ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

A finishing secret

deighaingeal

I was recently asked about how I get an even epoxy finish on my brushes and scales. I decided that if I were to release a "secret" that it would be done here.
First and foremost, hand sanding sucks! I do not sand my finishes unless absolutely needed.
I took a rod lathe used for curing epoxy on my custom fly rods and modified it to hold whatever I am curing.
For most people they could purchase one of these from any rod building supplier or they could obtain a rotisserie motor and modify that to function as they see fit. I have many of these some with adjustable RPM and some reversible, but for most of applications I stay between 10 and 36 RPM.
The picture includes how I mount a brush handle (Chris' brush).
For scales I have an adapter made from packaging foam that allows me to use paper clips coated in paraffin wax to hold them. I must say that I rarely use epoxy for scales, but when I do this makes it so much easier. I have no drips to sand off and the finish is even.
If you are using this for scales do not coat the wedge area too thick as this makes the wedge fit poorly and then you have to sand I generally coat this area very thin if at all during this process.

IMG00161-20101114-2118.jpg

That is two motors attached to a plate I switch between them by moving the belt.
I use the foil below to mix the epoxy then to catch drips as I pay more attention to the handle rather than the application brush.

Gleaming :thumbup:

I use a small metal lathe in much the same way, and yes hand sanding sucks...lol

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Now that’s a peach. The folks who make brush handles will turn on a wood lathe… but most wood lathe cannot spin slowly enough for epoxy coat.

And you adapt this device for razor scales… genius indeed… thanks for sharing :thumbup: :thumbup: .

Chaps, how long should I expect epoxy resin to cure? I glued the liners to the scales, and, although hard, the thing is still sticky after 24 h... I'm talking regular epoxy here, 10 parts resin to 1 part of hardener. Funnily enough, three or four days ago I was testing one of these epoxy glues that you mix 1:1 as a finish - its still sticky, too... :blink:

cheers,
Matt

Matt.Normally all adhesives of two parts need 8 days to get full hardness.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Try Devcon 5
It sets in 5 minutes, but still has a slightly surface for a day or two, unless you get it out of contact with air, top tip is a little vacuum pot that you can buy for storing food items etc, I use one made would you believe for drawing air out of fishing pellets, or even simpler is a wet finger rubbed all over, spit works better than water too as its more sticky
You will need to leave it a day after you wet it, but dry it first as the damp may cause the top surface to bloom (cloud over)

And once it's set hard, it is tough as anything

Thanks, guys.

Ralfy, I'm confused about wetting/drying, excuse me, try a bit slower, please .:)
tat2Ralfy said:
You will need to leave it a day after you wet it, but dry it first as the damp may cause the top surface to bloom (cloud over)

Matt said:
Thanks, guys.

Ralfy, I'm confused about wetting/drying, excuse me, try a bit slower, please .:)
tat2Ralfy said:

Rub it over with a wet finger once it has cured, this will remove a lot of the stickiness, then wipe it dry with a soft clean cloth or tissue, and set it aside in the warm for a day, then you should find it loses any remaining stickiness :thumbup:

I did read my reply after I posted it, and thought it wasnt that clear myself lol

Regards my friend
Ralfson (Dr)

Matt ,Ralfy i use this lamp to cure faster the musical instrument varnich.I thing is a good solution.
If you can't find it in the market you can use a simple incandescent red lamp.
6286498784_ca3e156fc3_z.jpg

6285981773_ccb8dbe9f3_z.jpg

Best regards
Emmanuel

Now it's all clear, good Doctor. :thumbup:

Emmanuel, is that an infrared bulb?

cheers,
Matt

Back