ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

We say its a BBS shave but..........

tat2Ralfy

......... theres got to be a small area on everyones face thats still slightly rough, sure our sweethearts feel our freshly shaved faces and purr something like "Oh Honey thats divine" but everyone knows that we can find a spot or even 2 that still have a slight bit of friction.
So my idea is for us list that area and see how others get it smooth, and I need to define smooth, we are talking fingernail smooth, not like velvet 3 ways but a bit of a pull if you go that last way, the way your sweetheart never seems to gently stroke your fresh shaven face, right before She purrs etc.
For me its the neck, both sides under the jawline, the hair seems to grow straight across, and thicker than anywhere else on my face too, I shave up, down, and then a diagonal up and across and the same down and across, I pull my skin up, down, and every which way, but can never quite hit a perfect 10 on the BBS scale on those 2 areas, I have tried and tried, every day for months now, and even have a couple of thankfully fading battle scars to show for my efforts.
O.K. guys thats me, now whats your rough patch? and how can I get that BBS all over without severing an artery? .. lol

Have you tried just a standard with the grain, then against the grain pass - no inbetweeners? It sounds like thats going backwards, but ive tried the 3 stroke W, X, A and i find i get a better shave just going with then against. Maybe the remaining hair is a little longer, hence easier to grab than if youve done some extra passes?

Dr. Ralfson,

good thread.

I have those spots at both sides of the neck, where the neck is at its hollowest, that are difficult to get.
Took me 2 years to figure out.

First: no matter what, probing against the grain,is the only valid way to declare "totally smooth". Probing with the grain, it's not difficult to declare smooth, but it's cheating.:)

I can only reach that total smoothness when I have cut the whiskers exactly ATG. At those spots on my neck, there's swirling hair growth, they're hollow, and the skin is sensitive. That's quite a challenge.

A smiling edge helps to get into the hollow curve. I need 4 passes: WTG ATG and diagonal upwards from the left and from the right. Only a smooth Coticule edge allows for all those passes without irritation.

Stretching in the right direction helps. Let's see if I can find that drawing I once posted at SRP...
Stretching%28animated%29.gif

So, there's a big difference betwwen pulling the skin down at the neck, or pulling the same skin up, by pushing it above the jaw line.

Finally, the shaving angle makes a difference as well. Shallow ATG is the easiest on your skin, but raising it a bit can manage a closer cut. I use a lighter touch for this, and take extra care not to nick my face.

Thank You Sir Bart, Good Reply, and thanks to everyone who chipped in too,
However the main point of my Thread was to see what other areas everyone found difficult? surely its not just Sherlock and myself?

I too do 4 passes and then usually 2 touch ups as well, I find if the razor is not absolutely spot on that irritation cannot be avoided.
A Scything action seems to help as well, and as said a smiling blade is almost a must have, Tomorrow I shall try with my most Coticule fresh Most smiling blade and try pulling the skin tight from the centre of my throat somehow?

In the meantime heres a couple of pics to show what can happen if you try a little too hard, and what happens when your judgement is way off and you hit the end of your nose instead of resting gently on the filtrum (spl).... Ouch!! hahaha

100_1756.jpg

100_1759.jpg

tat2Ralfy said:
Tomorrow I shall try with my most Coticule fresh Most smiling blade and try pulling the skin tight from the centre of my throat somehow?
It's exactly the same spot as mine Ralfson.

Stick your chin a bit up. Place the 4 fingerstips of your left hand on top your cheekbone. Now push the skin upwards. Do you feel how this stretches the skin on your neck? Stroke your right index finger over the area, as if it were a razor. Can you feel how the whiskers "attend hut"?

Best regards,
Bart.

Bang on Sir Bart, what I normally do is reach over the top, like when you shave down from the sideburn, so my neck skin is pulled onto my face, and then shave from ear to chin so to speak, I then swap to a pull down and do the same area of skin from underneath.

I hear you Ralfson, but the main principle of my suggestion is that you stretch above the jawline while shaving below it. I'm not quite sure you got that. You should see the people in the bar staring, when I discuss these topics with my pal Kris, while we drink a beer and make all the illustrative gestures. :D

Bart.

Ahh
You see I typed that I would stretch above and shave below and vice versa, but that didnt seem right, so I deleted it Hahaha

Yes I can imagine the faces on the straights as your friend and good self stretch away, wiping an index finger over your contorted faces Hahaha Oh and just think, when you use your right hand to stretch your finger "razor" is now almost a coochi shaver! hahahaha

I don't have any areas that 4 passes don't take care of anymore, but I do have an issue trying to get my side burns level. What looks level to me, ends up pointing downward from the ear out. I just have to have my wife tell me when the razor is in the right position.

Ralfy... I think from your photo you are starting a little high for the stash area. LOL..

Ray

rayman said:
I don't have any areas that 4 passes don't take care of anymore, but I do have an issue trying to get my side burns level. What looks level to me, ends up pointing downward from the ear out. I just have to have my wife tell me when the razor is in the right position.

Ralfy... I think from your photo you are starting a little high for the stash area. LOL..

Ray

Interestingly enough, that's my biggest problem too Ray. What I've done that has helped (sometimes) is to reach over with my left hand to do my right sideburns. I go over my head to accomplish that. That's the only way I can get a good enough view of what I'm doing to possibly get it straight... So picture the way you use your left hand to stretch the your right side when doing a north to south pass. I always use that same approach to do my sideburns with the razor in the opposite hand.

For a few bucks, our good dr. Ralfson could tattoo two fine marker lines on your faces.
:lol:

Bart said:
Place the 4 fingerstips of your left hand on top your cheekbone. Now push the skin upwards. (...) the main principle of my suggestion is that you stretch above the jawline while shaving below it.

This has been one of the most helpful posts considering shaving technique I have ever read! I've been having troubles with these "pits of doom", too.

How many times I will say "thank you" here? :D :thumbup: Thank you very much!!

kind regards,
Matt

Back