ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Wondering what layer this is from?

kinematic

I recently picked up a coticule @ a flea market and I'm thinking it's a La Veinette. It raises a slurry quickly and it's very fast. I'm just curious if maybe someone can tell what layer it's from?

19032010767.jpg

Hi Kinematic,

Welcome to Coticule.be

If you want any chance at a positive ID, you need to show pictures of the narrow sides as well.

Best regards,
Bart.

Very sweet looking stone, I lack the expertise of Sir Bart when it comes to identification but I have a stone from the La Veinette layer, (#10 in the vault) and indeed it looks very very similar.

Welcome to Coticule.be
Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I also have a La Veinette stone (it actually fell so no I have 4 slurry stones :p ) and this one is very similar in how it sharpens wich is why I think this is also La Veinette. It does the same great job of sharpening my chisels (I use it @ work, I'm a carpenter).

@ Smythe:

I found it @ you guessed it....a flea market :p

It looks to me like a "La Nouvelle Veine". Those white speckles and small blue lines in the narrow side of the Coticule slice give it away actually. A "La Veinette" should have withe lines in the narrow side of the Blue slice.
"La Nouvelle Veines" can be quite fast, depending on which part of the layer it was cut. (La Nouvelle Veine can be 7cm wide). This one comes from the boundary of the layer, still attached to the adjacent blue.

Kind regards,
Bart.

This one is 6 cm wide and it's very fast indeed so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. You know, I don't understand why Coticules aren't more known among carpenters in the Netherlands. I've never come across any other carpenters who have a Coticule. They all use coarse, cheap, synthetic stones typically in the 800-1000 range that aren't nearly as fast as my now broken La Veinette or this one.

Back