ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Dulicot honing method by Bart?

BlueDun said:
Sigh ... Ralfy, I have to constitute that there's still a lot for you to learn!
But just hang in there. Listen to the honemeisters and keep practicing. You'll get there eventually!

glad I could help!
BlueDun

Words alone can not thank you enough my friend, with help and support from my fellow SHITCA members I will try my best :thumbup:
who knows one day I may even be able to produce an edge thats even smoother than a 4k Norton!! :p
regards
Ralfson (Dr)

BlueDun said:
Sigh ... Ralfy, I have to constitute that there's still a lot for you to learn!
But just hang in there. Listen to the honemeisters and keep practicing. You'll get there eventually!

glad I could help!
BlueDun

Words alone can not thank you enough my friend, with help and support from my fellow SHITCA members I will try my best :thumbup:
who knows one day I may even be able to produce an edge thats even smoother than a 4k Norton!! :p

Bart said:
:D :D :D
Bluedun. You deep and thorough understanding of sharpening razors is a true asset for SHITCA and all it subsidiaries. But you're wrong about the Camel hide. It is donkey foreskin that you need to get a properly equalized dullness along the entire edge. But I understand your blinding love for Camels. I used to smoke them too.

;)
Bart.

You see even with my limited 109yrs experience and huge data base containing over 217 types of hones stones straps and strops, from antique Unobtainium Rabbi Hones, to 21st century Narniwarien 76k spray application teflon abrasive lubes.
I know your both wrong, with the greatest respects anyone who ever even read a gillette adverts knows that its polar bear scrotum that is used on all the best Dullers.

Respectful regards
Ralfson (Dr)

BeBerlin said:
C|N>K

Right. A couple of observations, if I may.

1. [li]Sham, if you can't even get the name of the method you are trying to discredit here right, why bother at all?[/li]
    doesn't matter correct or wrong name everyone knows what we are talking about .Of course except if you are retarded will have some difficulty
    [li]Sham, in your opening statement, you indirectly accuse Bart of financially profiting from Coticules (unless I failed to interpret "You don't have any business interest etc." incorrectly (which may well be the case, what with more than 50% of your writings being unintelligible to me based on your language difficulties).
    Be Berlin i said what i thought and what my conversation was with Ray.Now if you think something else that is your problem.
    Bart kindly overlooked this, but I would like to point out that you are pushing dozens of razors out into the market,
    Are you sick? what razors are you talking about ? we have talking about stones? not razor.
    not least based on the fact that you keep banging on about your honing skills.
    Show me where i have said i am a good honer etc
    This thread for me clearly shows that your self image and my assessment of your honing knowledge vary. Wildly. Which puts your commercial efforts into an entirely new light - in my very humble, and personal, opinion.[/li]
    In fact you don't have opinion . You are person without Personality
    why don't you go back to what you do best, ie sell razors and let the members of this board do what they do best, ie hone razors.
    what i do shouldn't be your business at all. i never brought your name to conversation and i don't think you are MAN enough to have any conversation with.
    Lastly i have a lot more respect to Bart . he has his own opinions unfortunately you DON'T
    Thank you.

Robin

1. Bart Sorry i never invited him. i am sure you didn't ether. he likes put his nose where it doesn't fit.

Druzhba, Sham,
hi_bud_gl said:
i don't think you are MAN enough to have any conversation with.
You do realise the fallacy of this statement, I believe? Stellar stuff, nothing lightens the mood in a heated conversation like a bit of humour.
hi_bud_gl said:
Bart Sorry i never invited him. i am sure you didn't ether. he likes put his nose where it doesn't fit.
What a fascinating injecture. However, this isn't your Politicheskoye Byuro. Everybody is free to join and engage in gentlemanly conversation. I can see how this is a problem for you, but please do not make it a problem for this forum.

Now, can we get back on topic and discuss honing razors, please?

Thank you,
Robin

Hmm...

This is not heading in a good direction. To all involved please check at the Rules of conduct, read more button.
Allow me to quote a phrase: "Please behave politely and keep an open mind. If you feel the need to debate, make sure to stay on topic: no name calling or character assaults will be allowed."

As the moderator of this forum, I have no sympathies. I can't be bothered with "who started what" discussions.

Now let's try to get this back on tracks. I'm going to strop this discussion down to the bare essentials, without all the character collisions and without all the speculations about the motivations for having a different appreciation of Coticules.

