ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

First Dilucot with no. 16

StraightRazorDave

Hey all,

So today was the first chance (a lot going on lately during the holiday season!) I got to really use this new stone. First of all, it's a real looker. The surface is kind of creamy with gorgeous black lines running through it. It would never make the cut as a selected coticule, but I think it looks great.

Rob included a nice matching La Veinette combo slurry stone (I'm assuming it's also a La Veinette based on the thin light line in the bbw layer). So I took an already shave ready razor, a Crown Razor Co., and ran in gently across the edge of a glass. It wouldn't shave arm hair afterwards, but I'm sure the bevel wasn't that far off since it was set properly prior to the glass-dulling. I raised a fairly heavy slurry and did some diagonal back and forth strokes on each side, switching sides after every 10 strokes per side. The slurry turned gray quite quickly. I think I did around 50 strokes or so per side, and tested the edge on my arm hair. It was now cutting my arm hair. So I added a bit of water to the surface of the stone and started doing X-strokes.

I didn't count the number of strokes, I probably did more than was necessary but I was erring on the side of caution since this was my first time using this stone. It was probably every 30-50 strokes I added just a drop off water off my finger tip that I dipped in a glass of water. After many many strokes and drops of water added, I was pretty much down to plain water. I rinsed the stone off under the tap and washed off the razor to ensure no slurry residue, and did about 50 laps with clean water. I then stropped a bunch of times of the linen and then plain leather.

I've yet to shave with the razor as I've just honed it, but it was popping hairs very well, which fairly consistently indicates a sharp razor for my face.

I will report back with the progress of the shave (whether it be good or bad), but I thought I would let you know all know how my first honing on one of the stones from the coticule vault went!

It was honestly a pleasure to use this hone, it had a really nice feel to it while honing and I definitely noticed a real difference in feel as I went through the progression from slurry to clean water. It will take more practice, but I had no problem doing a few hundred laps on this stone. :thumbup:

Dave

Well done Dave :thumbup:
when doing Dilocut I dont count x strokes between adding water, I use the feel of the blade on the stone instead, its hard to describe but after doing it a few times you get a feel for when its ready, theres a thread here somewhere and an article in the sharpening academy about it.
Keep up the good work and Shave On!

ralfy the feeling i can feel is a draging feeling towards the end of the stroke which tells me the razor is sharp but its only when i finish on water i can manage to pass hht at level 3.

That's why I like the idea of using dilucot, it really depends on your hone and how well you know it. I remember reading that article about different types of feedback while honing on a coticule, but a lot seems to boil down to just getting to know your stone well and going by feel.

I honestly didn't know when the razor was sharp on this stone, hence why I played it safe and did a lot of laps. But I definitely did get feedback from the stone and it did change noticeable throughout the process, I just need to know how to interpret it!

Congrats man, like shaving, honing your own blades will only get better after your first success.
Please let us know how the shave goes... those C&S blades are killer shavers.

Well I actually ended up honing another razor with no.16 using the dilucot method. It was a full hollow Geneva razor. I went through the same procedure as I did with the Crown razor.

I just had my shower and shave.....drum roll....success!!! I was VERY pleased with the results! I nice smooth shave. :thumbup: I'm sure there might've been a little room for improvement as I'm not a coticule honemeister, but very comfortable and sharp results. So I'm estatic about how it went. :w00t: Even though I am new to using the dilucot method, I'm not new to honing and have been doing my own honing for over a year now. So I'm sure that helped me a lot as I have no problem with keeping a fast and consistent stroke, plus I've always honed holding the stone in my hand. Number 16 is a perfect fit for my hand, and is a nice length too. I kinda like it's odd shape also, gives it character.

Bart did say that this was a good beginning stone as it is fairly easy to reach good results with all available methods. Translation: it's a great stone!

I was thinking of giving these 2 razors a few strokes on my no.15 coticule from the vault, the La Grosse Blanche one, as it's supposed to be a super fine finisher. I want to see if it will improve the edge.

