ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Dilucot V Unicot Edge

chefdemarty

Firstly I would like to say a big big thank you to Gary & Ralfy for not only honing my razors so expertly but for all the support & advice they have freely given to me its greatly appreciated.

Dovo Envogue; Unicot Edge honed by Gary Haywood

I sent my razor to Gary who was originally was going to hone on a Norton 4k/8k for comparison purposes with a Coticule, but due to some initial problems with my razor having some chipping, which I hadn’t seen Gary decided to use the unicot method & employ a Coticlue stone. Although I was not familiar with this method I had heard of it in the past.
I received my Dovo back from Gary last week. The Razors edge looked amazing, clean even & incredibly sharp.
My first shave was no doubt one of the best shaves Thus far. On my first pass it was so smooth I thought it hadn’t shaved but boy it was so close.
I completed WTG, XTG & ATG & it left my face feeling as though a feather had been across it.
I had no irritation whatsoever. I am so impressed with this edge that I have sold my Norton & have ordered a Coticule from The Invisible Edge. I never got a satisfying edge on this razor prior to Gary honing it for me.

Dovo Bismark; Dilucot Edge Honed by Ralfy

Ralfy kindly offered to hone my Dovo Bismark so I could compare the Norton & Coticule, but as Gary had to use a coticule it was decided that we could compare Unicot & Dilucot methods instead.
My Bismark duly arrived back to me on Friday clean oiled & freshly stropped as well , what a gentleman you are Ralfy. Again I was really impressed with the edge & couldn’t wait to try it. I had my first shave with it on Saturday & as expected it gave a very smooth shave similar to the Unicot. The only noticeable difference was ATG stroke I felt the Unicot edge was smoother. The Dilucot edge still gave a very smooth glide across the skin & again no irritation at all & left my skin feeling like the rear end of a Mexican hairless Xoloitzcuintle.

One other thing I feel worth mentioning is that my wife noticed how close my shaves were on both occasions which says a lot about the improvement on there performances.

So now I have 2 excellent razors that I can use as a benchmark & shall be practising both methods over the coming weeks. I have also ordered a coti from Invisible edge. So thanks to these 2 kind gentleman I now know exactly where I need to be.
I will post some photos of the Coti when I get it.

I know I keep saying it but Thanks again Ralfy & Gary for your support & continued advice.

Marty

I'm glad it worked out for you. the reason i went to the coticule was, for some reason the middle of the edge just would not develope a nice straight cutting edge. I noticed the edge was chipping . I never had this problem before. even on the coticule i notice in the slurry like grains of sand. This was metal grains. thats when i realized this was defanatley metal. thats when i tryed setting the bevel on one layer of tape. the edge took shape , thank goodness, as i was paniking some what. i did a semi dilucot added another layer of tape. finishing with unicoting. I have to say the edge was one of my best and i was impressed how smooth the razor shaved. the razor was stainless steel and it shaved every bit as good as any carbon steel razors i have shaved with.

i can tell you now marty you will love your coticule. It will take some experimenting. a bit of practice etc. Looking forward to your post on how you get on with the coticule . you have both methods you can use unicot will be the easiest by far.

good luck gary

I used my larger leslalt to create the bevel on one layer of tape. that is rapid fast its nu 54 in the vault i think. My blotchy LPB is a small bout nu 6. Its about 6x 35 to 30 to 25 towards the end. I used that for the unicot part. So i finished on the lpb (blotchy).

gary

Thank you for the kind words Marty, you are very welcome indeed. :)

I too am sure you will love your Coticule, and of course if I can be of any further help, do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

Great story!
Thanks for sharing it, and congratulations to Gary and Ralfy, our Fabulous UK Coticule Masters! :)

Kind regards,
Bart.

tat2Ralfy said:
Bart said:
Great story!
Thanks for sharing it, and congratulations to Gary and Ralfy, our Fabulous UK Coticule Masters! :)

Kind regards,
Bart.

:blush:

Why the blushing smiley?
There is no shame in being a FUKC-master.:D

Back