage Coticules.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thanks, Bart. I was ignorant of the fact that vintage stones were so hard to identify. I thought just the look of the surface would be sufficient. Now that I think about it, many of stones in the vault that are of the same layer description are drastically varied in appearance. It really is a moot point, anyway. It is a neat stone and gives a great shave that is distinct from others I have. Plus, I stole it. Thanks again, my friend. Denny

p.s. Did I read somewhere that Dr. Ralfson was infected?

DJKELLY said:
Did I read somewhere that Dr. Ralfson was infected?

That's infectious Denny hahahaha

BTW I too have a very vintage specimen, picked up at our local market for a song

Best Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Back