ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Wedge razor honing using Dilucot????

king

I read in Coticule Sharpening Academy about honig wedge razors.
...."The procedure is fairly straightforward: perform steps 1 to 4 of the Unicot method with the required layers of tape for optimal bevel angels, minus one. Next, add the final layer and take the razor through he final steps 5-7."
So, above is pretty clear, but my question is anybody try to hone out wedge using Dilucot from start (bevel setting) to the end (final polishing on water only), and how to do that?
Precisely, I mean, is it correct to do full Dilucot with required tape layers minus one and in the end (when Dilucot finished) add final one tape layer and make steps 5-7 from Unicot.

Thx

While I don't set bevels on razors with my coticule, I hone everything with 1 layer of tape over the spine via the dilucot method (personal preference for not putting spine wear on razors). For wedges, I don't add a second layer of tape to create a secondary bevel and proceed as usual with my 1 layer of tape and the dilucot to finish. I've never had an issue getting a very nice edge this way.

I've just finished a wedge. With a wedge you have to watch you don't get a massive bevel. with out tape this can happen. I'd always set bevel on two layers. keep an eye on evel width. I finish with dilucot. test shave . If the shave is good a but agressive due to bevel being to steep. I go to one layer and repeat. then i will go to no tape and repeat. Only if the bevel is looking in good shape. the wedge i just finished yesterday was perfect shave with dilucot no tape at all.

If your struggling to get keeness, then unicot.

If you get a good bevel you will be surprised how well the wedge will hone up with dilucot. use mild pressure or a tadge more it won't hurt it will work better.

gary

As said from Gary

I go Dilucot and up the half strokes to 25-30 per set instead of 15, and if I simply cant pass the HHT or the bevel gets too wide I add a layer of tape and finish as Unicot, I do find I get the smoothest shaves from a wedge, regardless of which method I end up using, but I do get more satisfaction from Dilucot.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I've noticed just that ralfy. the wedges shave well smooth and fly through stubble. Must be the extra heft and grind.

gary

garyhaywood said:
If the shave is good a but agressive due to bevel being to steep. I go to one layer and repeat. then i will go to no tape and repeat.

gary

Above looks like you create secondary bevel by adding one more tape layer (you said that you use two layers and did test shave and if the razor not there you add one more layer) but I did not understand why you after that go with no tape (and from which step you go with no tape)????

ok. When i first honed a wedge. I honed straight of with out tape. Big mistake i ended up with a massive ugly bevel and i mean big and it took ages to develope the bevel. So as from then. I always added two or even three layers of tape. To set bevel. This way i remove slightly less bevel and the bevel stays thinner. I do this just to be on the safe side. As i'd rather use no tape i gradulay reduce the tape . i keep an eye on the bevel. If i get to one layer and the bevel is looking good (not realy wide) btw bevel on a wedge will normaly be wider than a hollow grind.Then i will probably rehone and set bevel with no layers. if the bevel is as wide as i want then i leave it at one layer of tape. this is where if you understand the spine calculator it will work. I've honed wedge on 3 layers of tape. I use dilucot every time, not unicot. I found the shave to be uncomfortable. this was due to angle being to steep. So i removed a layer and reset bevel and dilucoted with two layers. the shave was say getting more comfy due to the correct angle.I'm not talking about pulling just the razor shaves but somthing does'nt feel right. then i'd go to one layer and repeat. i have found one layer works well and no layers. This all depends on the spione thickness from what i can gather.
If your lacking keeness then after dilucot use inicot as normal . it works well on wedges and saves removing more metal. They are thick and can take some honing, as you will notice. I remember once or twice it took me a good 4 hours to set a bevel on a real dull wedge.

gary

i'm not reat at explaining things as my typing is not brill. i did a wedge with marty today . i ended up using one layer of tape. marty will under standy why as he was with me as we did it.

gary

Back