ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Gillette Aristocrats

Well, after a couple of 1st generation acquisitions of late I took this picture yesterday, showing the results so far of my quest to collect one set of each and every razor/case combination that Gillette ever made within the Aristocrat family. So I thought I’d share for no other reason than our shared enjoyment :)

46B13474-8A4F-460C-954D-DCB10AE26ACE.jpeg

Upper row: Silver Pre-#15 in case w/ diamond imprint. Later #15 set: rhodium British rhodium razor in case with block letters. Later #15 rhodium French set. Later #15 rhodium British razor in case w/ diamond imprint.
Lower row: Later #15 rhodium Australian set. Silver Pre-#15 in bespoke all silver case, made 1936 by W.J. Myatt & Co., Birmingham, UK. Later #19 set. Later #20 set.

French Travelers set #3 after clean-up and a quite cumbersome refurbishment of the case. Now, if that Pre-#15 could arrive also from the US (5 weeks on the road and no sign of it) the 1st gen family would be complete!

View attachment 20163View attachment 20164
Well, you know that our president is subverting our mail system to prevent foreigners from taking good old American razors out of the US. Of course nobody told him that your particular razor was made in England. :kaputtlachen1

Well, you know that our president is subverting our mail system to prevent foreigners from taking good old American razors out of the US. Of course nobody told him that your particular razor was made in England. :kaputtlachen1

Ha, Les, too funny. But this one apparently snug out under the radar because now it is stuck with Danish customs :banned

thank you.i absolutely agree..my aristocrat collection consists of the late #15 oc,a late #15 3rd gen and an ucased pat pending 4th gen.i have a black cased #21 2nd gen on the way..and the '39 #47 popular set as well..the best brits imo..:).

Nice, good work!!! - I too am working on a couple of projects, and awaiting delivery of this long wanted #70 case for my wonderful #70 razor.

7BEDDEBE-3212-495B-BA6A-8345B0AEC137.jpeg

Nice, good work!!! - I too am working on a couple of projects, and awaiting delivery of this long wanted #70 case for my wonderful #70 razor.

View attachment 20450
very nice.looks very clean,wonder what happened to the razor?i guess some people put the case away and forget over time..i am want to find a black #22 case at some point. for my 4th gen.

very nice.looks very clean,wonder what happened to the razor?i guess some people put the case away and forget over time..i am want to find a black #22 case at some point. for my 4th gen.

Thanks. Yes well lone Aristocrat cases in good condition are much harder to come by than lone razors. I’ve been looking 2 years for this case and had to pay as much as I did originally for the razor...

In 1958 the British Gillette organization introduced one last numbered set into their by then 30+ year old Aristocrat line. They simply took the rhodium plated 4th generation razor sold at the time in the #66 set, nickel plated it and presented it in a new case, and coined the combo the #70 set. For the latter they used the same ground model as the #66 case but gave it new colors outside and in along with a new logo on the inside top of the lid. But the most remarkable design addition was the outside top of the case where a beautiful silver colored fleur-de-lis type pattern was added. Quite unique and never seen again.

The #70 set, and the case especially, has turned out nowadays to be pretty hard to come by, as it was only offered for a couple of years whereas the #66 set was sold at least from 1953 to the end of the decade.

My #70 razor was the first British Aristocrat I ever got and I love it to bits. I use it at least once a week as it is my absolute favourite shaver of the 100+ razors I’ve tried, only matched by the Gillette Hybrid Tech. Perfect weight, perfect handle length, perfect balance and very mild, almost no blade feel and incredibly smooth with a sharp Feather blade. The model design is basically identical to the #58 and even the Rocket HD, but of course with the added detail of the gorgeous barberpole handle pattern.

Since getting the razor I have been searching high and low for a case for it, but I only succeed a few weeks ago where a fine condition specimen surfaced on the bay, sold out of Minnesota. Only downside to it is that the top is slightly damaged, whereas it is otherwise in great condition for its age and presents very well.

I am still looking for the 100% matching 20 pcs plade dispenser as pictured in the original advertisement. For the picture I have put in another dispenser (British made) which may be slightly younger.

Even with this final detail lacking I still consider this set quite a high point of my Aristocrat collection.

A543D457-731A-4DC7-9933-DF0992932017.jpeg
FC7D8120-83F6-4ABA-B44D-3B47FF16B0E5.jpeg
67DCC693-93D7-4E46-8B62-12E29A40303C.jpeg
9D01E313-66D0-41F7-8660-B2D0E0BCB9B1.jpeg

Back