ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Wedge style razor honing

king

In Coticule sharpening academy I read article about wedge style razor honing where said that method for that kind of honing is Unicot so I am asking is it wrong to use Dilucot with proper layers of tape used from begining instead Unicot for wedge razor honing.

No, it isn't wrong, but if you are going to apply tape anyway, why would you not save one layer for the final step of Unicot? It is just too easy not to do it that way. The typically wide bevel of a wedge razor can be challenging to sharpen as it is. A narrow secondary bevel makes life that much easier, and since the tape (and the disadvantage to retape for touch-ups) is already present, there is just no reason not to use Unicot.

Kind regards,
Bart

Every now and then I Dilucot wedge blades, but only if they are mine and only if the bevel is not too wide, apart from those exceptions I always Unicot, as Sir Bart says why wouldnt you?

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
Every now and then I Dilucot wedge blades, but only if they are mine and only if the bevel is not too wide, apart from those exceptions I always Unicot, as Sir Bart says why wouldnt you?

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Yesterday I recived Wacker "Stosser" Mod.4 Wedge (precisely that's near wedge razor in my oppinion) from shavingshop.com and I asked John not to hone razor. I think about using Dilucot or Unicot and decide to use Dilucot without creating secondary bevel because the bevel on this razor is narrower than bevel on some of my full hollow razors. I add two layers of tape (bevel angle with two tape layers is 19 degrees) and proceed from bevel setting until final honing. In the end bevel still very narrow and shaving was great.
So, now I am interested in that do I need to apply one more tape layer and create secondary bevel (in that case angle will be about 20,2) or leave as it is. What i want to ask? Will I gain some more from secondary bevel or not because shaving was very close way I honed it by using Dilucot with two tape layers?

There is no inherent difference between a well-honed Dilucot edge and a well-honed Unicot edge.
The only difference is that with Unicot it is easier to meet that "well-honed" predicate.

If the razor shaves well, the job is done. :) 20,2 degrees starts to be on the steep side anyway.

Best regards,
Bart.

+1

I did a unicot for the first time in a long time and forgot how easy it is.

I have been having problems dilucoting on my small coticule. So i put a layer of tape on and did the final steps of the unicot process to test my sanity.

I would do the unicot more often, but I am lazy and forget about the tape during touchups. Plus I am stubborn and go mad when I do not get good results from dilucot.

Bart said:
There is no inherent difference between a well-honed Dilucot edge and a well-honed Unicot edge.
The only difference is that with Unicot it is easier to meet that "well-honed" predicate.

If the razor shaves well, the job is done. :) 20,2 degrees starts to be on the steep side anyway.

Best regards,
Bart.

King, I have a Stosser also. It was the first non-sheffield wedge I'd tried. Everyone said that wedges give no feedback. That has not been my experience w/ the Stosser. It just sings baritone to the hollow grind's soprano. The first time I honed, I used no tape, and the bevel width grew alot - about double. At that point, the feedback almost disappeared. I went to 2 layers of tape, and the bevel narrowed after a few touch-ups, and the feedback came back. I have 4 wackers, with a 7/8 Antik on the way now to make the 5th. I love them. If you've ever considered a 1/4 grind, the wacker is magnificent. 'Most natural feeling razor I've ever used. (13/16, 1/4 grind spanish point). I know there aren't many left. I have 2. I liked the first one so much I wanted the 2nd in case something happened to the first one. I love the weight of the Wackers and the width of the shanks. Big hands need something to grip. I can't wait for the Antik. There are a few 15/16 left on the German website. Apparently there used to be 6/8 Antiks also, but they're long gone. I got this 7/8 used.

I also think you're smart for honing yourself. Of the 2 honed by John, both had to be re-honed after about 10-15 shaves. I like John & would gladly buy from him again, but I'd hone myself.

pinklather said:
It just sings baritone to the hollow grind's soprano. The first time I honed, I used no tape, and the bevel width grew alot - about double. At that point, the feedback almost disappeared. I went to 2 layers of tape, and the bevel narrowed after a few touch-ups, and the feedback came back.
I also think you're smart for honing yourself. Of the 2 honed by John, both had to be re-honed after about 10-15 shaves. I like John & would gladly buy from him again, but I'd hone myself.

Wedge britnon vs. hollow grind soprano...I am on your side here also and must say that I really prefer that bariton over soprano ;)
When honing "Stosser" Wedge I used two tape layers from the beggining and bevel stays nicely narrow, also I did not make secondary bevel.
I learned something with time, so my decision is to buy razors that are not shave ready. I recived few new razors from well knowed hone meisters and I was not tottaly satisfied with honing job that was done on that razors. First few times shaves was great but after that I have to do bevel corrections and do honing job my way because touc ups did not delivery good shaves. In my oppinion that was due sharpening razors on diamond pastes (time and cost savings). On the other hand now I know which way razor is honed so I am sure that touch ups will do job well when need.

pinklather said:
Apparently there used to be 6/8 Antiks also, but they're long gone. I got this 7/8 used.

I think you may have overlooked something. There is a set consisting of a 6/8 quarter hollow and a 6/8 wedge on the Wacker website. These razors are available individually too. But maybe that quarter hollow grind is not the "Antik" you were referring to. Anyway, I thought it might still be worth mentionning in case somebody is looking for a Wacker with that blade geometry.

Cheers
BlueDun

Yes, Bluedun - the set actually seems well worth the price if the funds are available. JimmyHad bought and reviewed. He liked the wedge better - I'm still madly in love w/ the 1/4 grind.

Back