ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Eschers, Thuringinans, need advice.

mrmaroon

I have found a website that sells thuringians and eschers. How would these compare to a coticule? I know the Eschers they sell arent true eschers, but what are the grit comparisons of each? Can they be used with a slurry to the same effect as a coticule?

http://www.timbertools.com/Products/Escher-sharpening-stones.html

Sorry I know nothing of the Eschers or Thuringtons but they do look ok. Did you click the link to the Coti page? some good and bad points there, I see the dont mention slurry stones for coti or bbw at all? and see that video of the Ardennes Quarry, I swear I saw Sir Bart lurking in the background!! hahaha

I researched timbertools some more and everyone at SRP says stay away. I guess the guy that owns it lies about quality/authenticity.

I would seriously doubt that these are truly escher's. True Eschers and Thuringtons have a proof seal on the back side to indicate their true authenticity. I doubt that these have that. This is sort of like the razors that say solingen and are made in Pakistan.

Besides that, Eschers are only use for a final finish and nothing more. I would personally stay clear of these. I do have an Escher and a Thurington in my arsonal of stones.

Ray

You see, here is where I get confused...
Is "Escher" a brand name? or is it the name of the stone.
Have a look this photo... the well known name S.R.Droescher of SRD... (notice the "...escher" in the name Droescher)
SRDroescher.jpg

Now, I have also seen stones with only the name "Escher" and not the Droescher on the label.

But has anyone seen S.R.Drocoticule?

I've seen plenty of Droolicules. :D

I don't know much about Thuringian hones, but I believe Esher is just the name of a famous mining company.
Something like "Old Rock" in the Coticule landscape.

Kind regards,
Bart.

FWIW, I recently got the chance to test 2 Thuringian-type hones on loan from my barber. Sharpness was pretty close to what I can get out of a coticule (not much difference, really), but the coticule edge was a bit smoother. (Escher was used w/ water only; not sure when to use slurry on these.) Not a great deal, but I felt the difference.

I used the Escher after coming off the Norton & then retested w/ a coticule edge doing the same thing to rule out inconsistencies. I know some guys swear by them, but I sort of wondered what the fuss was about...;)

I posted this "heresy" on another shaving forum--apparently everybody "knows" that coticules are not as sharp as Eschers. Hasn't been my experience. OT, but I think the main problem people have w/ this "coticule dullness" is they don't use enough strokes for it to finish the job! There, I said it. :)

I'd also stay away from TimberTools. No idea what those things really are.

PA23-250 said:
FWIW, I recently got the chance to test 2 Thuringian-type hones on loan from my barber. Sharpness was pretty close to what I can get out of a coticule (not much difference, really), but the coticule edge was a bit smoother. (Escher was used w/ water only; not sure when to use slurry on these.) Not a great deal, but I felt the difference.

I used the Escher after coming off the Norton & then retested w/ a coticule edge doing the same thing to rule out inconsistencies. I know some guys swear by them, but I sort of wondered what the fuss was about...;)

I posted this "heresy" on another shaving forum--apparently everybody "knows" that coticules are not as sharp as Eschers. Hasn't been my experience. OT, but I think the main problem people have w/ this "coticule dullness" is they don't use enough strokes for it to finish the job! There, I said it. :)

I am glad someone else is saying it. :)
There is no doubt in my mind that, would all Coticule mines be closed and Escher still in business, we would see exactly the opposite of what we see now. Both in prices these hones fetch on Ebay and in the reputation to which one gives "the sharpest edge".

I will repeat time and time again, that hones are far to often put into some sort of direct competition. That is wrong, in my opinion. The edge is far more in the hands that hold the hone, than it is in the hone itself.

I'm sure Eshers in particular and Thuringians in general are up to their task. We're talking about two sides of a steel bevel meeting each other at the cleanest line. How much difference can there be? Once an onion is chopped, can anyone tell it was chopped with a chef's knife or with a smaller paring knife?

Bart.

Back