He goes. If I understand Sham correctly, he claims that most Coticules do not leave a fine enough edge for shaving. He claims that about 3 on every 135 Coticules will be able to deliver an edge on par with more worthy finishing hones. That's about 2% of the vintage Coticules on the market. (Sham said he never purchase on of Ardennes, so I assume that he mainly collects vintage ones).

Up to a point, I agree with him. If you are honing on a milk-like slurry till the edge maxes out and next replace the slurry with water for a number of finishing laps, the majority of Coticules will not deliver a pull-free shave.

So far we're fine. I do not quite agree with his thought on "barber-quality" hones, because the hones that used to be sold in the higher price regions, display exactly the same behavior. But let's leave that discussion for what it is, at least for now.

The big disagreement is, that I claim to know certain techniques that will put Coticules right in the ball park of the finest hones out there, and that only by applying those techniques you can experience the true brilliance of Coticule smoothness.
As far as I'm aware, Sham is not convinced of the validity of those techniques. That's were the ongoing discussion originates.

So far my objective assessment of the disagreement.

Now a few final thoughts.

Most of you guys know that I rely on the HHT, straight off the Coticule, to know when I'm done honing. (Please take note that I'm only making this statement as far as honing on a Coticule is concerned) The last few 100's of razors that I honed till that level on a Coticule, all shaved me very well. Everytime I dismissed the HHT and tried shaving anyway, the shave was not as good. Anyone can say about the HHT what they want (and I'm even sure it doesn't always work that way on other types of hone), but those are pretty objective results that can be copied others.
So Sham, heres a challenge for you. Try honing a razor on a Coticule till it pops a hair, straight off the Coticule, before stropping, at a minimum distance of 10mm of the holding point. Next, strop the razor very well and perform a test shave. If you still don't like the shave, that's your good right. I'm even prepared to believe that you're not the only one. There are guys who love an edge stropped on 0.25 micron diamond paste, while I find such an edge horrible. So it's possible, and it doesn't bother me at all if someone doesn't like a Coticule edge. That is why we have a free honing service. People can send a razor and Ray or myself hone it on a Coticule. The razors haven't touch anything else. It is my understanding that a lot of people like these edges a lot, and the only reason why this websites exists is to share the techniques that lead to such edges.

It is very weird for me to experience how that appalls to certain people. I believe it is the reason why I am no longer welcome on StraightRazorPlace. (I know you are not involved in that decision Sham).

Kind regards,
Bart.

Well for what its worth I have 2 coticules and have owned 1 other, and out of the 3 they all gave wonderful shaves when used correctly, I have honed razors for others on these stones and they have liked the shaves too, and I have shaved with razors that other people have honed on different coticules and had good shaves as a result, so lets speculate that between myself and the people that have honed razors that I have tried, we had a "Good" shave result from oh 100% of the different coticules involved.
Coticules were not THE stone to hone razors on for many many years before manmades came around for nothing, do you honestly think that in the old days people shaved with badly honed blades?

Just the way I see it Chaps

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Bart said:
Hmm...

He claims that about 3 on every 135 Coticules will be able to deliver an edge on par with more worthy finishing hones. That's about 2% of the vintage Coticules on the market.

I said above is my experience. i didn't say 2 % of them are good. I do buy old stones that is right.(Sham said he never purchase on of Ardennes, so I assume that he mainly collects vintage ones). This is correct too.

So far we're fine. I do not quite agree with his thought on "barber-quality" hones, because the hones that used to be sold in the higher price regions, display exactly the same behavior. But let's leave that discussion for what it is, at least for now.[/quote]
We disagree in here.

The big disagreement is, that I claim to know certain techniques that will put Coticules right in the ball park of the finest hones out there, and that only by applying those techniques you can experience the true brilliance of Coticule smoothness.
As far as I'm aware, Sham is not convinced of the validity of those techniques. That's were the ongoing discussion originates.
Agree with you. That is what i think. i think if (example) you take low quality coticule and try yourself your own technique . you or me doesn't matter who will try it out will not get the results you are describing.
I like to add . i am not sure how you are getting your coticules. Someone chooses for you or gives to you the best ones or you just pick up and sort them out.I have no idea.

Kind regards,
Bart.[/quote]

That is all. hope this clear things between us.

The hones in the Vault are chosen by myself from what's present at Ardennes' stock, when I pay them a visit every few months.
I specially pick the hones to cover the widest possible range. When I see one that comes from a layer I haven't tested yet, or one that looks "different" than what I've already seen or tests, you can be sure that I will ask Maurice if it's alright to take it with me.

