ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Gold dollar razors...

jfdupuis

Well finally got my two razors yesterday and wow...talk about some useless pieces of crap! The grind is so uneven and the heel is super thick making the razor pretty much impossible to hone. Garbage it is...

Indeed you may want to grind down the stabilizing piece at the heel a bit... or it may collide into the edge of the hone.
Though these razors are "ugly", they do give a nice shave when honed well... great for perfecting the honing stroke too.

Depending on the GD, if you're careful, you can do without grinding down the stabilizer. But grinding it down certainly makes any future work easier.

GD is an exsellent razor to test your restoration skills on
It can result in less breakage of vintage razors
And actually they work pretty good when finished

I have experience a pair of these and as said once reworked they do make a very nice shaver, be aware though, you will need to buy a higher model number, look for the one with carbon fibre looking scales (they are plastic) and go for one of those, the lower models can be simply diabolical

And expect to rework the edge, like I say once honed it will shave well, and test your honing skills, because once you can get a good shave out of these you know you can hone. :thumbup:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I got the higher number (fake graphite) one and it's terrible the heel is so messed up. I don't plan on doing any restoring work on them. They'll likely end up in the trash can.

tat2Ralfy said:
(...)look for the one with carbon fibre looking scales (they are plastic)(...)
Could you please share some pictures Ralfy? I suspect I may have two of such, but after having read something on SRP I dismissed them as being crap, maybe I should give them a try?

regards,
Matt

Matt as soon as I get home I will post a picture of mine, btw I did a deal were a member bought 2 and sent them to me, I honed them both (which meant removing frowns) and got to keep one for my efforts, they both turned out to be very good shavers, but as said needed a little major work.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

One of my Mystery Razor customers sent me a link to this problem. The Gold Dollars are made of good steel. The forging, heat treatment, and hollow grinding are done properly. The finish grinding and scaling may need correction. The factory was not receptive of constructive criticism, and I do not represent them at this time. Email me off list with pictures or a description of the problem and I will try to help with the correction.

Welcome Mystery heres mine, all sorted and a great little shaver, for less than a high end tube of shave cream:

dc70c1fe.jpg

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Those scales send shivers down my spine. Like road accidents. Exciting in a bad way.

Anyhow, this is to inform you that you've been pulled over the barrel. $40 for this thing?

Nice 208, one of the messages I have mentions the heal extending past the scales. This is corrected in hot water. In a sauce pan bring the water to a rolling boil. Remove from the heat and wait till the boil dies down. Hold the blade with a rag and submerge the scales in the water and count to ten. Remove the scales from the water and lightly bend more curve into the scales. I say lightly because the bend required is half what you expect it to be because you are changing the position of both ends. May take a couple of times to get the shape were you want it.

BeBerlin said:
Those scales send shivers down my spine. Like road accidents. Exciting in a bad way.

Anyhow, this is to inform you that you've been pulled over the barrel. $40 for this thing?

Oh I would never pay anything like for that for cream/soap, but these GD's only cost under £10, and as Mystery says they are fundamentally sound, the scales are easily treated as he advises, and TBH they dont all need it, and the metal work needed to put the blades right is IMHO very rudimentary.

Best Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

You said 'high end cream', though ;)

Anyway, this is a picture of my personal experience with GDGD razors, just for the record. Damn poor show if you ask me.

main.php

Nows thats BAD

But I could fix it :thumbup: and I believe the higher the model number, the less of that sort of thing you get

The way I see this sort of thing is this:

If you dont spend the money, expect to spend some time..

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
Absolutely. I keep wondering why one would do that, though. From what I've read so far, at least 50% of them are broken in one way or another. Even if you can fix the problem ("fixing" mine would have meant to break the ridge, and we all know what that means), you will still end up with a God ugly piece of razor - at a price that will get you a beat up, but serviceable vintage.

Well, horses for courses and all that. :)

Regards,
Robin

BeBerlin said:
tat2Ralfy said:
Absolutely. I keep wondering why one would do that, though. From what I've read so far, at least 50% of them are broken in one way or another. Even if you can fix the problem ("fixing" mine would have meant to break the ridge, and we all know what that means), you will still end up with a God ugly piece of razor - at a price that will get you a beat up, but serviceable vintage.

Well, horses for courses and all that. :)

Regards,
Robin
Well maybe not all, Robin. I probably know what it means, but not by "break the ridge". Would you please clarify. Thanks, Denny

Back