ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Vintage Merkur with Progress-like Baseplate

efsk

Absurd hero
SU-Patron Gold
Over the years Merkur made various razors with a baseplate with upcurved baseplates similat to the Progress. Big difference: these were not adjustable. I figured it might be a good idea to have these in one place, whilst still giving those whose modellnumbers are known their own thread.
Some of these already popped up in the Merkur 601 thread.
An overview of mine so far:
DSC05110.JPG
DSC05111.JPG

Here's two types I don't know the number of. Very interesting here is that these seem to have the Progress "bridge" built in the baseplate, however this is fixed, and does not move up and down as it does with the Progress.
The metalbaseplate hase some plateloss. The plastic baseplate shows a bridge where the short sides curve down, instead of the angular edge the metal baseplate has.
My pics fail to show that the undersides of both razors have the same markings on the baseplate.
DSC05112.JPG
DSC05113.JPG
DSC05114.JPG
DSC05115.JPG
DSC05116.JPG

The white razor is the 1950s model 71. There are minor differences between the two razors shown: the ends of the safetybar on the brown razor are flattened, where the white ones are a bit convex, and the bottom end of the brown handle is hollow, where the white one has a Merkurlogo.
DSC05117.JPG
DSC05118.JPG
DSC05119.JPG
DSC05120.JPG

Left what we think is the 601, right the 140 (145/148 depending on case). My crappy photography fails to show the markings on the base.
DSC05121.JPG
DSC05122.JPG
DSC05124.JPG
DSC05125.JPG
DSC05126.JPG

Here's the more curious one: no markings at all, yet believed to be Merkur. Full metal, and a baseplate that is quite different from the others: see the large openings for the guidingposts.
DSC05132.JPG
DSC05133.JPG
DSC05134.JPG
DSC05135.JPG

My humble contribution to this discussion:

DSC03452.JPG

The metal base plate version indeed has no markings on the razor itself, but the box it came in was clearly marked. Of course that is not an indicator of anything as there are many gold Tech razors on eBay being identified as Aristocrats because they happen to come in an Aristocrat case. Still, the base plate certainly shares DNA with the adjustable Progress and so I believe it to be. The seller identified this as a Model 640. The other two with non metal base plates are of different designs as Richard pointed out previously. The one on the right came to me missing the handle and so I used a carbon fiber tubing to give it a more modern look.

The 640 has a thin silver handle amd plastic baseplate as the above shown 140. Pics in the catalogscan found elsewhere aren't clear enough, but I suspect the 640 has the Progresslike metal bridge in the baseplate.
You got two of the all metal ones?

I got the near NOS set first and the shave was so great that I looked for one that I could use in my rotation. I believe that second one (which I shave with regularly) actually came in a trade with you. :confused

Didn't know it was the second one, but we did trade one. Then I accidentally acquired more and more of those razors and started to regret the trade, then I found one for myself and the world was back in order :lol

Found another one, with a very long screw. LEather case is of the type I first saw with my fleamarketfind Ibsen, which was the first Ibsen I ever scored.
DSC06550.JPG
DSC06552.JPG
DSC06553.JPG
DSC06554.JPG
DSC06555.JPG
DSC06557.JPG
DSC06558.JPG

Back