ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Any Coti honing problems??

tat2Ralfy

Hi, Dr Ralfson here.
It seems an age since we had anyone ask for help with coticule honing directly.
So please feel free to ask if you have an issue that anyone can help with
Thank You.

Hi there,

Interesting, I honed one of my Wapis a few days ago, I was trying dilucot which turned out to be quite decent, HHT passed at 3 to 4. Shaved with it without any effort or discomfort. Yesterday I took a full hollow Wilhelm Boos SIGI (of course I got to arm shaving stage, moved on further from this point), diluting in even finer steps - I guess I did something like 10 dilutions of 10 strokes on my #25, then 50 on water - and all I achieved was a violin. Hmm, different steel, different day? Still a lot to learn... :)

kind regards,
Matt

You could give it another 50 on water and see how that violin plays, if it gets louder you know you are going the right way to improve the edge.
I think you will get better results if you do 7 dilutions with 30 laps each and then 1 last 1 with 50 laps, rinse the coti, 50 laps on water, then rinse again but this time rub it clean with your hand under the running water, another 50 laps on water to finish, try it and let me know
Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Oh sweet Jesus, this is so many strokes... :blink: :)

Thanks for this advice!

Matt

For sure, thats the thing with Dlocut, its all about laps, somewhere between 3-400 ish, thats not as many as it sounds when your technique is down, the same goes for finishing on water, an extra 100 is no biggie at all ;)

Good Lord...and if any one of those strokes damages the edge you can start all over again..
:-/

What a silly hobby ...hahaha love it!

Regards Gents & keep honing....so will I

torbenbp said:
Good Lord...and if any one of those strokes damages the edge you can start all over again..
:-/

What a silly hobby ...hahaha love it!

Regards Gents & keep honing....so will I

Not totally, just like that new fangled pyramid system with them there man made imitation hones, you can back up a little if you need too, a couple of rubs with with the slurry stone and your back in the action, unless you bugger the edge proper in which case you might want to re-evaluate your technique, cause thats gonna be a big fly in the ointment whatever hone/hones/method your using.

richmondesi said:
Which is why Unicot is such a beautiful thing... :)

Absolutely :thumbup: the only ever problem I have had with it is, forgetting which razors I used it on when it comes to a touch up ...lol 60X mag gives the game away though.

My word i have never been so offended in all my years! thats it I resign my commision!...Bwhahahaha :w00t:

Seriously I am 3 years weed free after a 20yr habit, and how could I be offended by a friend Torben? we are cooler than the gang buddy :thumbup:

tat2Ralfy said:
My word i have never been so offended in all my years! thats it I resign my commision!...Bwhahahaha :w00t:

Seriously I am 3 years weed free after a 20yr habit, and how could I be offended by a friend Torben? we are cooler than the gang buddy :thumbup:

3 years :w00t:

Very cool :thumbup:

Thank You Paul :)

Unfortunately weed wasnt my only weakness! however I am still (recently) clean clean clean, for the first time in like forever :thumbup:

Nothing to say Sorry for my friend :thumbup:
I hope tomorrow is a better day for you
Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

Hi guys,
Back to topic guy's, I just inherited four razor's and their cobwebs. I have managed to get three shaving comfortably (wostenholm, gong , Nodzu electric razor). I Honed all three using no 18 to set the bevel, then progressed to BBW to get keenness finished on 18. The fourth one though, a G myers is a lovely happy smiling lady that is getting under my skin. I am struggling to get the bevel set right. I have read the razor sharpening strokes especially on rolling x stroke. this just a matter of patience and perseverance to learn the technique, any tip's much appreciated.

many thanks Michael

kishti22 said:
Hi guys,
Back to topic guy's, I just inherited four razor's and their cobwebs. I have managed to get three shaving comfortably (wostenholm, gong , Nodzu electric razor). I Honed all three using no 18 to set the bevel, then progressed to BBW to get keenness finished on 18. The fourth one though, a G myers is a lovely happy smiling lady that is getting under my skin. I am struggling to get the bevel set right. I have read the razor sharpening strokes especially on rolling x stroke. this just a matter of patience and perseverance to learn the technique, any tip's much appreciated.

many thanks Michael

2 tips:
1. Don't be tempted to raise the slurry too thick: certainly not denser than coffee cream.
2. Don't be afraid of using halfstrokes that only concentrate on part of the edge. If the heel part stays behind, work on the heel part, if the toe part stays behind, work on the toe part, but don't forget it's the high spots that need to be brought down to sharpen an edge and keep an eye on the shape of the edge.

Best regards,
Bart.

tat2Ralfy said:

Jeez I am 6 months free from a 4 year prescription opiate/heroin addiction - I would probably be dead if I went 20 years, I don't think many make it that long. 3 years seems like a long time. At the moment straight razors are taking its place, thank god for that and hones hahaha.

mrmaroon said:
Jeez I am 6 months free from a 4 year prescription opiate/heroin addiction - I would probably be dead if I went 20 years, I don't think many make it that long. 3 years seems like a long time. At the moment straight razors are taking its place, thank god for that and hones hahaha.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Back