ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

What's This? and ten inches long

Toff

Another boring day at the antique stores. I was too tired to work in my shop today. Safety first. Shown next to the Thuringen; what is this thing, is it a hone? It acts after lapping to 1k as if it were 3k. It is hard and barely creates a slurry with a 3k one against it. It is a bit greener than shown on my monitor. It looks like it will glaze to a soft shine like a Chinese stone. the ends have red paint on them.
nn2sm1.jpg

nn5sm1.jpg

Respectfully
~Richard
edit, added side view photo and text

Kind of looks like a stone I got off ebay. I was told by alot of guys that their best guess was it was a washita. They said from the grain in the side it was definently a sedimentary stone. It is very hard, and will barely create any slurry. I'm sure someone more experianced will chime in. Hope this helps in some small way Richard.

Regards
Louis.

000_0073.jpg

000_0060.jpg

000_0061.jpg

Dear Richard,

I have a stone, very similar visually...though i've not spent much time to ascertain its performance capabilities, however your description of 1K-3K sounds familiar. I will try to get some pictures up for your viewing.

I was told that it's probably a Hindostan...they are noted for their layered, almost wood-grained look, from the side.

Kind regards,

Mac

Hello Mac,
Thank you for the information. It is a very fast cutter and I liken it in action to a Chosera of between one and three k grit.
Had I not pulled the trigger on a Chosera 1k for initial bevel setting on many rescued razors, it would, and may still be, a go to hone for initial restoration of abused razors.
Thank you again!
Respectfully
~Richard

Dear Richard,

Here are, finally, pictures of my Hindostan. Sorry it took so long to post.
If i recall correctly, the dimensions are approximately: 8x2x1.

Thanks,

Mac

hindostan1.jpg

hindostan2.jpg

hindostan3.jpg

hindostan4.jpg

Hello Mac,
:thumbup: I think that you have nailed the stone type. Thank you and others for helping me decide to keep this "wee little beastie!" That is a nice thing about this forum; Helpful!
Respectfully
~Richard

Back