ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Gillette Aristocrats

In 1958 the British Gillette organization introduced one last numbered set into their by then 30+ year old Aristocrat line. They simply took the rhodium plated 4th generation razor sold at the time in the #66 set, nickel plated it and presented it in a new case, and coined the combo the #70 set. For the latter they used the same ground model as the #66 case but gave it new colors outside and in along with a new logo on the inside top of the lid. But the most remarkable design addition was the outside top of the case where a beautiful silver colored fleur-de-lis type pattern was added. Quite unique and never seen again.

The #70 set, and the case especially, has turned out nowadays to be pretty hard to come by, as it was only offered for a couple of years whereas the #66 set was sold at least from 1953 to the end of the decade.

My #70 razor was the first British Aristocrat I ever got and I love it to bits. I use it at least once a week as it is my absolute favourite shaver of the 100+ razors I’ve tried, only matched by the Gillette Hybrid Tech. Perfect weight, perfect handle length, perfect balance and very mild, almost no blade feel and incredibly smooth with a sharp Feather blade. The model design is basically identical to the #58 and even the Rocket HD, but of course with the added detail of the gorgeous barberpole handle pattern.

Since getting the razor I have been searching high and low for a case for it, but I only succeed a few weeks ago where a fine condition specimen surfaced on the bay, sold out of Minnesota. Only downside to it is that the top is slightly damaged, whereas it is otherwise in great condition for its age and presents very well.

I am still looking for the 100% matching 20 pcs plade dispenser as pictured in the original advertisement. For the picture I have put in another dispenser (British made) which may be slightly younger.

Even with this final detail lacking I still consider this set quite a high point of my Aristocrat collection.

View attachment 20597View attachment 20598View attachment 20599View attachment 20600
very cool set.the 1953 u.s diplomat had a similar case as well..very nice.
1953 Diplomat 1953 Y4.jpg

Now aren't these beautiful ... These aristocrats are the reason I've started looking at Gillette even though I'm a slant-collector.

Last night I spent enjoyable time taking this pic of my 2nd - 4th generation Aristos, after arrival of the #70 case and the extra 3gen for the French set. Still have inbound the original 20 pcs blade dispenser for the #70 (thanks to a friend in Hungary).

So I thought I’d share along with an updated pic of the 1st generations also.

In full, I think I am just about there, save a few very rare sets that are almost impossible to find. It’s been a heck of a ride and I have received a lot of help to get there :)

F9EBC57B-9C94-410D-8FF8-660F8CE79386.jpeg
B14EF2C2-6336-4DCA-A4F1-4DF4692E37CC.jpeg

Last night I spent enjoyable time taking this pic of my 2nd - 4th generation Aristos, after arrival of the #70 case and the extra 3gen for the French set. Still have inbound the original 20 pcs blade dispenser for the #70 (thanks to a friend in Hungary).

So I thought I’d share along with an updated pic of the 1st generations also.

In full, I think I am just about there, save a few very rare sets that are almost impossible to find. It’s been a heck of a ride and I have received a lot of help to get there :)

View attachment 20641View attachment 20642
fabulous collection,well done..:)

Back