ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

CV Heljestrand

gvw755

Since I tried out an SE razor last night and since one of the other places is currently doing SEptember. I decided to pull out my CV Heljestrand razor for tonight's shave. This is an ancient one that uses a wedge blade (it can use a regular Gem blade, but that is no fun. ;)

My razor originally came with a case, the razor and a wedge blade from somewhere else. @efsk was nice enough to send over a NOS unused Heljestrand wedge blade, which I had to hone myself, but the amazing thing about Swedish steel is that it hones well and holds an edge. This one was a definite two pass plus touch up BBS shave and the lather catcher allowed me to go through one pass without rinsing the razor. rasierensmilie

cv2.JPG
cv1.JPG

Terrific razors, these Heljestrand SE's. You can find the exact same razors branded Kindall, which was a Parisian store that sold a lot of rebranded Heljestrand hardware.
Here is mine, one of the few SE's I intend to keep:
DSC02862.JPG
DSC02863.JPG
DSC02864.JPG
DSC02865.JPG
DSC02866.JPG
DSC02867.JPG
DSC02868.JPG
DSC02869.JPG
DSC02870.JPG
DSC02871.JPG
DSC02872.JPG
DSC02873.JPG
DSC02874.JPG
DSC02875.JPG

Found a pristine looking Kindal/Heljestrand weekset, with days in German.The set consists of a chrome razor with two-part handle, a stroppinghelp (that does not quite fit in the handle), seven blades, and a strop, as well as two orginal inserts.
The strop is rather interesting: it has a "clasp" to attach it to door or wall, a part where the blade is inserted in, and handles on bothe ends of the leather, so you can pull alternating left and right. You keep the blade in place, and move the leather! Kind of makes you wonder why the stroppinghelp is added, unless it's meant for honing.
Inserts state stropping must be done immediately AFTER the shave.
I expect this to shave as great as the one I've shown above.
DSC04970.JPG
DSC04971.JPG
DSC04972.JPG
DSC04973.JPG
DSC04974.JPG
DSC04975.JPG
DSC04976.JPG
DSC04978.JPG
DSC04979.JPG
DSC04980.JPG
DSC04982.JPG
DSC04983.JPG

The most robust leather catcher out there. Hefty and feels luxurious. I personally own two set and wouldn't mind getting two more if I didn't have other priorities.

Reactions: ehv
What's a fair number to expect to get a nice one of these sets with an original blade? Very little is online, and I've seen a 15 euro to 425 USD spread!

What's a fair number to expect to get a nice one of these sets with an original blade? Very little is online, and I've seen a 15 euro to 425 USD spread!
Hey Mike,

It depends on the shape of the box and the completeness of the set. Between 150-225 for a very good one. No more.
Mine has a suede Lining that's rare. That's actually the first time I saw this.

Heljestrand/Kindal are made of Swedish stainless steel and not brass like the rest. They are the best lather catchers you can get.

Hey Mike,

It depends on the shape of the box and the completeness of the set. Between 150-225 for a very good one. No more.
Mine has a suede Lining that's rare. That's actually the first time I saw this.

Heljestrand/Kindal are made of Swedish stainless steel and not brass like the rest. They are the best lather catchers you can get.
They are beauties!

I've got this one, with only Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday blades...wondering if it was a 3 day set, or missing blades?
I think it's "new" as the strop has no scuffs, the razor and all parts are pristine, and the tissue paper instructions are like new.
I don't think I could let this go for $225... I'd rather keep it. $400+... there are still plenty of DE's I'd rather have!
20221129_012832.jpg

The slots are there. I would say it's missing blades. @Old School TSD You already have a fantastic and extensive Gillette collection. Which DE's are you looking for?

Does it have slots for four more blades? Sets with three blades I’ve seen so far are either numbered or blank so this is a strange combination
Yes. I received it this way, with the 3 blades evenly spaced. For sure this set could hold 7 blades. It's odd to me though that the 3 blades are every other day (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday). That's what makes me think it's a 3 day set. Else, every other blade was lost, in a set that's like new, if not new.
1669728955386673814692953372312.jpg

16697291434763211473333478219925.jpg

The slots are there. I would say it's missing blades. @Old School TSD You already have a fantastic and extensive Gillette collection. Which DE's are you looking for?
Well thank you :)
Top of the list is an Apollo Mikron. Top of the wish list is a Darwin.
Others I'd like: Gibbs no.17, Leresche no.77, Gillette Double ring without bent teeth or cracked handle (tall order!)

Well thank you :)
Top of the list is an Apollo Mikron. Top of the wish list is a Darwin.
Others I'd like: Gibbs no.17, Leresche no.77, Gillette Double ring without bent teeth or cracked handle (tall order!)
All European razors, give it a few months there will be more of them with reasonable prices. Europeans are suffering from high inflation, social unrest and a nasty recession.
Rumour has it that some geniuses in their governments cut off natural gaz and oil supplies from Russia and decided to buy it a 4 times the price from North America.
The UK already regime changed itself 3 times in the last 4 months. No need for CIA intervention, these big boys can do it themselves sparing us the trouble :kaputtlachen1

But seriously, I really hope their madness stops as this will hurt us badly everywhere in the world due to a snow ball effect. We're already seeing the effect in Canada and the US. corporations are getting richer with this distorted trade but not the people.

All European razors, give it a few months there will be more of them with reasonable prices. Europeans are suffering from high inflation, social unrest and a nasty recession.
Rumour has it that some geniuses in their governments cut off natural gaz and oil supplies from Russia and decided to buy it a 4 times the price from North America.
The UK already regime changed itself 3 times in the last 4 months. No need for CIA intervention, these big boys can do it themselves sparing us the trouble :kaputtlachen1

But seriously, I really hope their madness stops as this will hurt us badly everywhere in the world due to a snow ball effect. We're already seeing the effect in Canada and the US. corporations are getting richer with this distorted trade but not the people.
I just hope there's "10% for the big guy" lol!

I just hope there's "10% for the big guy" lol!
Well if he didn't get it, he will probably ask for it. I am telling you, these guys will doom us all. No one looks for the interest of his country. They're just looking after the interest of the donors.

Well if he didn't get it, he will probably ask for it. I am telling you, these guys will doom us all. No one looks for the interest of his country. They're just looking after the interest of the donors.
Thin ice here, and I certainly don't want to be political! In general I think they're all out for their own personal and family interests.
That said, what's the difference between politicians and flying pigs? The "F". :)

Back