ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Excessive?

bluemantra

I was just wondering if it was excessive to touch up a razor on my coticule on water only once a week. It's not removing too much metal right?

Just checking, did you find a thread that explained it was very ok to do that? we ran some tests and found it was fine to touch up on water once every 7 shaves, 30 laps or a few more wont do any harm at all

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I would like to confirm that. I have been shaving with one razor for 35 days in a row now. It had the vintage factory edge when I bought it, and I just set a secondary bevel. Absolutely no problems with it so far. I think that is a nice way of maintaining a razor, as it is consistent and reproducible (unlike pliable media like pasted or sprayed hanging strops), and does not take much time, either.

Just for the record, it is one of the dreaded "they take forever to hone" / "I have had very mixed results" / "those little suckers are freakin' hard" (they're not - quite the contrary, actually) Friodurs. I have said it before, and I shall say it again: these razors are vastly underrated, and because they are not rare at all, can be had for extremely reasonable money (ie 50-80 USD in good or better condition) if you bring a little patience. Anything above 120 USD is either one of the few collectors' items, or a rip-off.

tat2Ralfy said:
Just checking, did you find a thread that explained it was very ok to do that? we ran some tests and found it was fine to touch up on water once every 7 shaves, 30 laps or a few more wont do any harm at all

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Which reminds me that we should conclude that experiment and publish the article.:)

Kind regards,
Bart.

decraew said:
BeBerlin said:
... Friodurs... Anything above 120 USD is either one of the few collectors' items, or a rip-off.

So, in what category would you put this one ?

warning_us_marines.jpg

Do not provoke! :rolleyes: :D :D

The wonderful thing about these scales is that you can tear them off, burn them, and replace them with something that does not violate the Geneva convention. The razor itself is reasonably rare - took me two years to get one in decent condition (yo, Bart, how's it looking?).

And I think I have actually found an image of the scale maker.

Unihorney.jpg

I found that a touch up on water only once a week or every 6 to 7 shaves will help maintain the razors edge for quite sometime without the need to go back further in the honing process and is also more advantageous than using pastes for this very same task.

My other question is, for those who have nice vintage razors or razors that they want to have forever and hone without using tape, how much metal is removed during the honing process and on touch ups. I set a bevel on a DMT 600/1200 and went to the dilucot method with a milky slurry yesterday. On the DMT I wasn't using very much pressure at all, but it didn't feel like it was removing gobs of metal. Same for my coticule, the slurry never got dark dark grey and I was using quite a bit of pressure, again it didn't feel like I was removing very much metal. I have 4 Filarmonica's all NOS and a LeGrelot and some other razors I consider my pride and joys. I was nervous about honing them, messing up, honing again, and removing an excessive amount of metal and effectively aging the razor prematurely. I'm just looking for some thoughts here. My instinct tells me a razor will last as long a coticule, decades, generations, a lifetime, etc.. Any truth in that thinking?

Well, what is the alternative? Abrasive pastes or sprays. Why are they called "abrasive"? Because they remove metal. How else could they sharpen an edge?

The real question is, how many shaves can you get out of either method before the razor needs to be fully honed again. Because this is where the real damage is done. Using a pliable medium (strop, rubber) for the abrasive, the edge will become rounded. Using a hone, this will not happen. I should think that should lead to longer periods between full honings.

Is honings a word?

BeBerlin said:
Is honings a word?
Who cares?

Your explanation is spot on. But even with a touching-up-regime (how's that for a word?) on solid hones, the edge will still accumulate damage over time and eventually requires something more powerful than a mere touchup.

Kind regards,
Bart

PS. I always fancied unicorn horn for a scale material...:D

Bart said:
BeBerlin said:
Is honings a word?
Who cares?
I do. Although Schärfvorgänge sounds a lot more sensible.
Bart said:
Your explanation is spot on. But even with a touching-up-regime (how's that for a word?) on solid hones, the edge will still accumulate damage over time and eventually requires something more powerful than a mere touchup.
What I said. But that still makes in-between sharpening with a hone more efficient than with a pasted strop or similar.
Bart said:
PS. I always fancied unicorn horn feir for a scale material...:D
Be careful what you wish for...

And a nice unicorn foreskin pouch to carry it in. Robin, there is a side to you that is very scary, indeed. I hope you had to search at least a little while for that picture.

Your prudish (compared to that freak) pal, Denny

That was actually quite simple: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=furfaggotry+site%3Aencyclopediadramatica.com - an ED can be quite entertaining, but it is 100% NSFW.

"Honings" is a perfectly valid construction. Or, as my linguist friends would say, "It's perfectly cromulent." English has a wonderful capacity for forming words that don't span half a line.

bluemantra: Follow Ralfy's advice, adjusting as needed for the hone in question. For example, on the La Grise you mentioned having, you may want to try more strokes, perhaps 50-60, if 30 doesn't seem to have an effect. This will avoid the need for a "power touchup" for quite some time. Just don't do 10 strokes only. Ralfy tried that and failed miserably. :D

Robin: I didn't know you were into furries. :rolleyes:

That is actually the CEO of the North American Custom Scale Makers society during a brain storming session.

North American as in Canadian? Must be what you mean. I thought it was just another Octoberfest participant.:p

Back