ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Finally! Dilucot Success.

wdwrx

I finally got , not just one, but two, great dilucot edges.
I took a bit of a break from honing, just because I was getting frustrated, but I decided to take my Edelweiss back to the coti again since that blade seems to take such an incredible edge.

True to form, I changed two things though, so I'm not sure which helped.
I'd started night before last with the Edelweiss, already sharpish, one rub of the slurry stone and diluted through, finished with about 100 laps with clear water, but it was still lacking something. (And I blew a lap on the strop which probably didn't help)

Last night, I took it back to the BBW side, heavy slurry, and about 40 laps between dilutions, for maybe 150 or 200 laps, over to the coti side with water, about 100 laps, and then I tried putting lather on the stone for about another 100 laps. (finally found a use for that stinky Williams soap)

The lather really, really seemed to help with keeping my strokes ever so light, which makes me think maybe I'm still being a little heavy-handed on the stone. It also helped to reduce the sensation of abrasivnes.

Then I did it all over again with my J. Haywood, and got an edge just as nice.

In a comparative shave, my edge is just a tiny bit less sharp than the edge Smythe put on my Focus Extra, but more than adequate for a very comfortable shave.

This is good; I was staring to worry I'd actually gotten one of the other 133 cotis:p

Cheers all! And enjoy your vacation!

-Chris

Dilution + Coticule = DiluCot.

Dulicot is something entirely different. Empirical evidence points to the fact that it only works if you are an Eschi expert.

Happy honing,
Robin

Danm dyslexia!

BTW Did you here the one where the dyslexic walks into a bra?

Or how about the devil worshipper who sold his soul to Santa?

Bwahahaha!!!:p

OK... I fixed 'em, just 'cuz I'm anal that way!

PS I'm really not dyslexic... just a poor spellere!

So am I. Just trying to protect the innocent. It's enough to have some Eschiphiliac's (sic!) doing the loose cannon thing elsewhere, let's keep this place nice, cosy, and free of prejudice.

:love:

If I know anything, it's that I know nothing!
gl

I have no idea what you're talking about:blink: :blink:

hahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

god, I gotta get outa here before I get in trouble! I gotta go to work!

wdwrx said:
If I know anything, it's that I know nothing!
gl

I have no idea what you're talking about:blink: :blink:

hahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

god, I gotta get outa here before I get in trouble! I gotta go to work!

Did you say you were going to work on a Gotta before going to work? Sounds like a great idea!

BeBerlin said:
So am I. Just trying to protect the innocent. It's enough to have some Eschiphiliac's (sic!) doing the loose cannon thing elsewhere, let's keep this place nice, cosy, and free of prejudice.

:love:

Hahahahahahaha

And Just to be anal Chris ahem:

A true dilucot is performed by taking a razor dulled over glass,not already pretty sharp
and 1 stone is used start to finish.

But who gives a shit! great work there Sir, long may your edges get keener, smoother,and easier my friend :thumbup:

And one last thing:

"the vessel with the pestle holds the pellet that is poison
the chalice with the palace holds the brew that is true"

Carry On.

My warmest and kindest,never one to stir the pot kinda regards
Ralfson (Dr)

No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

Sheesh! :p

Seriously though, I wonder what the implications of having to use lather are? Is it a crutch for poor technique? Might my stone be one of the 133 "other" stones, as in not quite razor quality? There exists the possibility that the stone was sold because it doesn't work that well.

The flip side may be that the stone is very very slow, and I'm not doing enough laps, and out-pacing the edge.
I guess the reason i think this may be possible is because even my unicot edges aren't all that sharp.

I think I'm just about ready to buy a different coti, and see if the results I get are different. Maybe then I could send this one out to a fellow member to evaluate.

Salutations,
-Chris

wdwrx said:
Seriously though, I wonder what the implications of having to use lather are? Is it a crutch for poor technique? Might my stone be one of the 133 "other" stones, as in not quite razor quality? There exists the possibility that the stone was sold because it doesn't work that well.

Never happen Chris, I have to say if you are finding Unicot hard then its most likely your technique I am afraid my friend.

If you send me the stone along with a razor, I will hone it for you and send them back fully assessed :thumbup:

Best wishes
Ralfy

If you send me the stone along with a razor, I will hone it for you and send them back fully assessed

Allright...thats it!! I cant take no more..Ralfy ,you are quite simply the kindest and most nougat hearted guy I`ve never met!

Torbs

Crap! Every now and again, my responses seem to just evaporate.....

I'll try again:

Thanks Ralfy, I'm never one to discount the possibility that it's all me. ("It's an operator issue" is one of my favorite lines)

I've only now gotten the razor I'm sending to Gary done up well enough to not embarrass myself. I'm not sure which razor to do up for you as I've given up on "The Electric City" since it may not be the best razor ever. Maybe one of my NOS Shapleighs when they come in.

I'd need another stone before i send this one away, otherwise what the hell would I do for entertainment? A comparative stone might not be a bad idea anyways.
Any suggestions in regards to a vein to request? My beard/skin type makes me think i want a very hard and slow stone to provide the maximum keenness.

Cordially yours,
-Chris

Chris I would go for a Le Vienette, easy to master all be it a slow finisher, and I would contact Rob at Ardennes directly, his english is spot on, and he will surely find what you need :thumbup:
The only problem I see is that I bought the last one they had in stock this week :scared: and I do not know how long it will take for them to have more ready?
Failing that I would go for a La Petite Blanche, I have one and its edges are just wonderful, to be fair every single coticule layer that Ardennes sell with give you a superbly sharp edge, if you take a browse through the vault you can see which layers display which properties, just dont choose one that is slow on slurry, and slow on water if you can help it, you may find it a little frustrating...lol

My vintage Barbers combo is slow both ways, and I ended up sending it to Gary to try for me, he sent it back with one of his DA's honed to perfection, we both learnt from it :thumbup:

Hope this helps?

Your Nougat hearted chum
Ralfson (Dr)

Alas not hahaha

and just so that those who don't know me properly understand:

I am a Man of balance,
I will give you my world if I consider you a friend :love:
If I consider you an enemy, or you hurt one that I care for.....
Think "Brick Top" from snatch :mad:

Bwhahaha hahaha Bwhahaha

tat2Ralfy said:
Chris I would go for a Le Vienette, easy to master all be it a slow finisher, and I would contact Rob at Ardennes directly, his english is spot on, and he will surely find what you need :thumbup:
The only problem I see is that I bought the last one they had in stock this week :scared: and I do not know how long it will take for them to have more ready?
Failing that I would go for a La Petite Blanche, I have one and its edges are just wonderful, to be fair every single coticule layer that Ardennes sell with give you a superbly sharp edge, if you take a browse through the vault you can see which layers display which properties, just dont choose one that is slow on slurry, and slow on water if you can help it, you may find it a little frustrating...lol

My vintage Barbers combo is slow both ways, and I ended up sending it to Gary to try for me, he sent it back with one of his DA's honed to perfection, we both learnt from it :thumbup:

Hope this helps?

what size did you order ?

Your Nougat hearted chum
Ralfson (Dr)

The only 1 Rob had was 200x50, after a bit of begging on my part he reluctantly agreed to trim it to 175 long :thumbup:
I cant wait!

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

Back