ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

What do you guys think of this "Rare Purple Coticule"?

I have a purple LPB, and it's similarly colored, but the texture is significantly different. I think that's a BBW.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is an original Veine Loraine, a.k.a "Salmon Rouge". They are described as having a "lie de vin" color in this book about Coticules (French).
If you google "Lie de vin", it comes up with this color:
lycra-lie-de-vin.jpg

However, there is a La Lorraine in the Vault. According to Maurice Celis, it's a kind of BBW. The test sample he gave me is much bluer than "lie de Vin". Paul Richmond owns a Coticule with that color. Maurice was 100% sure that it was a part of the La Petite Blanche layer, and I trust that man's word as much as I trust my own.

I should have an old source somewhere that sums Coticule and BBW layers in their natural order. I wouldn't be surprised if it lists La Lorraine and La Petite Blanche adjacent to each other...
If I find it, I'll post back.

Best regards,
Bart.

I know very well Bart the color and the smell of the lie de vin making my own ,but i dont like the la lie du peuple.
Best regards
Emmanuel

I have been looking through some texts, but unfortunately could not find information about the exact order of the layers with regards to the veine Lorraine. I did find a fragment that states that the total thickness of all usable layers at a particular site was about 50cm for the Coticules + another 25 cm for La Veine Lorraine.
The ways the sentence is formulated, seems to indicate that La Veine Lorraine indeed was not a Coticule layer, but as Maurice Celis told me, a BBW layer with better than average abrasive speed.

Bart.

Great info as usual Bart! That would really be an exotic addition to any collection. I'm guessing the color of that stone/slurry would make it tough to see how much metal you were removing.

Loric said:
Great info as usual Bart! That would really be an exotic addition to any collection. I'm guessing the color of that stone/slurry would make it tough to see how much metal you were removing.

you can check the edge for steel :)

Back