ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Fasan

gvw755

When I got to this DE section to add to the Fasan thread, I was surprised to see that one was not started yet. So I guess I will once again chum the water to get big fish @efsk to show up. I just took delivery of what was described as a Fasan 170. I have no idea if that is really what it is or if there really was a model 170. This particular model had a metal cap and handle with a bakelite base. The handle is the tapered and angular variety. It is one of the earlier models which the PAA cloned a while back (not the newer glow in the dark one).

DSC03563.JPG

DSC03561.JPG

DSC03562.JPG

First shave was tonight and I was surprised how smooth and efficient the shave was. I remember the PAA bakelite version to be a medium rough shaver and so this was quite a change from that. It could be that this razor had more weight to it because of the metal parts. Tomorrow I will compare both razors in a shave off to see if my memory was wrong.

I was a bit in doubt wether or not to open a new, Kingshead, thread, however this Weyersberg brand contains a Fasan-branded razor: a N°122.
DSC05557.JPG
DSC05558.JPG
DSC05559.JPG
DSC05560.JPG

Fasen had a whole schema worked out to optimize blade duration, where you used the numbers 1-4 on the blade in combination with the dot to keep track of usage. You’d start with 1 on the dot, next day have 4 on the dot, etc. I do not believe the dot signifies differential aggression.

Acquired a couple of 1940s bills Osberghaus sent to a Fasan-dealership. Interesting to see what we can learn from type-numbering, prices nad the apparent popularity of Fasan in the city of Weimar.
Also, 1½year into WW2, Osberghaus apparently had a shortage of personnel.
Osberghaus-Factuur-1.jpg
Osberghaus-Factuur-2.jpg
Osberghaus-Factuur-3.jpg

I would like to add these fasans to the thread. The models are already presented here, but the cases are not. The all metal one looks brand new. The other is a little bit discoloures, but that doesn't affect the shaving. I also have the impression that the fasans shave smoother then the paa oc.

PICT_20220106_103522.JPG
PICT_20220106_103225.JPG
PICT_20220106_103038.JPG
PICT_20220106_103011.JPG

So, how did you guys get the numbers of the Fasans, is there a catalogue or something?
Is there a logic behind the numbers. I am still ignorant about European razors.

Reactions: ehv
It says so on the shipper :)
@Jake has shown a catalogue over at B&B once, that showed some models with cat#.
With the newer ones, double digits come in shipper only, triple digits means clamshell too.

Reactions: ehv
Rare und rather unique is this Fasan 42. Unique, as it's one of a very few 2-piece Fasan razors. The interesting part there is that handle and baseplate, the razorparts married together with 2-piece razors, are of different materials: baseplate is plastic, handle is metal. In a way, a metal handle in itself is noteworthy, as Fasan did not produce too many models that were not plastic.
Funny thing is: as much as I love lightweight plastic razors, this mostly metal Fasan shaves like a dream. Absolutely fabulous. Maybe not for every-day use, but still, a wonderful, rarely seen razor.
DSC05679.JPG
DSC05680.JPG
DSC05681.JPG
DSC05682.JPG
DSC05683.JPG
DSC05685.JPG
DSC05686.JPG
DSC05687.JPG

Yet another strange Fasan. This, too, metal with plastic baseplate, looks a lot like the above 42, yet has a plastic knob on the handle and is a 3-piece with a short screw.
DSC00387.JPG
DSC00388.JPG
DSC00389.JPG
DSC00390.JPG
DSC00391.JPG
DSC00392.JPG
DSC00393.JPG

Here's the oddest Fasan-oddity that I know of: the Fasan Rasiputz. This is a ladies-razor, with one straight and one curved/frowning side. It uses proprietary blades, and has an extra long handle to make it easier to shave your legs.
Funny thing is the insert is written from a mans perspective: the man gets angry when she uses his razor, obviously always after he just inserted a fresh blade. Attentäter im Badezimmer basically means Assassins in the bathroom: damn women ruining my razor! So here's the solution to that problem:
DSC08946.JPG
DSC08947.JPG
DSC08948.JPG
DSC08949.JPG
DSC08950.JPG
DSC08952.JPG
DSC08953.JPG
DSC08955.JPG
DSC08956.JPG
DSC08957.JPG
DSC08958.JPG
DSC08959.JPG