Both the Unicot and Dilucot techniques have been successfully tried on all hones of the Vault so far, with three exceptions: N°27 is a very weird looking Coticule, with all lost of pink spikes and a few orange ones. I insisted on testing it. The orange dots turned out to cause damage to the edges. I took it back and informed the guys at Ardennes. If I ever spot one with the same pink specks, but without the orange ones, I'll try again.
Then we have n°42 and 43. Both of the "La Veine aux Clous" layer. Very soft and also very slow. They both deliver an excellent finish (need to used under a running tap). The bevels look shinier than normal, but the edges fell just great. They can't be used to do any serious bevel correction, because they're way too slow. Maurice warned me up front about that.

All other hones in the Vault have successfully passed the methods laid out in the Coticule Sharpening Academy. I've tried more than only these, including a number of vintage ones, and have not experienced any special problems.

It's really not that hard to do, one a steady honing stroke is mastered. And we all know that a steady honing stroke is a condition sine qua non for all razor sharpening, regardless the hones used. The problem with natural stones, is that a starter may blame the hone, when his technique fails. And now, with this thread in the open, they may blame the chosen procedure as well. :D

Kind regards,
Bart.

Ok first I am not being funny here so with respect and humbly, I have to ask if Sham can only see the posts placed here by Bart and the 1 by Robin, because so far I see you only respond to those 2 posters?
Or perhaps you feel that these 2 are the only people who's opinion are worth addressing?

Respectful Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
Ok first I am not being funny here so with respect and humbly, I have to ask if Sham can only see the posts placed here by Bart and the 1 by Robin, because so far I see you only respond to those 2 posters?
Or perhaps you feel that these 2 are the only people who's opinion are worth addressing?

Respectful Regards
Ralfson (Dr)
Good observation.
This is why i have answered to Bart.
Method has been created by Bart and i have some disagreement with it. We do know each over very well. I know there is no one else will understand or have knowledge about coticule as same as Bart.
Now I did address question directly to Bart . I need his explanation to understand myself what is going on.
example. what am i doing wrong ,etc
The reason i answered To Robin (at his first post i didn't answer) in second one he was out of line and rude .
My conversation was with Bart to find out solution to the problem i am having it. Why he gets that results i don't?
Now i think i understand where is the problem.
I don't choose coticules or test them i buy them then test them. That is why coticules which i have tested will not be same as Bart had or used or uses.
This is 1 st part.
Let me tell couple word about this side.
Bart you can check this make sure i am saying truth.
i have never been in this side before. i tried to get membership and was unable to do so. that is why i asked (at first i thought my ip has been banned)and Barts respond was no one has been banned from the side. Problem was resolved and i did get membership and asked my questions which i wanted to ask Bart.
I never knew there is a The Coticule Vault place where you can buy coticule in this forum.i never checked the side.
I never had any intention to make coticule Bad stone or say it is not worth etc.
I always said there is good coticules out there but very hard to find it. took me 8 years to get 3 of them.
I hope you understand my true intention . Again To me doesn't matter what Bart does or not . all my conversation was about the method done by Bart and i was asking question about it.
I still don't get the result what i am looking for. i will do more test and see what happens.
This is all.
i hope this will answer to your question why i wasn't answered rest of the messages.GL

While it's true that none of us have the knowledge or experience that Bart has specific to Coticules (it's unlikely that many people on the planet, short of the fine people at Ardennes, has experimented with them as much as he has), it's also silly to not talk to anyone except him about questions. We all learned from him and are having success. Sometimes my way of explaining something may make more sense than another's (even though he may be more knowledgeable on the subject).

The supercilious nature of that attitude is very off-putting.

To be honest, I have always wondered how natural hones such as a coticules could all deliver good results. When I bought my first coticule a Barbers' special it took me a while to learn how to use it well. Once I did, it delivered great results. I sold that one and bought another coticule (vintage) and I had to lap through a quartz inclusion, but it works just as well as the other.

I have found that if Bart says they all (mostly) can work well, then I believe him. Some coticules take practice to learn how to use them well. If you have little prior experience with them then expect to take longer.

You bring up a key point: everyone has to learn the characteristics of his own stone & how it behaves to really get it to work.
Bart's guidelines are just that--they still must be extrapolated to your hone. How much water to add, how many halfstrokes to do per side, the amount of slurry dulling present, etc. I'm now consistently getting great results off my L1, but it wasn't always like that--took me weeks to figure out where I was messing up the dilutions (not adding enough water & washing it away too soon, in this case), but now...:thumbup: These edges I'm getting are every bit as sharp as the edges off my Nakayama (& noticeably smoother, I might add).

