ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

A conversation about

Hold on! how do you know what I look like Justin :confused:

justin said:
Do you longboard Ralfy?

I did every now and again, I still have my Lush its beautiful, but about 5 yrs ago I had a big "off", long story but heres the highlights:

Divorce
Girlfriend
Break up
Time alone
Holiday
Big off
Bad Ribs
Friends 21st
Blown Engine ('69 beetle)
Broken Cellphone
Lost
last £3.50 (I stil have it)
Rescued
Visit Old Friend on way home
Still have pain

Wonderful adventure mate

Hey Justin, I wanted to let you know that ancient dudes can also rip up the pavement. I have over 10 different boards. I'm not a skate park guy, but I love to carve down nice long hills! I've been skating since 1977. I'd wager that you were not yet born when I got my first Gordon and Smith Proline 300 with red krypt wheels and ... what were those trucks? Loosing memory. OK I might be an ancient dude:w00t:
Dave

justin said:
But Bart looks so young! Bart, anyone ever tell you you look like Le Comte de Monte Cristo?
Nope, you're the first to bring up the Count. People used to tell me I looked just like Frank Zappa (I used to wear my hair longer and sport a soul patch). But since it started to turn gray, my wife prefers a shorter haircut. Same reason I started shaving more regularly a few years ago. Gray stubble looks so scruffy.
I'm 40 by the way, that's why I look still young...:D

Bart.

Bart, I am liking you more each day! I wish I could of seen you with the stash and soul patch. Many people have a strange misconception about Frank Zappa. I enjoy his music. Mary and I have seen several world premiers of his classical compositions at the Disney Center in Los Angeles. Frank is also consistently ranked in the top 10 guitar players of all times. Dead at 52; guys, not to be preachy (again) but, regular prostate exams are important:cry:
Cheers,
Dave

davek said:
guys, not to be preachy (again) but, regular prostate exams are important:cry:
Cheers,
Dave

How very true
You wouldnt believe how hard it was to convince my Alicia that She had a prostrate :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a little late to join this conversation, however I completely agree. I know my grandfather used a straight each sunday. And my dad told me the guy had one stone and one strop. I didn't know what stone and all that, but anyway, so then I arrive on internet and start looking for that stone. Turns out, apparently I need to spend my month's salary to buy the 5 hones and pastes and films (the bare minimum) to get my razor honed.

How the flipping heck did my grandfather ever afford those? And still he claimed to my dad that it was the best shave he got (every sunday before going to church the poorer people would shave at home, the richer people would buy a razor, and take it to the barber for a shave on sunday before church, fun fact). So he must have been doing something right with that darn single stone.

My luck was that I read Bart's article on srp and noticed he used only coticule and a BBW (which is a cheap stone anyway). More luck struck when Bart invited me to have the razor fixed and he would show me how it worked, yay :w00t: As you can guess, he had quite some stones on the table, yet, correct me if I'm wrong Bart, you honed almost all the time on a damn coticule :scared:

Got myself that coticule, and still do what he showed and explains on this site. To be honest, I have no clue what grit rates I go through when adding water, but for some reason, my razor shaves hair. Though the HHT does not seem to work for me :blush:

I just noticed that this thread went way off topic and my reply completely disrupts the conversation, oh well, carry on :D

Great story, Jan.

It's always fun to have someone over for eh, a honing lesson. As a matter of fact, a fellow straight shaver just left less than an hour ago. His Coticule in one hand and his both razor (now HHT positive) in his other hand, a big smile on his face.

He sat on the same chair as you did, although there were only Coticules on the table this time (and one DMT-600 later on to fix some chips missing at the edge of a Thiers Issard).:)

Don't worry about the HHT, if the shaves are nice. It's only one possible method to probe the edge while honing (the article is in the Sharpening Academy).

You should drop by again, sometime,
Bart.

Back