ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Got my first Coticule!

kg4ghn

Got my first coticule from thesuperiorshave in today!

I love straight shaving. I love the whole process, the stropping, honing, everything. But I actually quit straight shaving b/c I couldn't get a close shave. I could get an OK shave with very little irritation but it wasn't even close to being BBS. Not that that means everything, but I can get BBS or real close to it almost every shave with my DEs and SEs. I had been using a Chinese 12k to do my touchups on. I read a couple of threads on B&B where some people who had been shaving with a straight longer than me said they didn't like the edge off of a C12k. So just for the hell of it I sent one of my straights out for two reasons: to check the edge on one of my straights that I had touched up several times to make sure my honing stroke was ok, and just to see what a different finish would feel like. Both of my straights had been pro-honed, but that was back when I first started and my technique was bad so I didn't have anything to go by except for my C12k edges, and a barber hone that I used once and hated. The honer said the edge looked fine under magnification. I requested that it be honed on a coticule.

I got the straight back the other day and got 3 of the best shaves I have ever gotten with a straight razor. They matched my DE and SE shaves. I went ahead then and ordered me a coticule after researching for a day or two. Just to eliminate any variables I did a fresh touchup on my other straight with my C12k and shaved with it. I shaved with it and got the same crappy shave I used to get.

Anyway, sorry for the book. I have a crappy cell phone picture, my charger for my camera is in my wife's car so the camera is out for now.

1215101616.jpg

Welcome!

Yes, if you would like to know the layer name of your Coticule, we definitely need well focused picture, both of the surface and of at least one long side.

It looks like a perfectly sized bout. And you've come to the right place if you need guidance with putting it to good use.

Good luck!
Bart.

I will take better pictures in a few days when I get my camera up and going again.

I am stuck at home with the roads iced over and can't leave, and my wife can't come home. I live on a hill and the little town I live in isn't prepared to deal with ice as it usually isn't much of a problem in Georgia.

Welcome from me too :thumbup:

sounds like the weather is pretty bad there, I would hate being stuck in the house, but a few day without the wife......:thumbup: lol

Best regards and please ask as much as you like, we are a friendly bunch
Ralfson (Dr)

Seeing as how I'm stuck at home with a new coticule, I tried dilucot all the way through.

The good thing about having a Chinese 12k is that they are crazy slow, and after 10-15 times touching up my razors with it, at 100+ laps per touchup, I feel I already had a decent honing stroke going into this.

The first time I tried dilucot, I dulled on a beer bottle and raised some slurry but when I started honing the stone kept drying out on me. I did get the entire edge to shaving arm hair. I re-watched the video and realized I didn't put enough water on the stone to start with so I started all the way over. Re-dulled the edge and everything. After taking my time, I got it back to shaving arm hair again, did 15 dilutions with a set of 15 halfstrokes between dilutions, then a splash of water, set of halfstrokes, clean stone, set of halfstrokes, clean stone and razor again, and 50 light x strokes. Then I stropped 60 webbed fabric, 60 leather on my SRD english bridle strop.

After all of this I am getting a consistent HHT3. I will shave with it tonight or tomorrow night to see how it feels.

I don't think I did too bad for my first time through it. Of course I have LOADS of room for improvement and I look forward to really getting to know my particular coticule.

I'm totally clueless with regards to the different layers, except for those layers of which I happen to have an example.
Anyway, it looks like the backside is black slate, no BBW. As far as I'm concerned that makes the identification harder.

La Dressante? Maybe La Nouvelle Veine? I'm still figuring out the markers for these veins. I'm leaning toward La Dressante, though.

i'll take a guess that its la drassante, the pattern looks familar with la drassante.what ever it is i'm sure it will work just fine.

Bart said:
La Dressante - Upper Layer.

See n°69 of the Vault

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thanks Everybody.

When looking at the notes for that it says this:

Finishing properties, water only: Brisk(range: brisk - engaging - mellow)

How brisk is brisk? I bought a coti specifically for the mellow edge. I like smooth more than super sharp.

I ended up trading the straight I honed the other day before I could shave with it, and I haven't tried it again so I haven't shaved off of my coti yet.

Did a google search, answered my own question:

Bart said:
You tell me, because I really haven't got a clue. For finishing, I find Coticules all very similar. The 3 edge qualifications I use, "Brisk", "Engaging" and "Mellow" are very close range, and more based on a vague impression of mine, then on solid observations.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Great!

If you figure out your Coticule well, I guarrantee you that you'll like it.

"Brisk" does not mean "crisp". Far from.

Paul has once performed a perfect exegesis of my three words for the feel of a Coticule edge.

richmondesi said:
Bart,

Brisk = a crispy, rejuvenating feeling that lasts for a some time. I would imagine this edge would give a tingle that would make a gentle breeze feel especially cooling and would be quite pleasant on a hot summer's day.

Engaging = This edge would be slightly crisp, but not lasting as long as a "brisk" edge. I would imagine this edge would be invigorating and refreshing, leaving a man alert and ready to take on any challenge.

Mellow = This edge would be totally smooth and devoid of any discomfort. This would feel a face smooth, but it would lack the rejuvenating tingle of the other types of edges. I would imagine this giving a gentleman a very calming, almost "zen" like sensation. This type of edge would be especially desirable on a cold, windy day I'd imagine.

As you know, all types of hones feel different, and everyone has different preferences. I think you've captured the different types of excellent finishes without giving it a good, better, best designation. It would be unfortunate if these descriptors were taken that way.

There's little to add.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back