Man I f-ing love the coticule!!!

dave i think my second coti is a grosse as for finishing i hav'nt found much differance yet.

i've been using dilucot method i must of honed at least 100 times with the method and i always got a great shave somtimes felt could of been room for improvemant i just go back to extra laps on water or misty slurry then water again or add last stages of unicot method or a thew laps on issards or and cro.ox yet i have razors that take a fantastic edge straight away. I always find if i can wip my tash of with out slight resistants my razor is ultra sharp and if razors floats across my face then that is ultra smooth and this can be had with coticule but takes practice you will have to keep us posted how it goes.

garyhaywood said:
dave i think my second coti is a grosse as for finishing i hav'nt found much differance yet.

i've been using dilucot method i must of honed at least 100 times with the method and i always got a great shave somtimes felt could of been room for improvemant i just go back to extra laps on water or misty slurry then water again or add last stages of unicot method or a thew laps on issards or and cro.ox yet i have razors that take a fantastic edge straight away. I always find if i can wip my tash of with out slight resistants my razor is ultra sharp and if razors floats across my face then that is ultra smooth and this can be had with coticule but takes practice you will have to keep us posted how it goes.

Thanks Gary, I will indeed keep you guys posted. I actually gave both those razors 100 passes on my Nakayama last night, I want to see if that improves the shave at all. It's funny, because I do but I don't want there to be an improvement! I do because a smoother/better shave is always welcome, but I don't because I would like to think that my coticule can rival my Nakayama. :p (Bart can get as much out of a coti as a Nakayama, but I doubt I was able to with my limited experience). But hey, as long as I'm getting happy shaves with a natural stone it makes me happy. I know I'm hugely biased towards naturals but I love using a piece that naturally came from the Earth, you know what I mean?

Smythe said:
Nice...:thumbup:

Thanks. :) I only wish I had handfuls of razors to hone now....

Excellent, however you get there, honing your own razors to a comfortable shave is what counts, and you’ve done better than I did when I first tried, without breaking the bank or the frustrations of trying different hones for months on end. Finishing on another hone even if it get you a smother shave is quite OK, it’s gravy…

But wait, you’ve only just started, if you get RAD and start honing other razors and have to change your technique to get them sharp… then throw in the multitude of variables in each individual razor, then throw in the multitude of variables for hones (not to mention the variables in Coticules alone), then you end up like me… spend most of your days haunting eBay and antique stores, empty credit card, boxes full of razors and hones with no where to put them (“…Daddy… there’s a razor in the cookie jar”):scared:… and the worst part is, you sit on the train and see guys with poorly shaved faces and have the urge to introduce them to your favorite straight (Hey buddy!!! why you staring at me?):-/ .

But please keep us posted with your progress... the learning never ends

Smythe said:
and the worst part is, you sit on the train and see guys with poorly shaved faces and have the urge to introduce them to your favorite straight (Hey buddy!!! why you staring at me?):-/ .

I bet there's nothing like seeing a fancy businessman in a well tailored suit with neck irritation, and a 4 o clock shadow at 9 in the morning. :lol: All the businessman here wear your standard premade 'whatever brand name' suit, so I guess I shouldn't hold them to such high a standard. Sad thing is the businessman is kind of like a symbol of this whole on-the-fly-I-don't-have-the-time-to-shave thing.

Dave, let us know if the Nakayama improves anything. You can use it as a benchmark of sorts. I know my honing will be excellent when paste doesn't improve anything. And sorry to hear about #20, but it seems you've received a fine replacement. :thumbup:

Justin

the results will vary from razor to razor. i shave of razor honed by just coti with dilucot if i'm realy happy i will still add cro ox or issards pate and in those cases it is hard to tell the differance and yet in some cases the issards as transformed my razor this was on my TI i must of honed that razor 6 times and every time the issards pate just made it feel wow but i've not had the same results on other razors. I just honed two identical new flami from my turkish mate. i dulled them set bevel as usaul and this time i took a chance and just honed on slurry until my blade started to drag towards the end of my stroke then i added water just a couple of drps and carried on untill the drag ing sensation you can feel it if you slow your stroke right down and use light pressure the edge will grip the stone as the slurry got realy thin and i felt slight sensation i realy diluted did about 50 laps then rinsed and did 50 laps on tap water checked hht which on both razors was easily 3 i then did 50 more on clean water nice and light and i could only just feel sensation of drag as it was water. i then stropped and these two razors were passing hht a piece of piss now i still think thats because both these razorsmust take an edge well. I just shaved with both of them on each side and they both shaved exallant glided through stubble like butter well nearly! I think you have to seriously keep working with your coticule and you will notice somthing new each time this is what keeps me going trying your other hones for improvemant will just give you mixed feelings i have my crox and issards and i will use these for fine tuning if need be. As i have had razor honed by bart i no how good the coticule edge can be and ever since i have chased that edge. A year a go if you told me there is no way you can pass hht of coticule i would of believed you. Not now i can pass hht of coticule every time from a 3 to 5 and get a shave with no pulling what so ever a year ago i could not get a shave of coti with out some kind of resistants thats all changed now thanxs to barts research.

