ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

What strop do you use?

jfdupuis

What strop do you use and do you use something different right after honing? I got a TM linen not too long ago and I'm kinda dissapointed I go from getting HH-2 or 3 off the stone to barely getting one after TM linen and leather. Typically if I use my webbed fabric one I'll get a jump in HHt

I use whatever strop I wish to use at a given moment. There is nothing special about them except that they are ordinary serviceable strops.

If you are having such disappointing results with that strop, Occam's razor suggests user error. You may want to evaluate how you strop.

I don't think so since I'm getting good results with the webbed fabric and I'm getting a reduction with the linen.

I use a SRD Premium I or an SRD Premium IV depending on my location (Texas houses my IV & Shreveport has my I).

I use both their poly webbed and canvas, and my results are good.

Having used Tony's linen, I'm surprised by your results because it was one of my favorite linens.

I use tony miller linen it is my favourite . Its quite a brasive mine that is and it works for me. I use the kanayama linen and leathers at the moment other than that tm set up .

I really don't understand why the TM linen is not boosting my HHT. It seems to be actually reducing it. My webbed fabric one always increases the HHT results. My main reason for getting the TM and and TM linen was just for that.

danjared said:
I use whatever strop I wish to use at a given moment. There is nothing special about them except that they are ordinary serviceable strops.

If you are having such disappointing results with that strop, Occam's razor suggests user error. You may want to evaluate how you strop.

Ah the good old lex parsimoniae. :) I second it.
Here's another one in Latin:
"Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere". Or in other words: use the seatbelt strop if that works for you. I still suspect is has diamond spray on, though.

Bart.

Don't be too quick to discount operator error. 99 times out of 100, when things haven't worked out, we have only ourselves to blame. Not trying to make you feel bad, but in my own case, everything was sailing along just peachy, but every now and again, I would come off the strops in a funny way and cause just a tiny little bit of a rolled edge. It was always on the "dismount". I could do 100 perfect laps, and then screw up the very last one, and not even realize i had done it. Not suggesting that that is what you are doing, but don't discount the possibility that something is going wrong. I finally had to slow down, watch what I was doing and try to re-evaluate everything I was doing objectively. Try to step back and watch yourself critically for any deviation from a perfect stropping session.
Slow down and re-evalute, would be the pithy way to say it.

"Dismount". That is cute. Chris actually told me in a pm that his procedure was 100 perfect strokes on linen/leather and then a "dismount" consisting of tossing the open razor end over end into a drawer full of hones and files.

I have tried a webbed fabric "seat belt" strop once, at Robin's place. It quite literally did nothing for post Coticule stropping, according to the assessment I made on the spot.

Without knowing the source of this webbed fabric strop, let me put it this way: If I had a supply of seatbelt strops to sell, I would buy a bottle of 0.5µ diamond spray, hang them all tightly adjacent to each other on a drying line and spray on a nice invisible coat of that stuff. Of course, I would label them as "treated specially to assure perfect performance".
I absence of such a label, we must conclude that my assessment of the seatbelt stop was wrong.

But I do own a Tony Miller linen, which I have used for almost a year in the condition it arrived newly for nearly a year, and it works perfectly for me.

Bart.

Lol!! It could be I guess, but I never ever get that with the webbed fabric. I think my stropping skills are pretty good since I've been stropping for roughly 3 years now. I don't go super fast, but I try to get into a good pace. I just ordered a replacement webbed fabric (3") to try with the TM latigo and some Dovo white.

Thanks Bart. I also don't understand why I'm not getting the results you guys are all getting with the TM linen. I mean don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful strop and it's a pleasure to use. As far as the seat belt, strop, the webbed fabric I'm referring to is quite different than the material used for seat belts.

Has anybody tried felt? I saw that mentioned in the past on another forum. If so do you need some sort of backing to keep it together?

mysteryrazor said:
Has anybody tried felt? I saw that mentioned in the past on another forum. If so do you need some sort of backing to keep it together?

I've used it. I hated it personally.

danjared said:
mysteryrazor said:

I've used it. I hated it personally.

I've had one of those thick felt strops of Handamerican. I believe it's the same material as they use for the magnetic paddles. But mine was a hanging strop. It absolutely did not work. I was told it was meant to have abrasive paste on, but that was not what I was looking for, so I sold it to someone who hopefully had better use for it.

Kind regards,
Bart

I have a Neil Miller Buffalo/Linen that I use for everything, post honing, daily stropping.
Superb craftsmanship & the linen is the pure, genuine kind.
Lovely feel to strop on.

Jens said:
I have a Neil Miller Buffalo/Linen that I use for everything, post honing, daily stropping.
Superb craftsmanship & the linen is the pure, genuine kind.
Lovely feel to strop on.

I replaced my kanayama linen with a pure linen from Neil Miller .Superb:thumbup:
Rgds
Emmanuel

Torolf's linen component gets better and better. I still love the Dovo V-weave, and now really like the Kanayama after the home treatment. (After I put it out)

I just thought about how little I now use a loom strop, but in reality, they have always given me excellent results on the leather side. How come we never see a linen loom? For a beginner, it would be easy to control, it would seem. I guess there is not much of a market for them. Think I will make one.

Back