ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

When do you get your best shave?

jfdupuis

Hey guys,

Just shaved again with my 6/8 Extra Hollow. The shave was pretty good but probably not as good as my first one yesterday. I didn't have much to shave today so I'm thinking that might be why? Do you guys get better results with slightly longer hair?

Cheers,

JF

My best shaves are on 2 or 3 day's growth... I'm not sure why, but it always seems to work out that way.

I suspect that it has to do with your face having more time to recover

richmondesi said:
I suspect that it has to do with your face having more time to recover
I'll second that. But the skin condition is also determined by the previous shave. I definitely have razors with an edge that allows me to shave daily without skin protest. (edge quality is determined by the steel properties in the first place and the finishing qualities of the Coticule in the second place). With the more "rejuvenating" edges, as I call them, I can't shave 3 days in a row without getting a bit of fuzziness to my skin. However, I usually don't shave daily, so I like those "rejuvenating" edges, albeit I don't grab for them if I occasionally shave a second or a third day in a row.

On an entirely different note: if the one-day stubble is not longer than what remains left of a multi-day growth ofter a WTG pass, It might be better skipping the WIG pass, and invest the saved time in extra work with the shaving brush Dive straight into your ATG or XTG pass, after that. It saves your skin an amount of peeling that builds up with each pass.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
I'll second that. But the skin condition is also determined by the previous shave. I definitely have razors with an edge that allows me to shave daily without skin protest. (edge quality is determined by the steel properties in the first place and the finishing qualities of the Coticule in the second place). With the more "rejuvenating" edges, as I call them, I can't shave 3 days in a row without getting a bit of fuzziness to my skin. However, I usually don't shave daily, so I like those "rejuvenating" edges, albeit I don't grab for them if I occasionally shave a second or a third day in a row.

On an entirely different note: if the one-day stubble is not longer than what remains left of a multi-day growth ofter a WTG pass, It might be better skipping the WIG pass, and invest the saved time in extra work with the shaving brush Dive straight into your ATG or XTG pass, after that. It saves your skin an amount of peeling that builds up with each pass.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I agree with you. When I have to shave on back to back days, I'll usually just go straight to ATG or XTG with a little touchup. I don't find it necessary to do the full 3 pass shave every day.

On a side note. I like the change in the quoted boxes. I know you are putting in a lot of work with this site, and it's really coming along nicely:thumbup:

I have to agree on the 2 day growth makes for a smoother shave, I think its bot skin condition and beard length and the Razors edge has a huge influence, I can use my beloved Globusmen 4 days in a row no problems, but if I choose another very very slightly less smooth one I get a little burn, btw I tend to shave everyday most of the time now and any burn I get soon goes with the use of good products e.g. asb etc. as with all shaving its a combination of prep, soap, razor, aftercare etc that makes for a good shave.

Hey guys,

I've been shaving every single day for about 3 months now. I work in an office environment (law office) where I need to be clean shaven. Also I've developed some rather big bald spots here and there in my beard (it's skin condition. Hopefully it will grow back soon. When it does at least I'll be able to skip the weekend and give my skin some much deserved rest. If I don't shave for more than a day those bald spots make me look like a complete goof so!

Cheers,

JF

Forgot to say that I usually do a One pass shave with some touch ups around the chin area. Since I shave every day and have very sensitive skin especially in the winter here in Canada, I would not be able to do a 3 pass shave every day. I'm so glad i've finally found prorasos pre-post cream. I use Thayers Aloe and then apply a little bit of the proraso balm after and my skin feels greaT!

I agree with the two day preference.
But since I work as a funeral director people expect me to be cleanshaven, so it's an every day thing. (which I don't really mind. I like shaving. I'd rather not shower for a day, then to skip a shave. I just feel so much cleaner after a good shave.:thumbup: Sometimes in the weekend I skip a day to give the skin a break.)
I don't really have a 'ritual' (I second the shave-without-humbug-sentiment).
Most times I'll strop and get the razor ready. Then have a shower.
Then I get a bowl of hot water and lather up.
Shave and rinse. Then I put on some aftershave balm.
The dry all the gear etc.
After dressing mostly some kind of good cream and that's about it.

I've been a wetshaver for my whole live (haven't touched an electric one ever :thumbup: )
First the regular Gilette and Mach 3. Since about 10 years I've used a DE and later a straight.

No particular ritual, and no razor burn.:lol:

Back