ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Chinese 12k

Matt

Greetings, gentlemen

Has anyone of you tried anything beyond Coti, like a Chinese whetstone? I bought one of those without actually knowing much about honing; I haven't got my Cotis yet, but I'm wondering in advance, will it be too wide a gap between grits, or not? These Chinese stones are not of course exact 12k, but really fine finishers, nevertheless. Any experience with such combination?

kind regards,
Matthew

Hi,
I used to have a Chinese hone...
I used it after an 8k Naniwa or after my Coti. I don't think it makes that much difference using it after a Coticule with water only. It works differently, leaving a very polished edge, maybe "keener" than that left by the Coti but less smooth.
I would use it as a finisher after a progression of artificial hones, if you prefer absolute keenness.
Used without slurry it's extremely slow, so I don't think you could use it as your only finisher after, say, a BBW.
It's not a funny hone to use, it doesn't offer almost no feedback...

james said:
Hi,
I used to have a Chinese hone...
I used it after an 8k Naniwa or after my Coti. I don't think it makes that much difference using it after a Coticule with water only. It works differently, leaving a very polished edge, maybe "keener" than that left by the Coti but less smooth.
I would use it as a finisher after a progression of artificial hones, if you prefer absolute keenness.
Used without slurry it's extremely slow, so I don't think you could use it as your only finisher after, say, a BBW.
It's not a funny hone to use, it doesn't offer almost no feedback...
I've never used the Chinese hone, but I am curious, is it anything like using a barber hone?

I have a 6x2 ch12k and i love the feel of this hone it feels very hard but nice and smooth. To be onest i never used it much as i stick with coti and have masterd how to get the most out of it. they both leave a smooth edge and i would say as for keenes the coticule is as keen as you will get if used right so its down to your honing ability. what i will do soon is do a full rehone on coti shave and then do a further 100 laps on my ch12k shave and test and i will post differance if there is any. That will be my next experimant.

garyhaywood said:
I have a 6x2 ch12k and i love the feel of this hone it feels very hard but nice and smooth. To be onest i never used it much as i stick with coti and have masterd how to get the most out of it. they both leave a smooth edge and i would say as for keenes the coticule is as keen as you will get if used right so its down to your honing ability. what i will do soon is do a full rehone on coti shave and then do a further 100 laps on my ch12k shave and test and i will post differance if there is any. That will be my next experimant.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I do use the C12k in my progression beyond the Coticule. After I'm done with coti+water, I do about 100 laps on the C12k, then hit a CrOx balsa strop, and then leather.

I did initially do a test where I had 3 identical razors, one went from Coti -> CrOx, the 2nd Coti -> C12k, and the third went Coti -> C12k -> CrOx.

I have never just shaved off the Cticule, but the next razor I get I will try it as well to see what I notice, but from what I did before, I did seem to get a bit of a smoother shave from Coti -> C12k -> CrOx than the others though. I believe I will repeat this this again, and see what I can observe.

garyhaywood said:

Gary,
Try this with your Hard Balsa Strop. Come off the Coti, put 3 layers of tape on the spine, do 6 to 10 very light laps on the HBS and then strop on leather as usual and go shave with it.

Ray

I have not tried it yet for touchup. I don't see why it won't work though. I have also had great results with just 1 piece of tape.

Ray

right ray so if i i've just finished dilucot method by witch i mean finished on water then i add 3 layers of tape and then balsa hone ?

garyhaywood said:
right ray so if i i've just finished dilucot method by witch i mean finished on water then i add 3 layers of tape and then balsa hone ?

Gary,
Yes. You can even try it with just 1 piece to start. That works good too. Be careful with that Crox I sent you, it is really pure stuff and works very fast. Make sure you use very, very light strokes and only 6 to 10.

Last night I had something really interesting happen. I was honing a couple of Pumas for someone and I used the unicot method. On the second one I added 2 extra layers of tape and did 6 laps on my balsa crox board. After 40 laps on synthetic and 60 on leather, I took a piece of hair and went to check the edge. I grabed the hair 2 inches from the end, by accident, and was getting ready to move my fingers in closer, when the end touched the razors edge and the hair just poped off. Yikes! I have never done this before.

It was late, but I have more razors to do tonight so I can't wait to see if I can duplicate this. No2 is an incredible stone.

Ray

btw ray what powder is it i have a tub of hand american crox powder is it the same stuff?

So unicot method you finish on one layer of tape as normal. Then do you add either 1 or 2 layers of tape then do 6 laps on crox balsa hone? or add 6 laps on balsa hone using the original layer of tape plus extra layer which makes it two layers ?

Oops,I've just noticed I had accidentally put this thread in 'Marketplace'. Smythe, Bart, feel free to move it to 'Stones and Hones' if it's possible.

regards,
Matt

Back