ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Weck Sextoblade

gvw755

This section looked very lonely and so I decided to start things off talking about my favorite replaceable blade straight razor, the Weck Sextoblade. This was the creation of Edward Weck and patented in 1909. The blade looked like a Gem blade that was stretched out. It had a spine and was approximately 6 cm long (the current Feather AC blade is approximately 5 cm). So the Weck beat out the Feather AC razors by about 50 years.

The early razors had scales like the regular straight razors of the time and could even be stropped, as most of the blades were made of thick carbon steel. The blade slid in from the front of the razor and when used, slid out the same way. This saved the working man from needing to hone his straight razor on a regular basis. The razor did come with a guard, one type being open comb and the other type being a safety bar.

So where does the Sex part of Sextoblade come from? Early razors were sold as seven day sets, but instead of seven razors, there was one razor with seven blades and so it was Sext (six) extra blades, and not Sex (you get the idea).

weck sextoblade1.jpg

Over time, there were some versions made for the US military which were stainless steel scales with the Caduceus symbol on the front. These were used by medical personnel on the front lines for quick operations and not for shaving, unless you had to shave hair from some other body area.

2 weck.JPG

Long after the Sextoblade and the Surgical Prep stopped production, the Weck blade was very popular for barbers and hair stylists to use as hair shapers, and many are still used today for that purpose. Of course, some, like the ones in my bathroom are still used for shaving. rasierensmilie

I have one of the Weck medical razors. I worked in surgery in the army, and that is what we used to prep patients for surgery. It wasn't until I got mine that I turned it on my own face. It is a fine shaver. I never used the comb though. It got in the way.
Weck Sextoblade01.JPG
Weck Sextoblade04.JPGsod181103.JPG

I also found two wecks: the shavette and the single edge. The shavette is a closed comb. It will prevent cutting yourself, but you have to switch when changing/hands. Also shown are the blades that can be used. I have only used the personna with six to a package.

I will try it in the near future without the comb and the kismet blade. Both are fine shavers.

PICT_20230512_121634.JPG
PICT_20230512_121426.JPG
PICT_20230512_121340.JPG
PICT_20230512_121446.JPG

Gents, the real ancestor of the Shavette is the Jeanningros.

I just bought one. This is a big moment for me. The jeanningros has real historical significance. It was a razor praised by Napoleon the third.

I just bought one. This is a big moment for me. The jeanningros has real historical significance. It was a razor praised by Napoleon the third.
Pictures. We need pictures. Google did not help me.

Reactions: ehv

But Napoleon the third had a beard

Waits the Before Gillette book mentions it on page 20-21 and 22.
I have the blades le box, the stropper and the paper work from the 1840.

Guys this is crazy. It's a piece of History.

Jeanningros.jpg

Back