I just finished honing my great grand dad's razor (my uncle thought I would like it so he gave it to me for christmas) using the unicot. THe blade has some tarnish on it, but it's not popping hair pretty well. I hope it shaves well!! I'm amaze how bullet proof that technique is. How many people can say that they shave with their great grand dad's razor from the late 1800s.

Super result well done :thumbup:

I just used the dilocut on my Gong 6/8 hollow and have to say it was a sweet experience, I can now get hht3 straight off the slurry! hht 4 off water and a 5 on a good day off the strop. I love the shaves and progress I have made with my beloved #10

Keep at it, it just gets better and better :thumbup:

Oh yeah I just counted my rotation and I have 14 shave ready razors, from a new this year Dovo best, to an early 1800's antique 8/8 W&B wedge. who said anything about RAD........lol

justin said:
I bet there's nothing like seeing a fancy businessman in a well tailored suit with neck irritation, and a 4 o clock shadow at 9 in the morning. :lol: All the businessman here wear your standard premade 'whatever brand name' suit, so I guess I shouldn't hold them to such high a standard. Sad thing is the businessman is kind of like a symbol of this whole on-the-fly-I-don't-have-the-time-to-shave thing.Justin
Yup, see them often, that "rushed" look... sad... almost makes me feel superior in some way... lolol

jfdupuis said:
I just finished honing my great grand dad's razor (my uncle thought I would like it so he gave it to me for christmas) using the unicot. THe blade has some tarnish on it, but it's not popping hair pretty well. I hope it shaves well!! I'm amaze how bullet proof that technique is. How many people can say that they shave with their great grand dad's razor from the late 1800s.
Damn! I am jealous… My granddad shaved with a straight and always had a clean face (may his soul rest in peace), but sadly his razor is lost to time… maybe that’s why I collect razors in his honor.
Take good care of it, keep it dry, so you may pass it on to your grand or great grandson.

tat2Ralfy said:
Super result well done :thumbup:

I just used the dilocut on my Gong 6/8 hollow and have to say it was a sweet experience, I can now get hht3 straight off the slurry! hht 4 off water and a 5 on a good day off the strop. I love the shaves and progress I have made with my beloved #10

Keep at it, it just gets better and better :thumbup:

Oh yeah I just counted my rotation and I have 14 shave ready razors, from a new this year Dovo best, to an early 1800's antique 8/8 W&B wedge. who said anything about RAD........lol

I'm working on a Gong 6/8 hollow right now... I'm glad to know that you like yours:thumbup:

Yeah they kick ass! I think all the ERN razors do.(I believe Gong are ERN 2633?) I got a Crown and sword 7/8 ERN 1166 as well and thats a very very nice shave.

Keep us posted how it goes? and I wish you the smoooothest shaves with it buddy

garyhaywood said:
Yours is a "La Grosse Jaune", Gary. It's a different layer than "La Grosse Blanche".
Just keeping the record straight. :)

I would expect that you'd find a minor difference in smoothness, but only if you did a direct comparison on identical razors.

Kind regards,
Bart.

So to report back from last time, I shaved with the two razors that I sharpening using no. 16, then gave them each 100 laps on my Nakayama after the first shave. The edge shaved very slightly better, but not a huge difference. One thing that I did notice was that my face was a little more sensitive afterwards, so I think the edge was a little less forgiving. But it was so similar, that if I hadn't have compared the razors before and after the Nakayama, I wouldn't have noticed a difference, so coticule no. 16 definitely left a nice edge for me. For the next several honings (I only have a handful of razors to maintain really....:( ) I will not finish on my Nakayama, so a coticule will be the last stone the razor touches, just to see how good of an edge I can get off the coticule alone.

As far as using no. 15 to finish a razor, the La Grosse Blanche one, I just honed a razor using it tonight. Based on Bart's results, I didn't feel like even trying the dilucot method with this stone since it takes more experience, so I opted out for the easy to use unicot method. Just honed it, so have yet to shave with it.... I will start a new thread for it with my results! I'm quite anxious to see how this seamingly very different coticule performed on my razor.

Back