ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Got myself a boar shaving brush

Jantjeuh

Oh lord, does it stink! It's an Omega 48, looks awesome, smells horrible. It comes straight from Rome, and it smells like it walked its way all the way over here :scared:

I washed it five times already, still stinks like no tomorrow, it's CRAZY, unbelievable :lol:

How long untill the smell is gone?

It's very soft however, I was not expecting this. It has a lot of backbone, yet very soft even compared to my badger. I think this will become my new favourite for soaps.

Wow, i would like a boar, I think there are 2 important things
buy quality, low quality boar brushes are BAD
they take some breaking in, and smell like a dead dog for a while
However they will give you wonderful lather and last a long long time if you can stick with
Congratulations

The brush is fantastic, truly nice, didn't shed a single hair after all the abuse I gave it. They sell it everywhere in Italy, I'm pretty sure that at least half of the population that uses a shaving brush in Italy is using this model. Every city and town I've been there they sell this brush and Proraso :)

Its just the smell lol, wow, I read it stinks the first few shaves, but I thought it would just 'smell', but this one... really stinks! :lol:

It's a very cheap brush by the way if you compare it to a badger, I think you could get it for under 15 dollars, in Italy it's not even half that price I believe. But it's cheap because its boar, it's a very quality brush I'm sure.

Also, and I know people will not believe this, but a boar brush is very soft after a while. This one for example is already very soft, my badger 'prickles' a lot more than this boar. That said, my badger brush is horrible and I've order a knot to make my own silvertip brush.

Anyhow, I really recommend soap users to try a badger, they are cheaper than a movie ticket (here at least), so why not give it a try, you'll be surprised. I've been waiting for mine for a loooong time now, and am very happy I finaly have a boar again :thumbup:

I'd really like to get a Semogue (is that how it's spelled?) boar brush. People say that they get softer than pure badger, which is what I currently have, and I find it to be rather prickly. And when I say soft, I mean as in touch, not backbone. I don't really like how my Rooney performs with soaps, it's just not strong enough to get any soap off the dang puck, but that boar would work wonders.

Justin

Mmm
I use a Kent pure badger, not a prickle to be felt, and when it comes to picking up soap, I just reach round the handle to grip the bristles with my fingers and thumb, this shortens them (the bristles not my fingers..lol) and stiffens them up a treat

I would love a Semogue too, Bruno sells a good range over at: http://vintagescent.com/

Boar senses tingling! I must go! ;)

Boars are great. I will freely admit, when I got my first Omega it REEEEEEEKED. For a good 4 days. Like, a dead animal in my bathroom. But then it died down and that is still my go to brush.

You can read about it here: L'Ultima Setola

I have two other omegas, one identical knot to the first in another custom handle, and one 21047 that is a beast of a travel brush. These others actually didn't smell at all...I don't know why.:confused:

I also have a Semogue 1305 boar, and it is very quickly (I'm almost ashamed to say this) replacing my Omegas in rotation...it's very much a different brush to the Omegas, but wonderful in its own way. I will be getting more of these, no doubt. Class, old school style, handmade feel, and pure quality. No doubt about it, winners.

Boars do take a bit of time to blossom into their true potential, and they are DIFFERENT from badger. Don't approach boar as just a cheap badger brush, it takes a different approach--get used to it, and it'll take care of you fine.

People might not believe me, but I've tried badgers made by the big names--$150 brushes by Simpsons and Shavemac, and cheaper customs, and none of them ever got more than 3 or 4 shaves before I went back to boar.

Here Here Jim!

I use a Semogue Slivertip Badger myself, which I prefer over my Omega.
But I like your enthusiasm. Nothing wrong with a boar brush. Maybe I'll buy one of those Semogue boars at some point. I'm actually waiting for Bruno (aka Leon) to show his face around here. ;)

Bart.

Bart said:
Here Here Jim!

I use a Semogue Slivertip Badger myself, which I prefer over my Omega.
But I like your enthusiasm. Nothing wrong with a boar brush. Maybe I'll buy one of those Semogue boars at some point. I'm actually waiting for Bruno (aka Leon) to show his face around here. ;)

Bart.
I've got one of the Semouge Silvertip 730 and I recently bought the matching 620 Boar brush , which imho is really nice and ...... it doesn't stink like my Omega did when I first got it ..
For the 15 Euro or so I paid I'd recommend anyone to try these boar brushes .

Incidentally I bought my Omega boar simply because I loved the shape of the Ovankol handle :)

cheers Garry

Back