ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

GETTING SHED OF TAPE

DJKELLY

I hate using tape. All the fuss, the sticky residue and rubbing my stone with plastic. I also am playing with bevel angles. I recently boughgt a Toyo from Scott that works great and it has almost a 19 degree bevel. Being the ever crafty Caucasian I took the smallest size of the strong, spring steel, lever-type paper clip that is 15mm long, took the levers off, and ground off the lever loops so as to leave only a triangular shaped piece of spring steel. This will slip right onto the spine of the razor. It will leave extra space on the spine, but that is not a problem since when you put the spine on the stone it will rest on the lower portion of the paper clip and give you the additional spine thickness you want. The metal in the clips is .01 inch, so it is not quite as thick as one piece of tape, but it works fine for most applications. If more is need, just tape the clip.

As you can see in the picture (that took me thirty minutes to find the right code go upload) I use two of the paper clips toward the center of the spine to keep them on the hone. I don't use unicot much, but this will make dilucot easy at the additional bevel angle.

IMG_0019.jpg

Recognize the blade, Urmas? Probably not in the awful pic, but thanks just the same.

I'm not really sorry for the lousy picture. It pissed me off that bad that Photobucket changed their format on me and I couldn't C/P the image code.

Angrily yours, Denny

This a good idea friend Denny ,but you heve to keep same clip always for the same razor and to locate them in the same position.
I know where did fing them ,you took from the a/c L.book.
Your Friend
Emmanuel

The clips are very hard, Emmanuel so it won't be a problem, I don't think. No, sir, there are no logbook parts missing. I only take much more expensive items. My last flight I'm taking the whole damn airplane.

DJKELLY said:
The clips are very hard, Emmanuel so it won't be a problem, I don't think. No, sir, there are no logbook parts missing. I only take much more expensive items. My last flight I'm taking the whole damn airplane.

I am just joking Denny i always wish you to heve secure flights with an empty of notes Logbook.
Best regards
Emmanuel

I have read that explanation thrice, and I'm afraid I don't get it at all. (too stupid) Neither can I make something from the picture either. (too blurred).

Kind regards,
Bart.

These will come in handy for sharpening knives too.
Nice idea Denny.

Edit: My, what hairy toes you have Dennis.

richmondesi said:
Thanks, Paul. I guess I don't speak Belch. That is the paper clip to which I refer. There are normal sized ones you see all the time, but this is the tiny one that I use for a money clip. (Very tiny wad, so to speak). The lever can be squeezed and they will come right out of their "loops" of steel, and then just grind down the loops so they will not interfere with the bevel hitting the surface of the stone. I used a pair of pliers to hold the paper clip against the grinder.

For you, Paul, London is not the place to get your aftershave. Jann is going to Paris this Friday. We haven't forgotten you, I promise.

RicTic said:
Nice idea Denny.

I had a bet to see who would bring that up, David. I am not at all surprised at the winner.

DJKELLY said:
RicTic said:
Nice idea Denny.

I had a bet to see who would bring that up, David. I am not at all surprised at the winner.
:cry:

Dang Brilliant, Dennis.

I can see issues, but they could be overcome. Unless you have a massive meat chopper w/ a very large spine, the spine could move within the binder clip, potentially giving a different angle with each flip of the blade. That could be overcome by either stuffing any remaining space between the spine and the clip walls with some kind of shim that keeps it either centered (preferable) or all the way to one side - requiring the shim be changed to the other side of the spine w/ each flip. Possibly, the clip could be compressed in a vise or with pliers to collapse the wide shoulder so that there would be no additional room between the clip and the spine.

pinklather said:
Dang Brilliant, Dennis.

I can see issues, but they could be overcome. Unless you have a massive meat chopper w/ a very large spine, the spine could move within the binder clip, potentially giving a different angle with each flip of the blade. That could be overcome by either stuffing any remaining space between the spine and the clip walls with some kind of shim that keeps it either centered (preferable) or all the way to one side - requiring the shim be changed to the other side of the spine w/ each flip. Possibly, the clip could be compressed in a vise or with pliers to collapse the wide shoulder so that there would be no additional room between the clip and the spine.

PL, the way I used it, the spine floats between the two halves of the clip and all you have to do is push the spine down to the bottom side of the clip each time you flip it over. It indexes into the same spot every time I tried it and the bevel is very straight. (I'd send a pic, but we all know how well I do that.) It is not as fast with X strokes but it works fine when you get the feel of it. It works even better for half strokes, obviously, since you aren't flipping it much.

The bigger deal to me that some of the experts should chime in on is bevel angle. Many of my razors have a lot of spine wear and this method is good for that, but I am wondering about a little steeper bevel on other non-worn blades as well, since I had such good results with the Toyo and its 19- degree bevel.

David, I got a real chuckle out of your emoticon only reply. Many times, less is more. Denny

Truly ingenious.

Question: Denny, you say the clips are quite hard. From the first experience, how does it look, one set of clip will last for 10, 100, infinite - or some other number - razor honings?

Being spring steel, they have to be hard, but they are only 1/100th of an inch thick, so I would imagine they would last many, many uses depending on the pressure one uses.

I have some I use for standing a razor to look at with my USB microscope. How are they at leaving marks or wearing gold wash Denny?

I have some I use for standing a razor to look at with my USB microscope. How are they at leaving marks or wearing gold wash Denny?

I was thinking about that too, maybe a layer of electric tape on the inside that also covers the sides of the clip?

Louis.

I just came up with the idea. I haven't done any extensive testing at all. If you are careful in grinding off the lower part of the clip, it will leave a slightly flared lip that would be gentler on gold wash. I would think twice before using the idea on a fancy razor in that you have to slide the edges over the blade and they can be sharp. You can also put the clip on so that the back of the clip is above the spine, the lips are off the surface of the blade and when in position, push them down. I am still playing with the idea, but it works great for worn spines, at least. Those that are used to using tape may feel like registering the spine on the stone at each turn may be a pain.

Back