OT, but it's a shame that my last sentence would be branded as heresy on other shaving forums. (Note, that comment is not aimed at anyone specific; just a general widespread rigid adherence to dogma/hype.) My personal theory as to why that is is that coticules can be quite hard to max out, sharpness-wise compared to other stones (natural & synthetic). That & they're readily available reduces the hype factor. It's human nature to believe that the rarer, more expensive thing must work better than the cheaper, more available thing. And by extension, the more people pay for something the less inclined they are to doubt its authenticity/usefulness, etc.

And then we have people trying to make a killing on Ebay/classifieds--4x2 Old Rock coticules (not that much different from what we get today) selling for $400+ would be a good example...:thumbdown:

PA23-250 said:
You bring up a key point: everyone has to learn the characteristics of his own stone & how it behaves to really get it to work.
Bart's guidelines are just that--they still must be extrapolated to your hone. How much water to add, how many halfstrokes to do per side, the amount of slurry dulling present, etc. I'm now consistently getting great results off my L1, but it wasn't always like that--took me weeks to figure out where I was messing up the dilutions (not adding enough water & washing it away too soon, in this case), but now...:thumbup: These edges I'm getting are every bit as sharp as the edges off my Nakayama (& noticeably smoother, I might add).

OT, but it's a shame that my last sentence would be branded as heresy on other shaving forums. (Note, that comment is not aimed at anyone specific; just a general widespread rigid adherence to dogma/hype.) My personal theory as to why that is is that coticules can be quite hard to max out, sharpness-wise compared to other stones (natural & synthetic). That & they're readily available reduces the hype factor. It's human nature to believe that the rarer, more expensive thing must work better than the cheaper, more available thing. And by extension, the more people pay for something the less inclined they are to doubt its authenticity/usefulness, etc.

And then we have people trying to make a killing on Ebay/classifieds--4x2 Old Rock coticules (not that much different from what we get today) selling for $400+ would be a good example
...:thumbdown:

I couldn't have said it better my self

Me neither. :)

Great post, Erik.

I believe you made some keen observations.
I'm also thrilled to learn that you and L#1 are getting along well. :)

Kind regards,
Bart.

Perfect Erik :thumbup:

I said a while ago that working with a coticule its fair to say that if you lack results, its because you have not learnt how to get the best from your stone.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Above reaction is expected. In fact i am a little surprise why not more people against me.
Most of you think i hate Bart etc. In fact i never hated Bart . I do have opinion differences and i will say the truth what i think .
Bart this is what i have done last 2 days.
I have tested 3 best coticules which i have used 8 straight razor to sharpen.
This is the pictures of the stones i hope it will upload.
different view of the stones back side of the stones
photostream

