ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Home brewing anyone?

Scotchhound1969

Hello all.

Names Mac...been a lurker on here for quite some time and used to be an active member on some of the other razor forums, but pretty much stay off of them these days.
I guess i just had an urge to post somewhere, regarding a new hobby i started about two weeks ago...so here goes. :w00t:

I essentially started researching and brewing Mead, because ive always been facinated with both the history and the flavor of it.

Do any of you homebrew...any type, be it beer, wine or even distillates?

Hopefully we will get something started in this thread and we can all learn something?

The first batch ive put together is called a simple Mead. It involves 15lbs., of honey, Lalvin 47 yeast, Fermaid K nutrient and of course water. Ive posted a picture of it for viewing and if there is interest, i can record updates of it progress.

Kind regards,

Mac

primaryfermentation032811.jpg

Hi Mac, it's nice to here from you, I trust you are well?

In order to post pictures in this section, you will first need to upload them onto a web based host e.g. Photobucket.com
That's the one I use, it's free and easy, then you can either use the little picture button on the top of the text box, and add the URL of the picture, or copy and paste the img code direct from photobucket.

I used to brew wine and schnapps, but that was a lifetime ago, and I also used to drink a lot of mead, lovely stuff indeed but boy the hangovers! Hahaha

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

Thanks Ralfy, all is well here. :)

I decided i need a new obsession, to pull me away from natural hones...so far the homebrewing is working. haha.

I will need to wait until i get home to update a photo of my first batch...it does seems to be progressing well and i hope to be sipping on it, by the holidays. Any info. you can recall, im all ears...what made you stop homebrewing?

Thanks,

Mac

Hi Mac,

I've done a fair bit of home brewing in my time, I mostly stick to country wines now (i.e. ones made with fruit other than grapes) as I reckon they are some of the easiest things to do as long as you stay patient!

Mead is a bit like this - but the fermentation takes for ever because honey contains no nutrients or acid so the yeast hasn't quite got the food it needs to work properly like it does in fruit juice. The nutrient you added will be good for it, but a lemon or 2 squeezed in the mix will help it get going and won't really show up in the final flavour. I've had a few goes and other tips I learned/worked out are 1) use really light flavoured honey - all honeys are different depending on the flowers bees have been visiting as I'm sure you know - really don't touch any honey from Australia for mead making as the eucalyptus can make the mead really bitter. 2) When the fermentation has finished and is mostly clear with a little sediment. Rack it off as soon as that happens - that means siphon off the clear liquid in to a clean jar and leave all visible traces of yeast behind. If left on the sediment it could taint the delicate flavour of the mead.

Good luck with the 1st batch - let us know how it goes. A lot of the recipes make it too sweet for me - anything over 3.5lbs honey per UK gallon is just unbearably sweet and around 3lbs makes a nice medium mead. Dry mead is just weird - the taste of honey without any sweetness freaks me out too much.

Cheers

Squeezy

Hi Mac You well come. I produce 1,5 tone wine and 600 kg of ouzo(Greek national distillate anise flavor) per year but as professional.I don't know if it is helps.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Ah ouzo :thumbup:

I don't recall quite why I stopped brewing? I think the fact that I am almost tea total may have played a part though :)

Best wishes again
Ralfson (Dr)

Yay! Finally got a picture up! :)

I was reading about some people using lemons, on some of the mead forums...thats great to have its usage confirmed. I think they used them to add some acid, as well as a nutrient?

This brewing is great fun! I'm going to put another batch together next weekend...a Cyser. Essentially a hard cider mead, then probably a melomel. Yes...im a bit OCD. :-(

Sigh...be nice if i could quit my day job for this...

Can on get ouzo in the states?

Thanks all,

Mac

Count me in with the home brewers. I've been making 10 gallon all grain batches now for about 6 years. I've been getting a serious itch to give mead a go as well.

I used to brew beers. I owned a pub that specialized in Belgian beers, and was in the middle of installing a micro-brewery and making test brews when I decided to change my career plans. I have missed brewing, but the hobby has to wait till I have time to reassemble the brewery.

Kind regards,
Bart

geruchtemoaker said:
tat2Ralfy said:
I also used to drink a lot of mead, lovely stuff indeed but boy the hangovers! Hahaha

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)
never had that problem with mead

kind regards
Stijn

Maybe you need Ralfy to coach up on how to get hammered... UK style :p

I used to brew Ale about ten or fifteen years ago, and enjoyed the brewing, and resulting consumption very much. It can be a rewarding pastime, just like everything else we produce with our own hands.
But, and this is a big but, for those that tend to put on weight it can be a bit of a problem. Homebrewed Ales are virtually "liquid bread," and can pack on pounds in a hurry. Add the great flavor, and it just became an endeavor I couldn't continue. Everyone else loved it, but it's not fun working at brewing a product that you yourself cannot enjoy, so I gave it up. I still have all the equipment, and my all-time favorite recipe for a Belgian Gran-Cru Ale, that contained honey, and produced formidable levels of alcohol.

For the lucky souls that actually want or need to put on weight, or are fortunate enough to have a metabolism that burns all the fuel taken in, you'll enjoy getting the most out of homebrewing!

Paul said:
geruchtemoaker said:
tat2Ralfy said:
I also used to drink a lot of mead, lovely stuff indeed but boy the hangovers! Hahaha

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)
never had that problem with mead

kind regards
Stijn

Maybe you need Ralfy to coach up on how to get hammered... UK style :p

Hahahaha, now that is not pretty hahaha

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Wow! It is so nice to see that alot of people, either do homebrewing or enjoy the results!

Currently im having trouble tracking down some fresh cider for the batch of Cyser i want to make...guess, i may have to wait until after harvest, in the fall or possibly get to juicing my own..though the idea of juicing 5 gallons, doesnt turn me on that much.

I'm glad ouzo can be found in the states...can anyone give me an idea of what it taste like?

I think after ive done a number of sucessful batches, i may give a go with Braggot...apparently it is a honey beer...much more complicated, this beer brewing and my hat is off to those you do it.

Kind regards,

Mac

Ouzo is basically the South-Eastern brother of Pastis (Pernod etc). While its taste may be fennel and mastic, its feel is more like "more Aspirin, QUICK!"

:rolleyes: You don't have to swallow it in German proportions, Robin...:D

I always thought anise was one of the major ingredients. Am I wrong with that, Emmanuel?

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back