ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

What is it about the edges from my Coticule...

Paul

Well-Known Member
That make is seem like it's not dangerous at all even though it's just wiping the whiskers away? It's the strangest thing... I have been able to apply pressure without irritation; I've had the razor "dig in" a little a couple of times without getting cut, and my face feels perfectly refreshed after my shaves without any irritation... It almost seems like it's dull even though it's performing exceptionally well in the shave.

Am I alone in this observation? Can anyone explain what's going on to make it this way?

TYIA
 

StraightRazorDave

Well-Known Member
Paul, although I have no explanation for it, I see/feel the same thing. I find that my coticule produces the most forgiving edges that make it quite hard to cut myself. I know what you mean about it seems dull but gets the job done. It's not dull at all, but it's almost like it's dull to my skin but not to my hair.

IIRC, I remember someone (most likely Bart :) ) on SRP mentioning that a razor sharpened on a coticule does a good job at differentiating between skin and hair, i.e. it cuts the hair well but not the skin. I have no idea why, but I can tell you that you're not alone in the unique feel of a coticuled edge. It's a great thing. :thumbup:
 

Paul

Well-Known Member
StraightRazorDave said:
Paul, although I have no explanation for it, I see/feel the same thing. I find that my coticule produces the most forgiving edges that make it quite hard to cut myself. I know what you mean about it seems dull but gets the job done. It's not dull at all, but it's almost like it's dull to my skin but not to my hair.

IIRC, I remember someone (most likely Bart :) ) on SRP mentioning that a razor sharpened on a coticule does a good job at differentiating between skin and hair, i.e. it cuts the hair well but not the skin. I have no idea why, but I can tell you that you're not alone in the unique feel of a coticuled edge. It's a great thing. :thumbup:

That's exactly what I feel. That's better wording that I could come up with. This is exactly what I'm experiencing... It's truly odd/cool/incredible/awesome/etc. :p
 

jfdupuis

Well-Known Member
I couldn't agree more with you. I have to admit that it doesn't always "pop" hair as much as it does after cr0 or diamond paste. But it cuts hair completely effortlessly. I feel the same about what you said regarding cutting hair, but not really affecting my skin a whole lot. I really enjoy the experience every morning. The only problem now is that I want more razors lol
I've been looking at one of those Friodur from shavingshop lol
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
More people have made that observation. I believe it partially boils down to the "Can a razor be too sharp?" discussion.

Allow me to recycle a post of mine from another forum.

In my daily recurring pondering about razor edges, I differentiate in my mind between a few terms:

-Sharpness: how easily the edge can cleave (a hair, in our case): Both "keenness" and "jaggedness" contribute to "sharpness".

-Keenness: how thin the line is where both bevel sides meet each other.

-Jaggedness: microscopical irregular projections and indentations at the very edge (sawtooth patterns if you wish) add considerate penetration ability.

For some examples:

-The DMT1200 edge, which is very sticky on both the TNT and TPT and easily pops a hanging hair, lends it sharpness on plenty of jaggedness and reasonable keenness.

-The completed bevel on a typical Coticule with slurry feels less sticky on TNT and TPT, and does not pop a hanging hair. There is no jaggedness to aid the keenness.

-Often, progressing to a finer step in a setup of synthetic water hones, makes the edge appear less sharp after the first laps. I believe this is because the jaggedness disappears before the keenness catches up after doing some more work.

There is little doubt in my mind that an edge can truly be too sharp. A lot of straight razor shavers find that hard to accept, because sharpness is what draws a man like a magnet to a straight razor. "I like living on the edge" is not for nothing a saying often heard in macho circles. The circles where more HP makes a better engine, the peatier a whisky the better, bigger boobs are hotter, the best bowlers use the heaviest ball, etc. Obviously, less sharper edges are for fags that can't handle real sharpness.:rolleyes:

I think Coticules yield excellent edges, that differentiate very well between whiskers and skin:sleep:, because the relatively big garnets with their facets meeting at obtuse angles, are incapable of creating toothy indentations at the very edge. In absence of those teeth we need very high keenness, to make the edge penetrate the hair shaft well. The natural limit of our beloved hones seems about perfect for the kind of pressure most shavers put on the blade (light, yet enough to comfortably guide the razor with a steady hand).

Those who would want to experience an edge that I personally find "too sharp", could try some diamond paste at 0.25 micron. Give a perfect Coticule edge a good stropping on it... I know there are people who like such edges, but I am not one of them.

Best regards,
Bart.
 

