ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Globus / Globusmann, Edmund Bergfeld & Sohn, Solingen

Hellas

Blade Whisperer
Here an unmarked "Globus" razor. I could only identify it when I saw its counterpart in the bay with the mark "Globus" on the lid and found it on page 128 of the Razor Compendium. "Globus" as well as "Globusmann" were brands of the company Edmund Bergfeld & Sohn from Solingen. The razor does not seem to be too common and in the bay one would say "very rare":)

The bar may look a bit brutal, but the razor is not aggressive. In my opinion it is a bit more direct - and also noticeably more thorough - than e.g. a Merkur 34 or the EJ/Mühle derivatives, but without reaching an R41 level. I used the razor with ASP, BIC, Sputnik, Ladas, Astor, GBE, Personna and Voskhod and it worked quite well with all of them. It is estimated that the razor dates from the 30s to early 50s of the last century.

Globus1.jpg
globus2.jpg
Globus3.jpg
Globus4.jpg

Here an unmarked "Globus" razor. I could only identify it when I saw its counterpart in the bay with the mark "Globus" on the lid and found it on page 128 of the Razor Compendium. "Globus" as well as "Globusmann" were brands of the company Edmund Bergfeld & Sohn from Solingen. The razor does not seem to be too common and in the bay one would say "very rare":)

The bar may look a bit brutal, but the razor is not aggressive. In my opinion it is a bit more direct - and also noticeably more thorough - than e.g. a Merkur 34 or the EJ/Mühle derivatives, but without reaching an R41 level. I used the razor with ASP, BIC, Sputnik, Ladas, Astor, GBE, Personna and Voskhod and it worked quite well with all of them. It is estimated that the razor dates from the 30s to early 50s of the last century.

This razor has wide teeth similar to the one side of the Neillite 400. It is a very interesting looking razor.

My contribution to the Globusmann thread is the mystery bakelite slant that Razorock Joe found a bunch of and sold most and kept a few to experiment in making a metal slant razor out of it. It evolved to the Stealth and finally to the Wunderbar. @efsk had mentioned to me that the original was probably a Globusmann or a clone of one.

P1030287.JPG

An older, remarkably heavy, bakelite slant of the tilted not bent variety. Received only two days ago so not yet tested.
DSC04420.JPG
DSC04421.JPG
DSC04422.JPG
DSC04424.JPG
DSC04425.JPG
DSC04426.JPG
DSC04427.JPG
DSC04428.JPG
DSC04429.JPG

The head is way more crude than the AE one, more a very plump B3 type head. I am however looking forward to the shave with this one!

At first I was was going to post this as a unknown razor, but I think the handle identifies this to fit in this thread. I submit my unmarked globusmann slant razor.
31C4C5C9-3F1F-4F73-95F4-C46F3DA777C2.jpeg
1D1FE351-E3F0-4BCE-BAC9-13BCFBEC077C.jpeg

Attachments

• 48C7660F-D539-4DA6-A80E-707DFEE8039E.jpeg
    48C7660F-D539-4DA6-A80E-707DFEE8039E.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 38F9F317-866C-48EA-AC8E-0E2C9A38AFDA.jpeg
    38F9F317-866C-48EA-AC8E-0E2C9A38AFDA.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: ehv
One could guestimate 1919-1945, as the same shipper housed a razor with a DRP, which were issued during that timeframe. It can be narrowed down to 1932-1945, as 1932 is the oldest Globusmann/Edmund Bergfeld reference found (which does not necessarily mean the brand did not exist before that). So I think i it is safe to say 1930s.

Last edited:
Thanks. I saw the catalogue you have posted and wondered if there was a date on it. I have one of the slants E800, so was hoping to put a date on it.

Thanks. I saw the catalogue you have posted and wondered if there was a date on it. I have one of the slants E800, so was hoping to put a date on it.
No date on it, unfortunately, but 1930s seems right. Before the end of the 1920s, Ohligs was a seperaty town from Solingen. On shaving-equipment it is then referenced as Ohligs, Solingen. Then, municipal reform came, and Ohligs, with Wald and two others, became part of Solingen. Since then, it was Solingen-Ohligs, until, shortly after the war, everything was just Solingen.
So the Solingen-Ohligs on the catalogue places it in the 1930-1945 timeframe, and during ww2 not many catalogues will have been produced, certainly not with the amount off full-metal razors in this catalogue: steel went to the war effort, which is why Solingen was more or less carpetbombed November 1944.

No date on it, unfortunately, but 1930s seems right. Before the end of the 1920s, Ohligs was a seperaty town from Solingen. On shaving-equipment it is then referenced as Ohligs, Solingen. Then, municipal reform came, and Ohligs, with Wald and two others, became part of Solingen. Since then, it was Solingen-Ohligs, until, shortly after the war, everything was just Solingen.
So the Solingen-Ohligs on the catalogue places it in the 1930-1945 timeframe, and during ww2 not many catalogues will have been produced, certainly not with the amount off full-metal razors in this catalogue: steel went to the war effort, which is why Solingen was more or less carpetbombed November 1944.
Thanks for such a detailed explanation. Your knowledge is extremely impressive. What do you think would be the price for the brown slant today?

Back