ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Alum?

Matt

Gentlemen,

What kind of alum do you use? I see that most often potassium alum is used, but I can only get ammonium alum around. Is there much of a difference?

regards,
Matt

It is said that potassium alum stings a bit less.

I have used "block Osma", wich I think is Potassium alum.
Since a few months, I'm using a no-brand alum block from the local supermarket. I don't know which type of alum that is, but I can't discern the difference anyway. (I still have a very small piece my worn block Osma, and I have compared both.)

I don't think it matters much.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I use potassium alum, bought at Gary`s...the only one I ever tried so dont know if there is any difference.

Kind regards

Matt,
I have a potassium alum bar that I picked up a long time ago. Used it just a couple of times and decided it was a waste of my time. If you think you would like it, I will send it to you in a package that will be coming your way soon.

Ray

Block Osma guy here as well
and I have a NOS english vintage block from c1950's taste the same, but burns a little more!

Dont tell Bart, but I do quite enjoy Thayers witch hazel some days too, it is like the alum and a good balm in one.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I bought a Shavex brand alum bar it is made with potash I think? It was 12 dollars I think and came with a little case to hold it. I haven't tried it out yet, but will post a little review when I have time.

Thank you all, dear Sirs.

rayman said:
Used it just a couple of times and decided it was a waste of my time. If you think you would like it, I will send it to you in a package that will be coming your way soon.

That's just too good! :thumbup: Thank you very much Ray, but maybe someone on the other side of the pond will be more in the need of it, I'll get mine here. What made me wonder though, was why you didn't like it at all?

Package... soon... ahhh! :w00t: Please send it as insured package, or contact me before. We've had a serious problem with a strop from Gary, it actually got lost. :thumbdown:

regards,
Matt

Ok, so I managed to get myself a block of potash alum as well. I am quite satisfied with the use of it, the sting is just enough to feel some action it does, but not uncomfortable. I think it leaves my skin in better condition, less prone to itching.

kind regards,
Matt

Back