Paul

Well-Known Member
Considering how long it would take, and expensive the tickets for air and ground transportation to my house, I'm really tempted to embed a "thanks" button in this post... However, the prospect of a laptop enema is too unappealing to risk it...:scared:

Excellent information as usual, Sir
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
richmondesi said:
Considering how long it would take, and expensive the tickets for air and ground transportation to my house, I'm really tempted to embed a "thanks" button in this post... However, the prospect of a laptop enema is too unappealing to risk it...:scared:
We have overseas representatives.:lol:
 

tat2Ralfy

Well-Known Member
Bart said:
richmondesi said:
Considering how long it would take, and expensive the tickets for air and ground transportation to my house, I'm really tempted to embed a "thanks" button in this post... However, the prospect of a laptop enema is too unappealing to risk it...:scared:
We have overseas representatives.:lol:

[sub][sub]Amen[/sub][/sub]

eek!
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
You're hired. I'm sending the puck of soap and the gloves, on the double.
Welcome to the CTBRS (Childish Thanks Button Repression Squad).
Your wages will be wired to your bank account.
 

garyhaywood

Well-Known Member
I've tryed, 0.25 dp recently, and it can be harsh. I used cr.0x after and that took the bite out of the edge. As you guys say, after a shave with coticule, there is no iritation at all.

My skin also feels untouched .
 

pedalpowersailing

Well-Known Member
At new year I bought a rusty edge that has been dated late 1800,s. I said that i would not shave again til the razor was ready. That was well over 2 weeks ago, so i have been sporting a beard (yuk)

Anyway, usual tale 220 to get rid of chips, 1000 to get arm hair. Dulled on glass, back to coti, unicot etc

The dissapointing thing is that half a dozen swipes and the beard was gone

The wife summed it up, 2 weeks to grow 2 minutes to shave off

felt nothing, smooth as silk. The edges are perfect, I do not find them threating at all, almost forgiving
 

tat2Ralfy

Well-Known Member
pedalpowersailing said:
1000 to get arm hair. Dulled on glass, back to coti, unicot etc

Fuckin Genius Tim!! thank you thank you thank you!!!
that 1 little step is what i have been missing working on those old blades, then I have a right game getting rid of micro chips etc
 

Smythe

Well-Known Member
pedalpowersailing said:
At new year I bought a rusty edge that has been dated late 1800,s. I said that i would not shave again til the razor was ready. That was well over 2 weeks ago, so i have been sporting a beard (yuk)

Anyway, usual tale 220 to get rid of chips, 1000 to get arm hair. Dulled on glass, back to coti, unicot etc

The dissapointing thing is that half a dozen swipes and the beard was gone

The wife summed it up, 2 weeks to grow 2 minutes to shave off

felt nothing, smooth as silk. The edges are perfect, I do not find them threating at all, almost forgiving
You know often we forget that simple step when anxious to get a blade sharp... thanks for reminding us.
 

justin

Well-Known Member
Bart said:
The circles where more HP makes a better engine, the peatier a whisky the better, bigger boobs are hotter, the best bowlers use the heaviest ball, etc. Obviously, less sharper edges are for fags that can't handle real sharpness.:rolleyes:

All these are so wrong. I particularly don't understand the boobs one. I'll take mine well proportioned thank you. :lol:

All I know is that I have shaved with a razor sharper than what I get off my Coti (it was finished on a Chosera). It was unbelievably sharp, but it was also very harsh. I could easily have gotten a BBS shave with one ATG pass, that is how sharp it was, but as a side effect it was very easy to cut, and irritate my skin. It left this intense burning sensation too. Anyway, the shave off the Coti is infinitely better. It's not as 'sharp', but it is unbelievably smooth, and buttery. I think I use quite a bit of force when I shave ('cept on the neck), and I still don't get irritation or cut myself.

Coticules are the sh!t! :thumbup:
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
justin said:
Bart said:
The circles where more HP makes a better engine, the peatier a whisky the better, bigger boobs are hotter, the best bowlers use the heaviest ball, etc. Obviously, less sharper edges are for fags that can't handle real sharpness.:rolleyes:

All these are so wrong. I particularly don't understand the boobs one. I'll take mine well proportioned thank you. :lol:

OK. Fair enough. I was outa line. I apologize.:)

Can we please be friends again?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
Well, That brassiere does cary very nice Turkish rug patterns, doesn't it?

Other than that, I don't know what you're talking about. :confused:


:lol: :lol: :lol:
 

Paul

Well-Known Member
It's official... I have started the best thread in the history of Coticule.be thanks to Bart's pic :love:

So who gets the credit?:confused:


Cheers, Gang:lol:
 
Top