ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hey Justin

tat2Ralfy

Sorry mate buts its official, I just cant bear to be parted from the Globusmen razor, the shaves are just too sweet, so I thought I would send you another of my pride and joys to try your hand at honing, its a Gotta 120, same German steel, takes a very very keen edge, I have honed it up with the Unicot method, test shaved it and if you want to give it a go I will post it out this week, what do you think?

[c]
100_1333.jpg
[/c]

I don't blame you Ralfy, I wouldn't want to part with her either. This one looks just as good, though. It's not everyday you see a Gotta.

I think this will be a good opportunity to experience another's honing. I'll be sure to post my thoughts after a few test shaves. After that I'll hone her up, ship her back, and you can do the same! Should be interesting.

Thanks mate,
Justin

Ralfy is right, these do take a great edge. I honed up a Gotta a couple of months ago and found it did shave very smoothly.

Great Razor!

Ray

justin said:
I don't blame you Ralfy, I wouldn't want to part with her either. This one looks just as good, though. It's not everyday you see a Gotta.

I think this will be a good opportunity to experience another's honing. I'll be sure to post my thoughts after a few test shaves. After that I'll hone her up, ship her back, and you can do the same! Should be interesting.

Thanks mate,
Justin

I cant wait Mate

First off, this is a nice looking razor. The scales are solid, and classy, which adds a lot to a razors appearance.

I gave it a wet-down of some sanitizer, stropped her, did my thing in the bath, etc.

The shave was wonderful. I think I could best describe it as 'gentle'. I found it to be gentler than my honing. Maybe kind of like the difference between warm butter, and butter that has been out of the fridge an hour but is still quite firm. (If that makes any sense!) :lol: As a result my face was left not as 'fresh' feeling as usual, which is great after you've shaved a several days in a row, and need a break.

Using my usual routine I noticed that a couple of the odd spots, like the jawline, weren't as close a shave. The shave was still BBS, but if I rubbed it good I could feel some hairs in there. Also, maybe 6 hours later I can feel the stubble coming back more than I usually find. This is with my usual 3 pass shave. If I went for a 4th pass I probably wouldn't have seen any sign of hair till I laid my head down at night. How many passes do you usually do Rafly? I might have been babying it a little since I was taking it nice and slow (yay winter break!) that might account for it. Overall a very smooth shave. Like butta! :thumbup:

It'll be interesting to see what Ralfy has to say about my hone job.

chippy042-1.jpg

Justin

AWESOME! :w00t: hahaha

I do 4 passes, well 3 on the cheek and 4 under the jaw being; north-south, south-north, then 2 diagonals 1 up and the other down, I sometimes do a quick touch up just under the jaw line to finish, but thats really pushing the skin and I get a little burn if I do that everyday.

Sooo glad you like the shave :thumbup:

I would go for it next time and see how it goes, keep using it for say a week?
Mmm I am sorely tempted after such a good review to send you out the pink corseted "Globusmen" for a weeks trial, just for you to shave with, I am happy to try your honed edge just on the Gotta for now .... lol of course I have no doubt that you would easily do at least as good a job as me honing either razor.

Thanks Justin its good to know you like what I did with the old girl, I look forward to seeing how I get on with your honing my friend :)

Hey you guys!!... you all started the carousel and didn't tell? me:-/

humor aside, very interesting thread... good show Ralfy, if anyone could get that Gotta shaving sharp it's you.

Have two of those Gottas but I'm yet to try them out, because I haven't gotten around to restoring yet... one's rusty but the blade is solid, the other... well lets just say it's messed up pretty bad lol.

Sorry for such a late reply Ralfy. I've been trying to take a break from the computer, I spend too much damn time on this thing during school! This month long break was much needed. :)

It's been a real pleasure. I plan on honing her this week. I'll try my best.

Now it's time for a beer!

Cheers,
Justin

Its no sweat Justin, glad you enjoyed the shaves, how did you get on in the end? did you use it more than once?
I am really looking forward to trying it once honed by your good self :thumbup:
SHAVE ON!

I used it once more and it was great, better than the first. Then I botched the edge scraping some dried soap scum I had missed with the cloth. :(

justin said:
I used it once more and it was great, better than the first. Then I botched the edge scraping some dried soap scum I had missed with the cloth. :(
DOH! hahaha
Oh well as long as you didnt catch yourself, tell you what when it comes back i will send you out another for your appraisal whatcha fink?

I'm terribly sorry for taking so long buddy.

I'm a bit rusty, haven't been getting much time in on the good ol' Coti. I have this razor popping hairs. It isn't blowing up hairs like I want it to be, but this is going to have to do. I don't want to keep your baby from you any longer.

When I get back at it, I'll send you my Boker wedge (well it's a wedge now :lol: ). It's a pretty cool little razor.

Justin

Awesome Justin I am sure the edge is more than good enough :thumbup:

Mmm the Boker sounds interesting very interesting (rubs chin and stares vacantly to one side)

Don't get your hopes up. Haha. I've been pretty busy at the start of the semester, but once I get into the groove of things I'll have plenty of time.

This Boker is pretty neat. I'd never heard of a Boker wedge before, and it certainly wasn't a wedge starting out. The hone wear is considerable. It was probably a 1/4 in it's past life. :lol: I don't have calipers to get an exact measure, but I'm going to do one layer of tape to get the bevel ready, then add another layer to do Unicot.

Justin

Back