ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Which Layer...

Harvitz81

Hey all coticule experts!

I'm looking for some information on specific coticule layers. Currently I use a small hone (150x35mm) to do my dilucot on as it is an extremely fast cutter and then usually finish on another coticule (175x40mm) that is dreadfully slow with slurry, but leaves a great finish on water.

I really like the size of the 175x40mm one and want to get a new coticule that size to replace my fast cutting coticule to be used exclusively for the dilucot method.

Specifically I was wondering what layer is most know for being rather fast on slurry? Finishing properties don't really matter as I have a coti for that already or usually go to an escher. I'm really just wondering what layer would be the best for me in terms of being fast on slurry so that I can specifically request that layer when ordering from ardennes.

I know every natural hone is different, just was wondering which layer is typically describes as being fast on slurry.

you will need a la vainette or la patite blanch, i'm sure if you email ardanees and just tell then you want a real fast cutter they will send you one. there are quite a thew that are fast.

Thanks Gary!

I kind of like the looks of the LPB anyway so I'll probably go with that. Unfortunately I have no idea what the two I have are as they were both 'Vintage' (term used loosely) purchased off ebay.

My real slow cutter has a manganese line (or is it a magnesium) running through it - maybe I'll post a pic to see if anyone can identify the layer. It is dreadfully slow and basically pointless to even try the dilucot on it though. I just really like the size of it and how it finishes.

Yeah I saw those, but they look like all of them are 50x200mm which is a little big for me (and a little more than I want to spend). I'll shoot him an email anyway and see if he has any not on the site yet.

I saw some smaller ones he just didn't have them listed as such. He'll hook you up. Send him an email. I have a La Petite I got from there and its fast.

You could look for Les Latneuses as well. I've never encountered faster Coticules than the fastest Les Latneuses.
Also La Dressante and La Nouvelle Veine can yield very fast stones. But that would require confirmation from a seller who knows what he's talking about. The Superior Shave is a safe bet in that respect.

Le Petite Blanche and La Veinnete are known to offter very consistely the same properties, so they're always good if you're looking for a fast Coticule.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thanks Bart!

Believe me I've been looking for a les lat for awhile now and they don't seem to be around. I emailed Ardennes last month and they said they currently weren't in production.

I sent an email to Jarrod at superiorshave and am awaiting a response on if he has a LPB in the size I'm looking for. If not I'll just ardennes an email and see if they can accommodate me.

I have many expensive finishers, yet coticules are more important to me as I only do the dilucot after bevel setting to get to them and thus they get much, much more use.

It's all good. I just didn't want one as big as the one you offered. I have patience and eventually will probably get one and if not - oh well. As if I don't own enough hones as is.

Jarrod was out of the 40x175mm LPB so I'm going to shoot ardennes an email.

Back