Now what i did.
from left to right.
Stone Natural combo Belgian Coticule. very very fast cutter.
I decide try this first.
Pick up Ti razor and set the bevel with 1 k Norton.
Then moved straight to the coticule.
with a good slurry i made 200 strokes. stone was getting dirty right away i constantly have to add some water. this stone is so fast cutter which even after every 5-10 strokes i ended up adding more water.
checked the edge wasn't sharp enough. cuts arm hair with some force.
stated doing again 300 strokes just with water slurry was forming right away . now edge was getting sharper.
after 500 strokes i did make good slurry and start to dilute every 3 strokes made another 200 strokes. edge was sharp . start to popping hairs easily.
Now i was getting frustrated . i count how much time i have spend on this stone was making me crazy. But i never give up not my nature.
then switch my place to metal sing and start to sharpen clean under running water.did 100 laps check the edge. sharp but not shave ready or i will try to shave with it.
at the moment i was really thinking stop it. But decide i will do more laps on just running water.
End up doing 300 more. Edge was same. doesn't seems like i am doing anything to the razor.
Test the edge same quality.more then 1000 laps and blade is not shave ready?
took brake time didn't have any more patience to go.
come back and decide this is enough.
Switch to next stone. In picture second Salm stone.
Stone is natural belgian Combo.
used same razot TI and made slurry .
50 strokes and feel a lot sharper edge.Try to test arm hair was cutting without trouble. Again made slurry and made 50 more strokes. check the edge again. Blade was getting almost where i wanted.
added 50 more strokes and now i got want i need. edge was shave ready. checked under the microscope very nice edge.
Now i did made 1300 strokes and my razor was in satisfactory condition.
I had 7 more razors to go but lost so much time on first test thought will change strategy.
I knew already what i have in my first stone and need to make sure how good is second one.
took next blade to the 1k.3k, 4/8k norton spend less then 10 minutes. then move to my second coticule.
Again didn't take me long to see edge is getting better. made no more then 150 strokes. edge was satisfactory condition.
This was my second blade and on this test i spend almost 25 mnutes . was happy.
3 rd blade i used only Japanese stone until 10k and move to 2 coticule. edge did get slightly improvement.
i never spend more then 10 minutes on second socitule. edge was getting fine. Diluting untill i get clear water didn't add much to the edge. it just smooth the bevel .Edge was similar condition.
Last coticule i have tested long time ago and did test 1 more razor.
i knew this stone is very very slow cutter but fine stone.
made blade shave ready on norton and then move to 3 coticule. made 500 strokes . Edge comes close to Escher edge.
I stop test in here and this is my conclusion.
To me doesn't matter you could be agree or disagree with me. You could hate me or so on.
This test prove to me. there is different quality coticules out there.
if you can get cotiucle similar to 2 picture you are lucky and you will enjoy using it.
if you will get low quality coticule Sorry to say you will struggle and Blame yourself.
Adding water didn't help me. first coitucle never able to make blade shave ready although i spend most of the time on it.
Second coticule has no problem with slurry of without slurry edge was getting fine and in less strokes.
third one is a slower then chinese 12k.
if i try use that coticule to set bevel it will take months to get there.
Now You could think i don't know how to use hones, how to hone or i have no idea what i am talking about it. This is all my personal experience.
You guys may be the one of the lucky people out there just getting better coticules and have no problem
it may be. i don't know.
Bart i appreciate giving me chance to tell my opinion( haven't get banned yet) and don't think if i have a different opinion then you This is because i hate you or i want to hurt your side etc.I am not that type person and won't be never.
If any of you want to know how properly honed blade should act i can sharpen 1 blade for you without charge etc. This may give to you idea how properly honed blade should shave. I respect everyone's opinion. As long as they are honest opinions.

In my test could be bias yes? it is because i have tested only 3 coticule. to get more fair opinion i think person should test at least 50 coticules then will be fair.
Good luck and enjoy.

Should say this too. you could find bad English grammar or words etc on my writing and please don't raise flag and be proud of yourself.It is obvious English isn't my native language.

Edit this is the picture location you can see in there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50160566@N05/4607244482/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50160566@N05/4606629927/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50160566@N05/4606630071/in/photostream/

So why did you not just unicot 1 razor, starting with half strokes?, I have 3 coticules and I go from dulling the edge of a shave ready razor on a glass, to shaving with it inside of 15 mins on all 3.

And Sham I am sure no one here hates you, and as for the language I would not worry if I were you, English is my first language and I am still not great at it after 43 yrs ..lol

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
So why did you not just unicot 1 razor, starting with half strokes?, I have 3 coticules and I go from dulling the edge of a shave ready razor on a glass, to shaving with it inside of 15 mins on all 3.

And Sham I am sure no one here hates you, and as for the language I would not worry if I were you, English is my first language and I am still not great at it after 43 yrs ..lol

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)
Ralfson do you know why anybody need unicot method?

If your blade has not been tempered right that will push you to go unicot or doublecot or thriplecot(if you guys like to call it this way)

That is the true reason. if you have quality blade you don't need any of above.
(now some one can argue adding tape makes edge sharper etc . in fact it doesn't . what happens is this. by adding layer of tape angle changes and while you shave with that blade noise is coming out of the blade different then regular honed blade. You think your blade sharper now. in reality your are in illusion .Sharpness of the edge doesn't change)

Simple way to say.
1 You use unicot
2 you use 2 layer of tape
3 you use 3 layers of tape.
by adding more tape in your theory you will have more sharper edge?
(i understand this is not your theory)
Does this makes sense to You?
will this happen?
if yes my question why every single person doesn't hone by putting 5 layers of electric tape?
i hope i am clear now.
hope this helps.

Sigh...
No I say unicot because it an easy way for people who struggle with a coticule to get great result, the small bevel it creates is easier to work with.
I dilocut everytime
and adding layers of tape can mess with the bevel angle and result in bad edge
OK?

Back